Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fuel economy

lasthope

what are people getting on 20quid fuel iam running focus 1.6tdci  2008 plate with no mods and not a heavy foot driver,,does this pic look about right and its just around the doors driving

20170713_111929.jpg

Best way to check is to fill the tank to the brim, (note the mileage), run it around til you get to at least quarter/half gone, then brim the tank again, and note the amount of fuel used and mileage again. This will give you a much more accurate figure than the onboard computer will (Mine gives me 4mpg more doing it manually than what the computer says). Work your miles per gallon out here: http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

• Like 2

We don't know how much per litre/gallon you pay for your fuel or how much was left in the tank when you last put 20 quid in. Also the distance to empty on any car must be a pretty rough estimation by the computer

Unless you do what Micro says there is no way to tell.

sad as I am, on my fiesta 1.5tdci diesel econetic I have been keeping a note of what I put in the tank for the last 11,000 miles (the longer you do it for the more accurate it is as the slight difference when the pump cuts out when refilling is averaged out over more miles). My calculation over that mileage is approx. 59.5 mpg, the mpg shown on the dashboard always shows about 3 mpg more than the true figure on my car.

don't no how much was in tank, stuck the 20 in when the warning light came on, and I let it go down to about 12 miles I think only had car for about 3weeks + now just going of my last car skoda 19tdi seemed I was getting more miles around doors then this focus

6 hours ago, lasthope said:

don't no how much was in tank, stuck the 20 in when the warning light came on, and I let it go down to about 12 miles I think only had car for about 3weeks + now just going of my last car skoda 19tdi seemed I was getting more miles around doors then this focus

have you given the car a service lately, oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. try not to drive around too much with the fuel low warning light on as you`ll start to get bits thats are in the fuel tank going around the fuel pipes and causeing you more problems 

"try not to drive around too much with the fuel low warning light on as you`ll start to get bits thats are in the fuel tank going around the fuel pipes and causeing you more problems"

I agree with this, and if you do run out of fuel you will get air in the fuel system and it is very difficult to bleed the fuel system again. You won't get the car started again by simply putting more fuel in it and turning the key, it would be bonnet up and fuel pipes off etc and a whole lot of messing about.  And bear in mind that the number of miles left is a rough estimation. Don't risk it by going that low, running out of fuel on one of these cars will cause a lot of pain.

• Like 1

I cheers lads car has full history last oil change  and service timming belt was 30th may

On 13/07/2017 at 1:49 PM, lasthope said:

This is the problem - you can't judge how much fuel you've used unless you get your fuel to a known quantity (cut off on the fuel filling pump - estimate). Unless you brim the tank you can't work it out manually, and only have the computer to work it out for you - which should be fairly accurate as long as the fuel supply system is working correctly and in tolerance - i.e. your injectors are injecting the expected quantity of fuel.

40.5 combined mpg on average is what I'm getting.. as per mileage, not a clue

I am  THE king of low fuel, I have never EVER filled my car to the brim (can't afford £60+) I have on numerous occasions run my car to 0 on the computer. Security reasons ( no one will pinch a car with no fuel in it will they) 😁 No crap ever come up my fuel lines, accept for a few tadpoles and newts, I've recently started using tesco momentum (£20-£30) a time and I've noticed an increase in my computer average from 28 ish mpg to 32 ish mpg. And i always thought it was a scam. More fool me.😉

i have had problems sucking crap into the fuel lines many years ago, but I think it may be less likely now as so much is plastic so less corrosion deposits from the tank and filler neck etc

• 1 month later...

Just back from a three week trip to Blighty. Had a hire car whilst over there and guess what it was.. A 2017 Titanium Ford Focus!! Not too sure of the exact engine but it was an Ecoboost and Petrol. Interestingly enough my combined MPG was only around 49 (My 2011 ZS gives me around 42) I was quite surprised actually.

My 2009 focus Zetec s 1.8 petrol holds 55 Ltrs I think, I that up to the filler cap ??   Anyway from brim full I can do 163 MLS easily under half a tank.

but I'm not sure if I should base it on 55 ltrs or say 60 because it's brim full ??

Base it on how many litres you put in to get it to the same point as it was when you started...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club