Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk 2.5 bonnet release

antward91

bonnet release on my focus is not releasing, the key is just turning fully left and fully right to no effect.

who do I take the car too with this problem and is there a quick fix for me to get under the bonnet as I have no screentwash at all 

Lots of threads on this topic if you do a search on this website, including a few by me on how I got into the engine bay without breaking anything when the same problem happened.  To be honest I learned a lot from previous posters even though it was not always exactly the same issue so really worth reading them before you have a go at it.  There are a few useful Youtube videos as well.  Let us know if you have any specific questions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2017 at 5:31 PM, south_bound said:

Lots of threads on this topic if you do a search on this website, including a few by me on how I got into the engine bay without breaking anything when the same problem happened.  To be honest I learned a lot from previous posters even though it was not always exactly the same issue so really worth reading them before you have a go at it.  There are a few useful Youtube videos as well.  Let us know if you have any specific questions.

had an absolute nightmare mate, screwdriver didn't work at all, had a friend who works for a local garage go underneath today and still couldn't get the thing open, he said it's best off going into the garage because he's end up damaging the radiator or air con systym without it being on ramps, 

have you heard of anyone who has had this fixed at a garage? I'm going to take it in but I'd like to know a rough price just so I know wether they're having me on or not.

On 30/07/2017 at 6:43 PM, antward91 said:

bonnet release on my focus is not releasing, the key is just turning fully left and fully right to no effect.

who do I take the car too with this problem and is there a quick fix for me to get under the bonnet as I have no screentwash at all 

One of the many YouTube videos -> 

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

One of the many YouTube videos -> 

cheers but I've seen that mate and didn't fancy breaking the grill, can imagine they're pretty expensive to replace

Prices on eBay for a used one start at about £20.

• Like 1

That's the video I found most useful and followed that exact method to get the grill off in one piece - the plastic screws are exactly where he said and you can even see them with the help of a torch.  Then instead of smacking the lock mechanism with a lump hammer I reached in under the bonnet and undid the 2 10mm bolts that hold the bonnet latch in place, which is a bit of a squeeze but doable if you go at it slowly with a small ratchet set.  I've heard quotes of $180 to over £300 if you take it to a Ford garage so worth trying it yourself first, especially as they will probably end up breaking your grill and charging you for it anyway! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, south_bound said:

That's the video I found most useful and followed that exact method to get the grill off in one piece - the plastic screws are exactly where he said and you can even see them with the help of a torch.  Then instead of smacking the lock mechanism with a lump hammer I reached in under the bonnet and undid the 2 10mm bolts that hold the bonnet latch in place, which is a bit of a squeeze but doable if you go at it slowly with a small ratchet set.  I've heard quotes of $180 to over £300 if you take it to a Ford garage so worth trying it yourself first, especially as they will probably end up breaking your grill and charging you for it anyway! 

thanks mate I did have a go myself but didn't trust myself not to break the grill, I've got it booked in for Wednesday at a local garage, they deal with mainly fords as they're owned by a taxi company who only use Mondeo and focus estates. I told him I'd been told by another garage the grill would need breaking and he laughed and said no chance it's 2 bolts once the car is on the ramp. they're replacing the whole lock but he wouldn't give a price until the works been completed 

OK good luck, and let us know how you got on.

in a worst case scenario of being unable to open the bonnet , smashing the grill out to get to the lock is exactly what i'd being doing

in fact im fairly sure that when i replaced the plastic barrel extension thats prone to dropping out of position on my car as a precautionary measure , i actually left out the grill top screws so i could get to the mechanism if things went pete tong at a later date

like damien says , theyre only £20 or so on fleabay

1 hour ago, biff55 said:

in fact im fairly sure that when i replaced the plastic barrel extension thats prone to dropping out of position on my car as a precautionary measure , i actually left out the grill top screws so i could get to the mechanism if things went pete tong at a later date

Good call, I think that I just replaced the edge screws but not the 3 or 4 middle ones that connect through the slam panel and the grill feels solid enough and hasn't fallen out yet (fingers crossed)

had the lock done today, turned out to be a faulty cable, lock was replaced , £103 parts and labour , pretty happy with that to be honest 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club