Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Ford Focus intermittent issue

Moe1

My little brother bought a Ford Focus 2007 1.8 TDCI Automatic 

it was fine now has developed a fault, sometimes it wouldn't crank but everything else would work.

sometimes would start no bother.

somtimes, would cut out but wouldn't turn off - all dash lights would go on. Gearbox fault steering fault etc. But engine would still be running but can only go 5mph max. 

Will get it diagnosed tomorrow on my day off. 

Anyone had any of these symptoms before? Or can help?

Mileage is 120K 

* Picture shown of when it cuts out but doesn't turn off. 

IMG_9762.JPG

On a Focus MK2/MK2.5 all of these symptoms point to the classic instrument cluster problems. These problems are basically caused by bad soldering connections on the circuit board of the instrument cluster. The bad soldering connections causes intermittent connections which leads to communication problems. The instrument cluster is basically a CANbus module that forms the gateway between the MS CANbus network and the HS CANbus network. This is a well known Focus MK2/MK2.5 problem that can be solved by either replacing the instrument cluster or repairing the defective instrument cluster.

• Like 2

I am sure on an older post about the instrument cluster problem someone assisted with explanation and photos of how to get it apart and exactly where (usually) it needed resoldering. the actual soldering looked quite easy (if you know how to use a soldering iron) but the dismantling and reassembly looked quite a chore. Try searching old posts

Even if you can not resolder, if you got it apart and took it to a TV repair shop they could solder it (if you showed them where) while you waited for not much cost - but can anyone find a TV repair shop these says?

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys, that seems to be my problem. 

Anyone know of a place I can take the car to get fixed, in or around London. 

Rather then take out the cluster myself and send it. 

Some people have fixed it with contact spray, try the cheap option first.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2017 at 8:37 PM, Moe1 said:

Anyone know of a place I can take the car to get fixed, in or around London. 

Have a look here:

That link has a link to a recommended repair company, as well as info on the removal, testing & repair of a Focus IC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys, the car is now fixed with no issues. 

Had the cluster fixed for £100 with lifetime warranty 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Moe1 said:

Had the cluster fixed for £100 with lifetime warranty 

Where was the Cluster fixed, just for interest, and maybe to help others?

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Where was the Cluster fixed, just for interest, and maybe to help others?

It was fixed by Taylor motor Spares LTD in east London.

£100 all in including, taking out, repairing and refitting cluster. Which includes a lifetime warranty.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I took my instrument cluster out last night, dismantled it, re-soldered it, put it back together, fitted and tested all in under an hour. I re-soldered the connector pins only and used marlin contact cleaner and a brush to clean the board and pins and the socket in the car and it works like a charm, I did see that some git had put insulation tape oner the engine warning light but I cleared that with my reader. I used this guide before starting. It's really easy to do yourself 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club