Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Alarm started to go off

tallguy

Had a first few months of ownership, has been great, bought in March . But this month, the car alarm has started going off, initially once, thought it was nothing, but last night (and it only seems to happen at night) it went off 4 times, I'm away on holiday with the family and I can see the neighbours in the cottages getting the right hump.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking, electrical short or water leak on to electrics, it was heavy rain and big puddles yesterday. But haven't a clue where to look.

I did have a detachable tow bar fitted by ford, back end of June, could be that the cables aren't correctly waterproofed?

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

Try turning off the interior sensors tonight when you lock the car up. It could be something really simple like a fly or spider in the car setting it off. It's pretty common so try to eliminate that first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If Jon's suggestions doesn't work, you'll need to get it back to Ford.

Their diagnostics can pull the logs of what's triggering it.

• Like 1

Thanks folks,

So far the weather has been dry and the car alarm has behaved itself. So still don't know what triggered it. But I'm still edging towards an electrical connection that lets water in.

So I think I'll be heading to Ford's when I'm back off vacation

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I have owned the Ford Edge for 3 months now and love the car. I have the same issue with the car alarm sounding at odd times but always when it has been raining ( we have had such a long dry spell here in the South that we wouldn't have noticed the issue ). I have put the vehicle on reduced guard but again the alarm has gone off in wet weather. I think I will be visiting the Ford Dealer.

Mine has gone off on two occasions. Both times it was dry. The first time it was a moth and the second time it was a fly. 

2 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

Mine has gone off on two occasions. Both times it was dry. The first time it was a moth and the second time it was a fly. 

Best stop opening your wallet then.

H

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Hamster said:

Best stop opening your wallet then.

H

I’m Scottish. It doesn’t happen very often !

Happened to mine 3 times tonight. Very embarrassing at midnight on a Sunday night! 

Same here, 3 weeks ago down south for a weeks holiday alarm went off twice, it was a fly in the car and it was tiny. The interior sensor is very sensitive.

mine did it again last night, 10 minutes after I’d gone to sleep. Had to leave it unlocked for the rest of the night. How do you turn the sensors off? 

When you turn the ignition off and the only thing shown on the dash is Full or Reduced security, or words along those lines. Just select Reduced

• 3 years later...

My Ford Edge alarm has started going off but only once dark.  Diagnostics said it’s the tailgate has a fault, but why at night and not during the day? It’s weird

On 9/4/2018 at 12:17 PM, NeilRS said:

mine did it again last night, 10 minutes after I’d gone to sleep. Had to leave it unlocked for the rest of the night. How do you turn the sensors off? 

1 hour ago, Suzelar said:

Pretty sure there is an on/off option on the dash menu...

Mine is the same.  Fine on half alarm.  Diagnostics says it’s a tailgate fault but I’m thinking if it was that, why doesn’t it go off during day? 

1 hour ago, Suzelar said:

When you turn off ignition there’s two alarm options on dashboard.  Default is full, scroll down to second option something like reduced alarm. 

8 minutes ago, Suzelar said:

Mine is the same.  Fine on half alarm.  Diagnostics says it’s a tailgate fault but I’m thinking if it was that, why doesn’t it go off during day? 

It's slightly colder at night and the vehicle will have been parked up for a good few hours. The battery voltage becomes slightly less and if there is a high resistance contact/switch there will be just enough of a volt drop to trigger the alarm.

• Like 2