Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central locking faults

Paulwilf

Hi my fusion decides not to lock. Well it does but then unlocks straight away. If I lock all the doors shut driver's door then lock it still locks then unlocks. if I lock with the key I have to hold the key locked then it locks, unlocks then locks but it will then at sometime unlock again.!!!!!! Any ideas????

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Paulwilf said:

If I lock all the doors shut driver's door then lock it still locks then unlocks. if I lock with the key I have to hold the key locked then it locks, unlocks then locks but it will then at sometime unlock again.!!!!

First check the door ajar switches. These activate the interior light and the door open warning LED, so are easy to test. It will not lock if one of these wrongly indicates the door is not shut.

Then I would suspect "locked" signal from a lock is not happening, either because the lock mechanism is jamming, or the sensor is not working. If there is a problem here, it usually means dismantling the door, to get at the locking mechanism. That is a bit of a fiddly, long job on a Focus, probably no better on a Fusion.

The door ajar switches are also built in to the locking mechanism.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Had this problem on mine. Ended up taking the entire door card out to get to it. Not a fun job. You might be able to simply short circuit the door ajar wires from the door wire cluster. -bit of a bodge though.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2017 at 2:09 PM, Paulwilf said:

Hi my fusion decides not to lock. Well it does but then unlocks straight away. If I lock all the doors shut driver's door then lock it still locks then unlocks. if I lock with the key I have to hold the key locked then it locks, unlocks then locks but it will then at sometime unlock again.!!!!!! Any ideas????

I have the same problem. Keep locking the car and it unlocks. Or when I drive off i see the car door red light on and the interior light stay on, so I have to keep opening and shutting the door. According to the German Focus Forum, its a micro-switch on the door lock. You need to spray loads of WD40 into the lock to cure the issue.

• 1 year later...

to program the 3 button remote 

1. Switch Ignition On/Off (II/0) 4 times within 6 seconds until a sound is made.

2. Press any button on Remote until a sound is made.

3. To program additional Remotes, repeat after 2 seconds after the sound.

4. Turn Ignition On/Off to exit.

5. A maximum of 4 remotes can be programmed.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t use WD40, use a dry lubricant or electrical contact cleaner. Basically continue to clean and work the latch until the fault stops. 

• 1 year later...

same problem here. Is there a way to lock the doors by hand? I can lock three door by hand, the driver with the key (turning it about 6-7 times) and the back doors with the inside lockhandel. The front passenger door keeps unlocked.

When my front passenger door microswitch was occasionally giving the door open indication, I found that I could not always lock all the doors.  If I did, then there was a chance the slarm would go off, normally at a most inconvenient time !  The microswitch is bonded to the lock unit, and I ended up changing the whole lock unit which is a right palaver.

• Like 1

Jumping on this one. My front nearside door has decided it doesn't like to unlock anymore. It locks on the remote fine but then will not unlock. I suspect something has come undone on the mechanism. Any tips?

The motor is all part of the lock mechanism, so if an internal mechanical problem, not easy to get at.  I assume it can be opened using the internal manual handle ?

One other thing to check is that multiway plug in the door shut, under and do a visual on the pins, a bit of contact cleaner and make sure tightly reconnected.

Nearside front doorlock

Fusion Doorlock (1).jpg

Fusion Doorlock (3).jpg

• Like 2

I have posted this on another post about this issue I have had the same issue with my 2010 Ford Fusion uk model also it wouldn’t lock because of this I took the door card off then I was greeted by another inner door card witch I couldn’t remove unless I took the glass out of the door so instead I cut a hole in this door card by the lock big enough to fit my hand in and a hook tool to pull the connector off of the door latch when you have to plug if you test the ports together like I did I found that port 4 and 5 made the connection to say the doors was closed I then scotch lock connected those 2 wires together to make a permanent connection  I have now resolved my issues with the locks I had to do this on 3 of the 4 doors so if you can’t afford hundreds of pounds to have it fixed I have found this is a much cheaper and easier way to fix the issue weather it be temporary or permanent I got the scotch locks off of amazon for around £7 for 65 of them and I had to buy a SDS multi cutting tool from tool station for £40 I hope this helps 

Also on two topics !

If the car will not lock, because of a faulty door sensor, I think the only way to lock the car is to disconnect the battery and then manually lock all the doors - Key will manually open boot and driver's door.

Immobilised and locked !

Should you bypass the door open sensors, you insurance company might not approve, and if you do all 4 - then the car will probably always self lock afterabout 30 secs, unless you also plip open the boot.

• 2 months later...

