Join Premium & Save
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Tanisla2

LED build change over.

I am still expecting flashes back at me when I see the full beam on and a car approaching towards me. I realised my first night that pushing full beam on at low speed will not auto dip!! I think you've gotta be travelling above 25mph for it to work.

I've left my lights in auto since I got my EDGE last December, It does the auto main/high beam switch when it sees tail lights in front, on coming traffic and lit streets. Not had one person flash me yet! (probably 'cos the light from the 1 candela halogens doesn't actually reach them :ohmy:) and they work all the time for me, they don't seem to be speed dependant, but I'll check that next time I'm out. One of the features I really like.

I did get the led upgrade and been flashed at again by an oncoming car. Maybe I could try the headlight levelling switch thinking about it!

the leds work great tho they they were an expensive upgrade!

I have read all the comments on this topic as I am looking at converting to Led headlights myself.

I thought I would start by following Tanisla2's link to the ebay page suggested.

On the lower part of this ebay page, I used the Vehicle compatability chart to check my Edge, and got the result of not compatible.

But as some of the contibutors to this subject have already fitted these to their Edge's I wonder if the compatabiltiy means light output rather than physical mounting.

As an electronics engineer myself (amongst my trades) I take on board all the comments about current draw over wire size, heat produced through a silicon junction, heat sink size location and functionality (as in mounting to basically a plastic frame in the headlight unit).

I don't really want to get the brighter halogen''s as also mentioned so I will keep looking at 3rd party led units to see if I can find any that in my mind are more suitable for light output, etc.

If I do find any, I will post my findings on here, for others to make thier own minds up as to how good.

Dave

The ‘not compatible’ might refer to Cambus compatibility rather than physical fit. So their may be electronic gremlins for DRL dimming for indicators, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

The ‘not compatible’ might refer to Cambus compatibility rather than physical fit. So their may be electronic gremlins for DRL dimming for indicators, etc. 

Good point, I had not considered that one. Will also check out (if I can).

Whilst looking at another vehicle's forum, I came across an article that was talking about Led lights having different lens's to their halogen counterparts.

I have just emailed my brother who works at Fmc to see if he can shed any more light on this.

Dave