Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 1.4 TDCI Gearbox problems

Ticktock

Hi all,

Hoping someone may be able to help me. My gearbox lever is all over the place insofar as that it is impossible to select reverse and that getting into other gears is tricky as well. When I get it into gear the clutch is fine and releases as I would expect, there are no strange noises from the gearbox. I am thinking that it could be the cables, would this cause a loose gearbox? I've had a very quick look under the gearstick gaiter and couldn't see anything obvious, I'm planning to have a good look tomorrow.

Any helpful advice would be welcome.

I'd want to say it is just a worn shifter mechanism, but I would take my word as gospel (I haven't seen it in person remember). Remove the boot under your gear shifter and look for any play.

check where the cables go on the gearbox also. on my fiesta 1.6 diesel they were under a black plastic cover on front of gearbox. probably same on yours but not certain. you need someone to operate gear lever whilst you look at the gearbox end of cables (head up under the front bumper)

Thanks the heads up. I'll have a look tomorrow.

I had the same problem with my old focus after a changed the clutch. Turned out to be the cables on the gearbox had popped back off easy fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for everyones help, it was the gear cable collet on the gearbox that had popped off, I think it may have happened before as I found the remnants of a cable tie that I think had been holding it on.

Nice & easy fix.