Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF removal help

Liam121093

Hello

I have a 1.6TDCI focus.

Anyone gutted there DPF.

I wanted to know if it will pass an MOT, also i have heard about excessive smoke.

I really want to remove it after a £650 bill just to clean it and replace a few sensors.

Thanks in advance.

If you got it gutted then it would fail it's next MOT. They're introducing a test to see if a dpf has been gutted.
A few years ago I got the dpf gutted on a 2.0 litre diesel mondeo and remapped too and there want any extra smoke.
I'm assuming that you do short journeys which kills DPF'S.
Once a week take your car for a 20 mile motorway run. Drive it like you stole it so to speak.
You could do a static regen by downloading Forscan on to your laptop and getting a modified ELM reader.
There's lots on here about it .

• Like 1

"also i have heard about excessive smoke.". i had a 2007 fiesta 1.6tdci which my brother now has (156,000 miles). Those fiesta don't have a dpf on them and it does not smoke so I don't see why removing a dpf on the same engine in a focus would neccessarily result in smoke. 

but removing a dpf is getting trickier from a legal point of view and some will say socially irresponsible, but if I had a 2005 Focus with one on and the 2007 fiesta with the same engine (£30 per yr road tax) did not have them fitted as new I would think that is a bit unfair to make me have a dpf. They were not fitted to the fiesta until 2009 roughly. And you are not getting a benefit of lower road tax for having one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

If you got it gutted then it would fail it's next MOT. They're introducing a test to see if a dpf has been gutted.
A few years ago I got the dpf gutted on a 2.0 litre diesel mondeo and remapped too and there want any extra smoke.
I'm assuming that you do short journeys which kills DPF'S.
Once a week take your car for a 20 mile motorway run. Drive it like you stole it so to speak.
You could do a static regen by downloading Forscan on to your laptop and getting a modified ELM reader.
There's lots on here about it .

Do you have any citations for that? I don't see any mention of an additional DPF "test" in the MOT guides other than the obvious, is it there and has it been tampered with

there is no additional testing of dpf yet, not heard of anything extra in the near future either offical or unofficial. but i stopped testing in january so i may be missing something since then.

Ive heard several stories about this but haven't found anything conclusive at all, where would be the best place to find out Ian?

There are changes in may to do with checking DPFs at the road side if you pulled over but I cant for the life of me find any mention to MOT changes...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles#history

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/611019/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

Cant see anything in that, id have thought it would appear on one of the two, cant see any future plans either so I wonder if there is some confusion over the MOT and the roadside testing...

as per your link, any new iminent changes will show up in special notices prior to being introduced

• Like 1

I had my "done" a few years ago and had no problems with MOT or smoke since.  Coupled with blanking the EGR and remap I have better performance and better fuel economy.  I could recommend a good place that does this near Bristol if that is near to you or you are willing to travel.  They also do DPF cleaning and other diagnostic / remapping services and they would definitely be able to advise you ((without any hard sell) and have great customer focus.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm only in devon so bristol is not far so any recommendation and rough price would be ideal.

The only reason i say "excessive smoke" is my dpf was completely blocked and all the exhaust fume blew out between the DPF and the turbo, trying to drive it was impossible as there was excessive black smoke, I have since had it cleaned by a garage as Forscan wouldn't clear it.

I have had the car remapped and EGR blanked and mapped out, I also have a spare dpf (cheap one of ebay) which was the one that was blocked but rather than cleaning a cheap one i cleaned the ford one (better quality) so i was thinking of keeping both and get one gutted and one for MOT.  

• Like 1

Nice one Liam. Looks like you knew what to do in the end. Enjoy your car now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Liam121093 said:

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm only in devon so bristol is not far so any recommendation and rough price would be ideal.

Try Avon Tuning in Tockington (just outside Bristol) - just look them up on Google for web site and contact details and ask for Gareth or James.  From memory it was about £300 or so for the DPF removal and remapping but that was about 3 years ago.  Would definitely be worth asking their advice around removing or cleaning and I have always found them spot on.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club