Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Drain - 2012 Mondeo Estate Titanium

KK83

I bought my 2012 Mondeo Titanium about a year ago and within i would say about 6wks of my having the car the Eco Stop/Start stopped working - thought nothing of this initially as actually thought i might have been using it incorrectly and my screen flashed up low battery?

Was only about 3mths ago my car was completely dead, no dash light up, nothing - I have a push start button - neighbour jumped started my car and I drove it to my local Halfords thinking I needed a new battery this and the alternator were tested and found to be in perfect working order - my Eco Stop/Start also started working again and low battery warning disappeared

no less then 2wks later the Eco stop/start stops working again and low battery displayed again....was withing two weeks again I went to get in car after it hadn't been used for one day and the dash all lit up, with power steering malfunction error - my mechanic and ford advised to charge battery - did this all errors disappeared and eco stop/start worked again for literally one day! and wasnt even 5 days before again the car refused to start!

I have recharged the battery and again car clear of all errors and running fine - for how long i dont know - i have switched off all bluetooth/radio devices and auto lights have been turned off completely - car due to go in for diagnostics testing on 01.08.17 but i know full well they are going to first say my battery is the problem and incurr this cost before yet again the car will no doubt end up back in garage - current under warranty (still 2yrs left)

anyone else experiencing battery draining problems/issues?

Still could be battery not holding its charge  or alternator on way out

• Like 1

Cells on battery could well not be working well now n not holding charge if you can try another battery, I would of said alternator but if been checked then should be ok. Check for loose wires on there too mate

• Like 1

Hi Guys, Thanks for replying

I have recharged battery (again) and car currently driving (4 days so far) - I've made sure the auto lights option is switched off, radio and bluetooth also switched off just encase these were a possible cause - Eco stop/start currently not working nor is my auto up/down of my windows but no low battery or any other warnings being displayed but am just waiting for the car to just die again lol

My sister thinks this is key fob error software error but other forums have suggested its possibly fuel pump not switching off when car is turned off or possibly the bluetooth....me not got foggiest idea just want my car to sodding work lol

She is booked in for diagnostic testing for 01.08.17 to hopefully confirm one way or another

If it was the key fob the message would read "low key battery" or words to that effect.

I had the Low battery warning on my car when I bought it from a Ford dealer (car was 2.5 years old at the time), and I mentioned it to them when it went back in to have some minor issues looked at a month later (Jan 2014) as it was still in warranty period. They charged it (recorded them doing this on the dash cam) and gave the car back to me. Throughout 2014 the car would still give the Low battery warning, even after a 400 mile round trip, but it never failed to start the car ( Car doesn't have stop/start) and in Jan 2015 it went back in after I complained initially about the scheduled service not being done correctly but also mentioned the battery issue. Anyway, they did the service again and replaced the battery free of charge. After that, the message had not appeared again until last week, but not again since.

I would try and get a new battery under warranty.

• Like 1

I used to own a 2011 petrol focus, when you locked the car the mileage display used to stay on all the time (which flattened the battery) rather than the 20 minutes shutdown time, after reading a post by  @JW1982 where it was mentioned that the most cause of the power drain was either the standard fit stereo or the bluetooth, I disconected the bluetooth module which is behind the glove box on the focus & noticed the mileage display now shut off  after  20 minutes as normal, I'm not sure if the mondeo is the same set up though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KK83 said:

I have recharged battery (again) and car currently driving (4 days so far) - I've made sure the auto lights option is switched off, radio and bluetooth also switched off just encase these were a possible cause - Eco stop/start currently not working nor is my auto up/down of my windows but no low battery or any other warnings being displayed but am just waiting for the car to just die again lol

I suggest getting one of those cigar lighter power point plug-in voltage meters. Only a few quid off eBay. They are not terribly accurate, partly 'cos they are cheap, but also while any current is flowing, voltage drops in the wiring cause small errors. But they still give some idea of whether the alternator is working, or if the battery is holding charge.

From what you have said, I can not tell if it is the alternator not charging, the battery not holding charge, or something draining the battery. 14v to 14.6v while driving would show the alternator is working. The battery should hold at over 12v while standing, about 12.5v ideally, but central locking, interior lights and other stuff happening by just opening a door, will make it drop a bit, to about 12v.

It also depends a lot on how much the car is used, a trip of a couple of minutes will not put much charge back in. Daily15minute journeys should be ample though.

The odometer light staying on all the time is one possible symptom of something staying active and causing current drain.

If the garage test results are a bit woolly or uncertain, I would delay a bit until some voltage tests like that above have been done.

• Like 2

Car went in this morning....

Currently she has been running for 8 days (with everything in car manually switched off) - i did switch my stereo (bluetooth) on, on Saturday which after my journey then flagged up the low battery error - i turned these both off again and the error stopped again.

Eco stop/start and auto windows still not working - I drive the car daily to work (30min commute there and back again) plus gym 4 times a week (located near my works so again another 30min drive) so is being used enough that she's got no excuse to not be charging

battery is currently only thing that is not covered under the warranty all mechanical and electrical faults are - didn't want to change battery only for this to keep happening so hopefully they actually find a cause - fingers crossed (will update later)

Thank you all for your comments been extremely helpful 

Note, the converse+ display should switch off immediately when you lock the car on the Mondeos.

Good luck.

On 01/08/2017 at 0:34 PM, KK83 said:

Battery is currently only thing that is not covered under the warranty

If the garage say the battery is duff (after doing full tests), do not just accept the first one they offer you. These stop/start cars need an EFB type of battery, which can be a lot more expensive than a standard calcium or silver calcium type. But the prices vary a lot, and you can get batteries (of a reputable make like Yuasa or Varta) a lot cheaper by doing some searching. There was a thread on here recently that showed this. From over £200, to about £100, though for a Focus,

• 3 years later...

Hi I was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong. My 2012 mondeo is doing the same thing had it checked twice but found nothing

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club