Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anti freeze coolant change

Patrico777

When to change my coolant ?? Not sure if I need to its still pink but smells badly

IMG_7692.JPG

There's no harm in changing its or you could buy an antifreeze tester to mate sure it's still ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 years old, was due its second change last year by dint of age.  If its not been done in living memory then go for it.

I'm not a fan of testers - the anti corrosion properties fail far faster than the anti freeze properties, and the testers are unable to measure that, rendering them somewhat pointless.

ford say lifespan of their factory coolant is 7 years but i'd change every 5.

either way your 11 year old festa should be well into its 2nd coolant change by now......

i tend to find the fluid turns orangey when stale from the bright pink when its fresh.

no reason not to do it really as its only a 40 minute / £20 job........

and if you do it yourself make sure to catch ALL the old coolant you drain out and not let spill onto the road or driveway as OAT antifreeze is highly poisonous to animals that drink it cos it tastes sweet - wouldnt want any dead pets to have to explain..........

Some firms like Fuchs do OAT stuff that biodegrades in the environment, but no one buys it because its over twice as much.

• Like 1

Which one is good just any pink antifreez ?

Just your regular Halfords stuff is fine.  Flush your cooling thoroughly to remove all traces of then old stuff, and Robert is your Mothers Brother.

ford say lifespan of their factory coolant is 7 years but i'd change every 5.
either way your 11 year old festa should be well into its 2nd coolant change by now......
i tend to find the fluid turns orangey when stale from the bright pink when its fresh.
no reason not to do it really as its only a 40 minute / £20 job........

all the newer fords are now going to 5 yrs for antifreeze change, older ones are 10 yrs.

19 hours ago, iantt said:

all the newer fords are now going to 5 yrs for antifreeze change, older ones are 10 yrs.

so ford are now  following my recommendation ?

smartest thing they ever did....

;-D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biff55 said:

so ford are now  following my recommendation ?

smartest thing they ever did....

;-D

opps, im wrong. i didnt check. i normally check before posting.

new fiesta

Initial change 6 years or 54,000 miles. After initial change, every 3 years or 27,000 miles - Drain, flush and refill with Super Plus
L

new mondeo

nitial change 6 years or 100,000 miles. After initial change, every 3 years or 50,000 miles - Drain, flush and refill with Super Plus 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club