Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New battery.

blue flash

Guys,Quick question.

60 Ah 595a battery on my car (1.6 petrol focus, 2011) could i put a 62 Ah 600a battery on it.

Many thanks.

4 hours ago, blue flash said:

60 Ah 595a battery on my car (1.6 petrol focus, 2011) could i put a 62 Ah 600a battery on it.

That capacity change would be fine. But the type of battery is also important.

Ford recommends Silver-Calcium type batteries for most cars, except for stop-start cars which usually need a more expensive EFB type of battery.

If the type of battery is not clear, have a look at the manufacturer's website or information pages to see if they recommend it for Fords, with the so called Ford smart charge system. The Bosch S4 & S5 ranges are excellent, and Yuasa state their calcium and calcium/calcium batteries are ok for Fords (but not stop-start).

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.The battery i was going to get is a Duracell DA62H advanced from eurocarparts, but after what you have said i don't think it would work.

The Bosch battery they have is a S5 but it's 63a and 610a but that might be a bit to power full for the car.

Cheers.

has your car got start/stop on it ?

Ah forgot to say,, yes it has.

so you must have an ecoboost 1.6 then? if thats the case and you have stop start then you need an efb(enhanced flooded battery)

• Like 1

That's it. yes an ecoboost model.

DSC05655.JPG

efb battery is whats required then, euro car parts lists 2 . exide efb 100 and Bosch efb100. both around £250

thats a good price for efb

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx7100.html

this is the one yuasa says it is. says £155 . says they are available at Halfords. i don't know if the price yuasa say is what Halfords would charge.

i did not realise these batteries were so expensive. I hope the one in my stop/start fiesta lasts many years. 

this is the q&a on enhanced flooded batteries. seems to say they just add some carbon in the plate manufacture:

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/agm-efb-explained/#efb

I do not know the reputation of Yuasa on car batteries. Many many years ago I worked a lot on japanese motorcycles and at that time Yuasa was the best brand of motorcycle batteries.

(Yog's reply was not there when  i started typing - that varta one seems very good price comparatively)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys, very helpful. iantt, the exide efb 100 in europarts is 65ah and 650a, mines only 60 and 590. is it to powerfull?

7 hours ago, isetta said:

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx7100.html

this is the one yuasa says it is. says £155 . says they are available at halfords. i don't know if the price yuasa say is what halfords would charge.

i did not realise these batteries were so expensive. I hope the one in my stop/start fiesta lasts many years. 

this is the q&a on enhanced flooded batteries. seems to say they just add some carbon in the plate manufacture:

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/agm-efb-explained/#efb

I do not know the reputation of Yuasa on car batteries. Many many years ago I worked a lot on japanese motorcycles and at that time Yuasa was the best brand of motorcycle batteries.

(Yog's reply was not there when  i started typing - that varta one seems very good price comparatively)

You can get the Yuasa YBX7100 from Tayna for £94.99 + £7.98 delivery:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/YBX7100-Yuasa-EFB-Start-Stop-Car-Battery-P10687.html

9 hours ago, iantt said:

....... around £250

ouch !

so all the money saved on stop starting the engine in traffic basically goes towards the cost of a replacement battery then ?

i can see a small flaw in this piece of environmentalist thinking lol.

:-)

• Like 2

ouch !
so all the money saved on stop starting the engine in traffic basically goes towards the cost of a replacement battery then ?
i can see a small flaw in this piece of environmentalist thinking lol.

:-)

but at least you can get them cheaper elsewhere as we have found out. good job i got a spare one in my garage. lol

"ouch ! so all the money saved on stop starting the engine in traffic basically goes towards the cost of a replacement battery then ? i can see a small flaw in this piece of environmentalist thinking lol."

it must be the same with starter motors also. First thing I do when I start my engine is press the button to disable the stop/start. I hate it.  It's so annoying that it does not stay disabled. I have to press it each journey. On some other cars it stays disabled once turned off. But at least my road tax is zero, would it have been zero if no stop/start? well, yes, probably as the emission number for my car is 18% below the zero tax threshold, so I would imagine it would have been below 100 even without stop/start

start/stop only works though when you take your car out of gear and use handbrake, how many people do that these days while waiting for the traffic lights to go green. i know that i never do :w00t: so my start/stop only comes into action when i pull up on the drive at work/home job done :tongue:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, andypsp said:

start/stop only works though when you take your car out of gear and use handbrake, how many people do that these days while waiting for the traffic lights to go green. i know that i never do :w00t: so my start/stop only comes into action when i pull up on the drive at work/home job done :tongue:

I think a lot of people wait till there is a large gap and put it in first and let it roll in first.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.The battery i was going to get is a Duracell DA62H advanced from eurocarparts, but after what you have said i don't think it would work.
The bosch battery they have is a S5 but it's 63a and 610a but that might be a bit to power full for the car.
Cheers.

You can't really get a too powerful battery as such - the car will only use what power it needs.

The only problem with a bigger battery is it will take longer to charge fully - unless you uprate the alternator also - but only if you increase by a ridiculous amount.

14 hours ago, andypsp said:

start/stop only works though when you take your car out of gear and use handbrake, how many people do that these days?

Virtually nobody in my experience. They just sit blinding me with their high-level brake light at night. The introduction of hill-start assist makes matters worse by encouraging people to sit holding the car on the footbrake.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. have bought a Bosch S4 E07 .

Thanks again..

"start/stop only works though when you take your car out of gear and use handbrake" . Not so in my case - my 2015 Fiesta stop/start is not handbrake dependent.  The engine stops when the car is in neutral and stationary even with handbrake off . Even if I have only moved a few yards from starting the engine when cold. I do not know if it is programmed differently for different models/years. I hate it, I want to disable it permanently, so I do not have to press the button every journey. How? 

19 hours ago, andypsp said:

I'm not sure the Focus stop/start is linked to the handbrake as the models I have driven in the last year were happy to 'Stop' when the car was barely moving i.e. like 2 MPH maximum.  Beyond the parameters around engine temp and battery charge etc, it seemed that the the Stop/Start system was happy to activate as long as the car was out of gear and either stationary or virtually stationary.  (I only found this out from getting repeatedly stuck on the M1!). :wallbash:

• Like 1