Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear numberplate Mod I have just carried out.

Trillionz

I tend to approach things from a different angle:unsure: I ordered new number plates just to freshen my car up.

On the rear, one screw snapped and the other pulled the insert out. I'm a retired engineer so I thought I don't like that design........

and I took a hole-saw to the back of my new car and cut those two large dimples out.:ohmy:

My plate now sits flush,stuck with silicone, and I held it in place whilst it cured with two huge magnets.

No more warping for me.:smile:

I painted the holes first to prevent rust.

Am I the first or just following the herd?:biggrin:

• Like 2

At first sight that sounds a good solution as I find that after rain, or a wash, water always sits behind the rear plate, held by surface tension, and it's a pain to remove.

What happens when you want to 'freshen up' the plates in the future though?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjt said:

At first sight that sounds a good solution as I find that after rain, or a wash, water always sits behind the rear plate, held by surface tension, and it's a pain to remove.

What happens when you want to 'freshen up' the plates in the future though?

In the past I have used dental floss to cut the plate away but this is really well covered at the top and it may not work. At worst I'd trash the plate with a big silicone scraper. Then the remaining silicone usually rolls away with the fingers leaving the car untouched.

• Like 2

I'm a retired engineer so I thought I don't like that design. My plate now sits flush,stuck with silicone

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :laugh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trillionz said:

I tend to approach things from a different angle:unsure: I ordered new number plates just to freshen my car up.

On the rear, one screw snapped and the other pulled the insert out. I'm a retired engineer so I thought I don't like that design........

and I took a hole-saw to the back of my new car and cut those two large dimples out.:ohmy:

My plate now sits flush,stuck with silicone, and I held it in place whilst it cured with two huge magnets.

No more warping for me.:smile:

I painted the holes first to prevent rust.

Am I the first or just following the herd?:biggrin:

first for me :smile:

• Like 1

The beauty of silicone is you can take your time to position it and move it around. If you use the sticky pads you only get one go at getting it in the right place. Plus silicone does clean up completely when removing.:wink:

• Like 1

I like the sound!

Pic please!:biggrin:

• Like 1