I just took the fuse out and lock them manually.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 10:52 PM, Brett robertson said:

I have posted this on another post about this issue I have had the same issue with my 2010 Ford Fusion uk model also it wouldn’t lock because of this I took the door card off then I was greeted by another inner door card witch I couldn’t remove unless I took the glass out of the door so instead I cut a hole in this door card by the lock big enough to fit my hand in and a hook tool to pull the connector off of the door latch when you have to plug if you test the ports together like I did I found that port 4 and 5 made the connection to say the doors was closed I then scotch lock connected those 2 wires together to make a permanent connection  I have now resolved my issues with the locks I had to do this on 3 of the 4 doors so if you can’t afford hundreds of pounds to have it fixed I have found this is a much cheaper and easier way to fix the issue weather it be temporary or permanent I got the scotch locks off of amazon for around £7 for 65 of them and I had to buy a SDS multi cutting tool from tool station for £40 I hope this helps 

Hello, I have started to have that dirty betrayal in my Fusion, given that all the cables from the door then enter into the car chassis via that small rubber cuff over the door's hinge, I think that my mechanic could make that scotch lock connection that you comment on those cables, but inside the car's body, for not needing to dismount the door, but here comes the one million pounds question: Do you, by chance, know the color of the wires to be scotch locked?  

Thank you.

Information I have for cores at the GEM :

RHFront - Bk/Bu Pin 19

LHFront - Bk/Ye Pin 18

RH Rear - Bk/Gn Pin 17

LH Rear - Bk/Og Pin 16

The relevant core for the offending door would then need to be earthed.

I have not checked this on my car, and the same core colours are also used for other signals, so you might want to check using a meter and operating the relevant door latch a few times before you earth any core......

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Paulkp said:

Information I have for cores at the GEM :

RHFront - Bk/Bu Pin 19

LHFront - Bk/Ye Pin 18

RH Rear - Bk/Gn Pin 17

LH Rear - Bk/Og Pin 16

The relevant core for the offending door would then need to be earthed.

I have not checked this on my car, and the same core colours are also used for other signals, so you might want to check using a meter and operating the relevant door latch a few times before you earth any core......

Thank You Very Much Sir, I will try, and share the result.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

You

Hi . I have a very weird problem on my ford fusion 2010 1.4 . The driver door doesn’t lock/unlock with the remote but it works by hand . The rest of the doors work perfectly . I have changed the lock in the door and still nothing. .in the meanwhile the boot button inside the car doesn’t work but on the key it does . I changed the button inside the car and still doesnt work so I thought it’s the main unit under the steering wheel and I changed that as well and still nothing. What could the problem be , can someone help please 🙏

Strange fault

Based on the hardware you have replaced i can only assume that e17 earth on boot switch is linked to e6 earth for door switch are interlinked and have become open circuit.

I am not 100% familiar with door locking mech, usually the loom cable/s break in door to pillar causing a no lock issue. But as you also have a boot button issue - is that just a red herring coincidence or are they linked ???

Looking at the wiring diagram, i would check the boot switch earth is present first, then check for continuity from the other switch contact to the gem input. Check the replacement switch too just in case.

If they were both related to r/c locking then i would point to key programming etc, but as boot opens via key r/c  it sort of rules that out....

I would diagnose and check the boot switch circuit first and it's earth

• Like 2

Yes, Weird.

The driver unlock is on a seperate circuit to the other three doors, and this, along with the boot release switch are I believe, on different connectors on the GEM to all the other door lock motors.

Not much in common with the faults, and if you have changed the GEM, then the battery must have been disconnected ?  I have a view that if you have any strange faults, then first disconnect the battery for 20mins, and check that it is fully charged.

• Like 1

Thank you Paulkp . I haven’t disconnected the battery at all . Was I supposed to disconnect it to install the GEM ? Maybe that’s why it doesn’t work or it could be the GEM because i got it from the scrapyard from a 2005 fusion and mine is a 2010 model ? 

• Sad 1

Personally, I would disconnect the battery before disconnection of any of the electronic modules, and there are a number of different GEMs listed on CatCar.

Did the numbering on the scrapyard GEM match the equivalent number on your existing GEM ?  if you do an eBay search on "Ford Fusion GEM" you will get a number of hits, with different part numbers.

If the GEM has been replaced it will need programmed with the "AsBuilt" files

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

If the GEM has been replaced it will need programmed with the "AsBuilt" files

Thanks for that - I assume that would be a job for 4skan ?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Mines the same check all doors are closed mines normally  the front  passenger  door seems even when its closed the sensors  don't work 

• 10 months later...

hi ford owners, i have a 2011 ford fusion 1.4 zetec petrol,  my front passenger and offside rear passenger doors will not lock with the fob but drivers side and drivers rear passenger does with the fob, annoying when there's a car full, any suggestions to correct that doesn't cost the earth? many thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club