Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Echo Dot/Alexa etc

Turvey

Anyone using an Echo or Echo Dot with a music streaming service

Mrs Turvey fancies getting a Dot and hooking it up to the hi-fi so she/we can call up just about any tune without having to faff about with phones or tablets etc 

Good points, bad points? 

I use an Echo and it's amazing. I currently use it with Spotify and it works perfectly. I can honestly say that I don't see any bad points in owning one. I used to have a dot connected to some Harman Kardon soundsticks III, but since they have an auto power off function, it didn't work too well so I just upgraded to an Echo! The sound quality is great and it has really nice bass. I'd say listen to Mrs Turvey and go for it!

• Like 1

ive got an echo, the sound output is good for what it is, quite amusing when you ask it some silly questions. 

you can link a spotify paid for account to it im led to believe. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback folks 😁

Got a Dot in my amazon basket, will order it when we get back on Friday 😉

• Like 1

I was looking into the Echo Dot being smaller and cheaper.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well the original idea was to buy a Dot and use it with our hi-fi until we bought a Roberts Stream 93i as mentioned in another thread but the Roberts Stream has gone up to £160 from about £120 so we've scrapped that idea for now and bought an Echo on offer from amazon for £100! 

As mentioned it has quite a good sound for the size of it 😎 although I still feel a bit self conscious speaking to it! And I have to speak to it in English as she doesn't understand Orcadian! 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2017 at 7:36 PM, Turvey said:

Well the original idea was to buy a Dot and use it with our hi-fi until we bought a Roberts Stream 93i as mentioned in another thread but the Roberts Stream has gone up to £160 from about £120 so we've scrapped that idea for now and bought an Echo on offer from Amazon for £100! 

As mentioned it has quite a good sound for the size of it 😎 although I still feel a bit self conscious speaking to it! And I have to speak to it in English as she doesn't understand Orcadian! 

I too felt conscious speaking to it, but you'll soon get used to it and you'll love it. Whenever I'm in a room that I don't have my echo, I accidentally try to talk to it haha. 

• Like 2

mine randomly talks to me , especialy when the adverts are on tv.

• Haha 1

Well the original idea was to buy a Dot and use it with our hi-fi until we bought a Roberts Stream 93i as mentioned in another thread but the Roberts Stream has gone up to £160 from about £120 so we've scrapped that idea for now and bought an Echo on offer from Amazon for £100! 

As mentioned it has quite a good sound for the size of it [emoji41] although I still feel a bit self conscious speaking to it! And I have to speak to it in English as she doesn't understand Orcadian! 

Imagine trying to speak Doric to her, she would probably explode! If you are still interested in the 93i then it might be worth keeping an eye on the price. There have been a lot of price changes recently, the lowest it has been is £109 back in April. The price could change again very soon, you never know. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 05/09/2017 at 0:13 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Imagine trying to speak Doric to her, she would probably explode! If you are still interested in the 93i then it might be worth keeping an eye on the price. There have been a lot of price changes recently, the lowest it has been is £109 back in April. The price could change again very soon, you never know. emoji41.png

Fit lik Alexa, foos yer doos? 😁

I have a check on the price most days, I'm just worried that Roberts will stop making it and come out with an 'improved' version that isn't any better and costs more! 🙄

• Like 1

Fit lik Alexa, foos yer doos? [emoji16]
I have a check on the price most days, I'm just worried that Roberts will stop making it and come out with an 'improved' version that isn't any better and costs more! [emoji849]

Do you manually check the price yourself? I'd forget and miss a price drop knowing me lol

Fit I dinna ken is nae wurth kennin [emoji6]

19 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Do you manually check the price yourself? I'd forget and miss a price drop knowing me lol

Fit I dinna ken is nae wurth kennin emoji6.png

I've got the page amazon page as a bookmark on my phone and check it almost daily :wink:

Re Doric, I worked in a pub in Aberdeen for a while and struggled with even just plain old Aberdonian at times! We had a few old country boys come in and after a few beers and whisky(a hauf and a hauf) they were near impossible to understand :biggrin:

• Like 1

I've got the page Amazon page as a bookmark on my phone and check it almost daily wink.png

Re Doric, I worked in a pub in Aberdeen for a while and struggled with even just plain old Aberdonian at times! We had a few old country boys come in and after a few beers and whisky(a hauf and a hauf) they were near impossible to understand biggrin.png

Do you know there is a website that will monitor the price for you? You create an account, enter the amazon item number and your 'desired' price and you will be alerted if and when it reaches that price. You can also see the price historically, it will give you highest, lowest and average price too.

You're right, the way they speak there is hard to understand and I have struggled in work before.

I've got an extension in Google called Keepa that tracks previous prices for whatever item you're viewing. It might have an alert function in it, I'll have a check.

Ok, the one I was going to suggest is 'camelcamelcamel' it works on your mobile/tablet too [emoji846]

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I think I saw that site when I was looking for a tracker. 

Tracking the Roberts in it now ;-) 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

No problem, fingers crossed it helps

• Like 1

Here's one for you Echo users, try and get her to play ' On My Radio' by The Selecter. I can't get her to do it at all! :mellow: