Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED build change over.

Tanisla2

I am still expecting flashes back at me when I see the full beam on and a car approaching towards me. I realised my first night that pushing full beam on at low speed will not auto dip!! I think you've gotta be travelling above 25mph for it to work.

I've left my lights in auto since I got my EDGE last December, It does the auto main/high beam switch when it sees tail lights in front, on coming traffic and lit streets. Not had one person flash me yet! (probably 'cos the light from the 1 candela halogens doesn't actually reach them :ohmy:) and they work all the time for me, they don't seem to be speed dependant, but I'll check that next time I'm out. One of the features I really like.

I did get the led upgrade and been flashed at again by an oncoming car. Maybe I could try the headlight levelling switch thinking about it!

the leds work great tho they they were an expensive upgrade!

• 3 weeks later...

I have read all the comments on this topic as I am looking at converting to Led headlights myself.

I thought I would start by following Tanisla2's link to the eBay page suggested.

On the lower part of this eBay page, I used the Vehicle compatability chart to check my Edge, and got the result of not compatible.

But as some of the contibutors to this subject have already fitted these to their Edge's I wonder if the compatabiltiy means light output rather than physical mounting.

As an electronics engineer myself (amongst my trades) I take on board all the comments about current draw over wire size, heat produced through a silicon junction, heat sink size location and functionality (as in mounting to basically a plastic frame in the headlight unit).

I don't really want to get the brighter halogen''s as also mentioned so I will keep looking at 3rd party led units to see if I can find any that in my mind are more suitable for light output, etc.

If I do find any, I will post my findings on here, for others to make thier own minds up as to how good.

Dave

The ‘not compatible’ might refer to Cambus compatibility rather than physical fit. So their may be electronic gremlins for DRL dimming for indicators, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

The ‘not compatible’ might refer to Cambus compatibility rather than physical fit. So their may be electronic gremlins for DRL dimming for indicators, etc. 

Good point, I had not considered that one. Will also check out (if I can).

Whilst looking at another vehicle's forum, I came across an article that was talking about Led lights having different lens's to their halogen counterparts.

I have just emailed my brother who works at Fmc to see if he can shed any more light on this.

Dave

• Like 2

I see what you did there ! 👆

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My brother got back to me saying that he has been unable to find out so far, he is still looking into though.

I also contacted my dealers to ask the question, they said they would get back to me, am still waiting for them to answer.

Will let you know when I find out more.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Was browsing today and found these.  What do members think of these and can anyone think of a down side ?  Not sure about how they get rid of heat. 

https://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng-6478-H15-Headlight-Conversion-KIT-with-Philips-Luxeon-MZ-R4-LED-Bulbs-4800lm-Lumen.html

Was browsing today and found these.  What do members think of these and can anyone think of a down side ?  Not sure about how they get rid of heat. 
https://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng-6478-H15-Headlight-Conversion-KIT-with-Philips-Luxeon-MZ-R4-LED-Bulbs-4800lm-Lumen.html

On the picture there looks like there is a flat piece of thatched material, it’s actually a copper braid that dissipates the heat, I would imagine once you remove the packaging at the opposite end of the bulb there will probably be two loops of it that will open out .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting, not seen these types of bulb before. I tried to order a pair but the order process is truly appalling. Cancelled it in the end.

I'll try and get some from eBay.

H

• 3 weeks later...

Has any one fitted the Philips XTreme vision 130s? I think I’m going to stick with halogen lights for now, but want something brighter than I have now (single candle?) and offering longer beam. I’ve used the Philips bulbs on a previous Mondeo and found them brilliant (no pun intended). 

With the Edge, I cannot understand why the lights are so poor. My wife’s EcoSport has standard halogen bulbs which are much brighter than those on my Edge. Is it the reflector design on the Edge which is rubbish, or just rubbish bulbs?

Watch this space, a recommendation for all three LED Bulbs is on its way in the next two or three day's.........................

H

I’m seriously convened about my lights now- nearly killed a bloke on a bike who had no lights on- but with a normal car I would have seen him before he got within 6 feet of me. Passengers often ask if My lights are even on! Have written to Ford about them but their not interested- I now prefer to use my 14 year old mx5 at night because the lights are so much better. 

Well, just be patient, hopefully in a few days i can make some recommendations and then its up to everybody if they want to try them.

About the bloke on a bike with no lights. You could have knocked him off quite gently so he was OK, but got the message that he should have lights on :smile:

H

Has any one fitted the Philips XTreme vision 130s? I think I’m going to stick with halogen lights for now, but want something brighter than I have now (single candle?) and offering longer beam. I’ve used the Philips bulbs on a previous Mondeo and found them brilliant (no pun intended). 
With the Edge, I cannot understand why the lights are so poor. My wife’s EcoSport has standard halogen bulbs which are much brighter than those on my Edge. Is it the reflector design on the Edge which is rubbish, or just rubbish bulbs?

I’ve had them on my Mk5 Mondeo for over 18 months and they have been better than the original bulbs but I still think my wife’s mk7.5 fez OEM Halogen lights are better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk