Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark plug torque setting

mjt

I was going to fit new plugs to our Mk2.5 1.8HE only to find the useless Haynes doesn't give a torque setting for them. It only gives one for the coil retaining bolts.

So can anyone tell me what torque I should use for the plugs?

• Like 1

torquing up spark plugs is overrated lol 

• Like 1

just do them up tight don't no that there is a torque setting for them:smile:

NGK give this as a guideline. Personally I never torque them up. 

Tightening-torque-4.jpg

Thanks for that Stef.

Job done. The old plugs came out in perfect condition, all the same colour and the gaps still exactly 1.3mm. As far as I know they were the originals and have covered about 30,000 miles. They look like they could easily have done another 38,000.

• 3 years later...

Hi need to change mine but don't have a torq wrench so do I just finger tighten the plugs 

Thanks

Just judge by hand. Screw them in to the end then give a wee bit extra as long as they are secure don't overtighten them or you will have fun the next time. 

So i changed all the plugs I've changed the coil pack and still the same jumping between 800 and 1000 and settling around 800 should i try new leads

Disconnect the minus battery lead for about 10 minutes then put back and start the car and let it idle for a bit then take it for a run and let the ecu learn the new values. Also check the crank case breather pipe just above the throttle body beside the alternator they tend to swell up and tear at the bend due to the heat coming from the alternator and can cause kangarooing. 

I removed one of my plugs just to check it a few months ago and a couple of weeks later, it started misfiring and the EML was flashing, took it into Ford under warranty and they diagnosed a cracked spark plug and changed it. Had exactly the same issue on my daughters 2013 1.0 Ecoboost a couple of weeks ago when the plug I checked cracked the porcelain when I re-fitted it, and no I didn't overtighten them !!

Has anyone else experienced this ??

Yes, I had a cracked one after they were all changed by a Ford dealer at a service. It took a couple of weeks for me to notice the problem. The dealer swapped the cracked plug FOC.

OK well thats the next one I did the battery thing took out all the plugs just in case and put everythin back and it sorted out for about 5 mins sat on the drive and now just idling above 800