Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford reverse camera help (Factory fitted)

jace1969

Had my car coming onto 3 years and had the reverse camera done under 12 months cover (2011 titanium) it had complete rear camera which would of been

just under £300 fitted,i get most times the blue screen then just goes blank then all of a sudden it will work through the day and be ok after,mainly morning it plays up.

Where do these join in the boot and how do i get to it or is it the camera again,sure not every 12 months they play up as just want to clean plug cant find it.

All I can tell you is that in the mk5 mondeo it is behind the boot trim on the passenger side. It is a grey plug anchored to the body of the car. Just pull back the trim inside the boot under the parcel shelf support on the passenger side and see if it is there.
Failing that, the cam wires come from the tailgate and into the car via the rubber channel you see near the roof. Follow the wires that come out of there into the car and you will find the plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have taken the inside back panel off but cant see a lot,the camera was playing up when i had the car so i told them and had a new one fitted free.

I asked the person in our ford garage where is it but he said its a hard thing to get to but didn't have time to tell me in a lot of detail.

I know where you mean Jonro and i do hope it in there as a bit to play with.

Fingers crossed, but as I said I've just based that upon where it is on the mondeo. You will certainly find it if you trace the wires back from the roof liner

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Fingers crossed, but as I said I've just based that upon where it is on the mondeo. You will certainly find it if you trace the wires back from the roof liner

I did think a nice few on here had them on there Fiersta,will have to have a better look.

Or any advice if this is the problem like damp or water in the plug as the camera is only 12 months old.

What does the Blue screen indicate that camera as gone again or got water in as last time,i wish there

was a picture guide so i could follow as i would love to have a mess at this and try and solve it,never been A1.

Blue screen would indicate that no picture is being received from the counter. It could be an earthing problem, you would need to have a look inside the tailgate to see

14 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Blue screen would indicate that no picture is being received from the counter. It could be an earthing problem, you would need to have a look inside the tailgate to see

Cheers jon,so just now seeing where i start in the tailgate and they earthed the dam thing as a camera don't only last just over 12 months.

Ok after stripping the tailgate down i found out these are the 2 wires,the green and black connector so it is

either these playing up one of the connectors or the camera is gone.

I found out to take the plastic off (chrome strip ) the camera is so easy to get to but its sealed and only comes

apart on the 2 connectors in this picture.

I cant fine a picture of the camera and can i fit a cheap camera to the leads here.

Also if i was going to clean the connectors what is it best to use as all i get is blue screen then goes off.

IMG_1410.PNG

This stuff is as good as any http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-400ml

I think it must be both plugs for the camera, because all the wires will not be in heat black shroud. They are probably the power wires, the black plug will most likely carry the picture. Inspect the plug for any signs of corrosion or loose wires. You probably could fit an after market camera but you will need to know what each pin is for on the plug so you can wire it up properly. If you use aftermarket you are likely to lose the lines that move when you turn the wheel though.

As you can see on these 2 pictures its a sealed unit and both go into the camera,this is only about a 18 months old camera.

Yes the 2 leads are both to the camera the black connector and the green one so i will clean the green first as a thicker cable as you

said could be the picture one,where can i get one of these from online with the same green connector and what type of

connector is it.

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

I'm not sure where you would get a new camera other than the ford parts desk. I think there are 4 wires for the optical side of the camera and just the 2 from the power, so not sure what the shrouded wire carries. If I had to guess I would say it is the power wires though. You said in your other post the camera is 12 months old then 18months old, if it is just about 12 months give or take I would take it back to Ford if that's who did the job, it looks like it could be a driveway job though.

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I'm not sure where you would get a new camera other than the ford parts desk. I think there are 4 wires for the optical side of the camera and just the 2 from the power, so not sure what the shrouded wire carries. If I had to guess I would say it is the power wires though. You said in your other post the camera is 12 months old then 18months old, if it is just about 12 months give or take I would take it back to Ford if that's who did the job, it looks like it could be a driveway job though.

Yes mate sorry for that,the camera was fitted about 8 months into my 12 months cover when i had the car as i had the same problem but

it was worse so they put a new one in free on 24/2/2015 so its coming onto 2 years 5 months area so a complete mix up as i never looked

at the receipt,the other camera i had green screen/blue etc so this is like its going the same way,just something i wanted to solve as its there

and i don't think its the camera itself being not that old and being ford should last a lot longer so just looking at the connectors and now the

rear-view-mirror side see where it joins like under the front interior light unit somewhere,just trial and error stuff but would like to solve it.

Ok, so it shows in the mirror? It could be the connectors up there although there isn't a lot of movement up there. It's a shame that it's a closed system at the camera as you won't be able to to do any continuity tests. If you have a multimeter it would be worth checking the pins for a current. You're right, it should t fail this quickly. If it is a similar problem to the last one then it may be the wiring is the cause.

You need to first rule out that the camera is powering on when you put the car in reverse.

Can you put the car in reverse with the ignition ON but do NOT start the car. The camera should come on at this point. Leave it like this and go to the camera and see if anything happens if you manipulate the wires going into the unit. That will rule out a connection issue in the camera. If nothing happens in the viewing screen while you do this then disconnect both plugs and see what happens. I would imagine the screen will disappear. Then plug in the green connector and see what happens. If the screen goes blue then this is the power lead and you can narrow the problem down to the AV cables. If nothing happens then unplug that and plug in the black connector and see what happens, just to check this is not the power lead.

If the screen stays blue when both the plugs are out then camera is receiving no power at all. If it goes off then there is an issue with the AV cables.

I'm a bit stumped myself, without seeing it and having a good check of it with my own tools it's hard. Maybe someone else will read this and try to help

Put a post in the technical Forum, someone there may have a better idea

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Put a post in the technical Forum, someone there may have a better idea

I have just tried something and it came on with like rain drops on the lens.

Heated it up with an hair dryer not red hot just a good warm/hot air and left it a white then tried it and blue screen a few times then

the picture but as above with like its wet inside but and a big but its sealed so if this is the case these ford ones are 3 years of use.

Bit of a ££ job that a camera every 3 or 4 years and i never spray it just rub it over and this is the second one.

I have put one on Technical just to see if there is a fix but its very common on most reverse cameras as i have asked a few dealers and it

can happen anytime,mine 2 in 3 years.

Its water inside the camera which is sealed so im going to light heat and dry it then seal it the best i can like a bit of Gaffa tape around it so

just the lens is showing and see what goes on,also block the hole what underneath the plastic cover as damp and water can get up into the camera.

Jon you have been a great help on this as i would not know where to look on the tailgate to have a mess,i will try and solve it so cheers.

I hope you sort it Jace, it's really unlucky to have 2 fail in 3 years. If drying it out works then you could try sealing it with silicone rather than tape, silicone is much more water tight. You can get the stuff in pressurised cans or the good old fashioned tube with a ratchet gun. You won't need a great deal but you can fill the gaps in the plastic cover with it too. You can get clear, white and I think you can get black now too. If using that then I would put some on a gloved finger and rub it onto the housing of the camera paying attention to any seams and also where the wires enter. You can apply a couple of layers if you want to. You can never use too much, just let it dry properly.

No worries on sharing my thoughts I'm really glad it has been of some help. That's what forums are all about, just remember to pass it forward [emoji846] good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I hope you sort it Jace, it's really unlucky to have 2 fail in 3 years. If drying it out works then you could try sealing it with silicone rather than tape, silicone is much more water tight. You can get the stuff in pressurised cans or the good old fashioned tube with a ratchet gun. You won't need a great deal but you can fill the gaps in the plastic cover with it too. You can get clear, white and I think you can get black now too. If using that then I would put some on a gloved finger and rub it onto the housing of the camera paying attention to any seams and also where the wires enter. You can apply a couple of layers if you want to. You can never use too much, just let it dry properly.

No worries on sharing my thoughts I'm really glad it has been of some help. That's what forums are all about, just remember to pass it forward emoji846.png good luck and keep us posted.

Yes thanks,the only place i can see water could get it is the lens that pops out and always gets wet,the plastic cover whats color coded to

the car has a hole on the bottom so i blocked that and for now tried the Waterproof gaffa tape just round the body and looking into the lens

to see how i can cover it or only when i wash the car.

Cheers Jon.

• Like 1

Is the lens meant to pop out? I wouldn't have thought so. Instead of covering I would try and get it back in position and re-seal it

Here is a picture of the camera and it looks like it pops off but  knowing me i will break it or something,it does work ok

now and picture is fine,where the blue is it does look like it just comes off but its sealed unit so put some water proof tape

round that and also the other picture is the cover,the black bit is a sticky pad to block the hole up at the bottom as it

fits upside down,like a drainage hole but i have put clear silicone on it now as water got in and was all on the camera body.

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

I have come to the conclusion that this mini project is a no go and works when it feels free,one minute blue screen and off

and sometimes ok,aint got a clue where the earth is as goes into a bunch of wires as you can see on the picture (black connector)

So my next mission is to see if i can get a cheap camera as close as i have like £20 and sort out this dam green connector as only genuine

one comes with this fakra connector.

Another thing is what goes on either if car is running or not is the put it into reverse and a blue screen then nothing just goes off.

Some cases i hit reverse and camera on and works and stops on,i have pulled both wires off and still gets the same but no picture

just on with blue screen then off.

Is this wired to the reverse lights so hit reverse and lights come on and activates the camera and live and earth is anywhere as there

are 3 wires.

It might do, depending on the type of camera you use. I fitted this one into my mk5 Mondeo and it works perfectly. With this camera I would say that the yellow plug on the camera would plug into the yellow plug on the supplied wire and then the other end goes into the conversion lead you link to, and then it would be Fakra to a Fakra. The red plugs need connecting and this is your power supply, the two bare wires at the end would tap into the existing power wires going to the original camera.

This is only what I 'think' may work, not being able to see the car and get the wires in my hands is a big disadvantage. I don't want to give you any duff advice so please be confident with any of your subsequent actions, I don't want to be responsible for anything not working.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401306566437

Yes i will try this as its worth a try as £162+ for a ford one and around £20 in total for camera and a fakra connector its way

worth a go and then if it does its a cheap way by £140 save and i dont know if your like me but if its there i do like it to work.

Jon you have been a great help.

this is the ones im looking into as i just found them on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Reversing-Rear-View-IR-Camera-Parking-Backup-Night-Vision-Waterproof-UK/371993564155?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-RG174-6inch-Fakra-E-Male-to-RCA-TV-Male-for-Car-reverse-camera-radio-Video/382153559803?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club