Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Private plate on lease car?

Hi all.

Wondered if anyone knew the policy with private reg on lease cars? I stuck mine on without thinking I had to notify the finance company?

My mate has lease car and he had to pay £40 extra to the finance/lease company to put it on...any ideas?

My car is on a PCP and I haven't told the finance company. I didn't really think about it but the original VRM is still assigned to my car it just is t 'active' until I take my plate off. Think the worst that can happen is that if you default they can take the car with your plate still on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/4/2017 at 8:44 PM, Jonro2009 said:

My car is on a PCP and I haven't told the finance company. I didn't really think about it but the original VRM is still assigned to my car it just is t 'active' until I take my plate off. Think the worst that can happen is that if you default they can take the car with your plate still on it.

So when i go to hand car back do I give them the old plates or what? I don't understand how it works to be honest. 

PCP isn't a lease, it's like a mortgage. You are the owner (or joint owners) and registered keeper, but they have a registered interest in the car.

Leasing is where the company owns the car and rents it to you.

I can't see you being able to change the plate on a lease car as you don't own it. For PCP, then I don't see why not, but the finance company would need to know so they can update their records and potentially the registered interest too. The £40 is probably just an admin fee, like insurance companies might charge for the same update.

I recently made enquiries about getting a car on personal contract hire - different to pcp because at the end there's no option to buy the car - you just give it back and walk away.

I asked them about private plates. No problem, they said. It would have to be done through them and you would have to pay the £80 DVLA fee of course.

www.affinityvehicleleasing.com

PCP isn't a lease, it's like a mortgage. You are the owner (or joint owners) and registered keeper, but they have a registered interest in the car.
Leasing is where the company owns the car and rents it to you.
I can't see you being able to change the plate on a lease car as you don't own it. For PCP, then I don't see why not, but the finance company would need to know so they can update their records and potentially the registered interest too. The £40 is probably just an admin fee, like insurance companies might charge for the same update.

I understand lease/hp/pcp but I wasn't aware that you couldn't put a private plate on a Lease vehicle. I'm sure I've had friends with Lease vehicles and their own plates on them. I just looked at my PCP agreement and it has the original VRM on it, then I looked at my end of year statement and it has my private plate on it. I didn't tell them, I've never made contact with them.

It might be that Ford get updated through the Hpi database or Dvla.

With leasing I guess it's entirely up to the lease company but as you don't own the car when leasing you can't do it yourself you'd have to ask the lease company to do it as it's their car.

• Like 1

If you then put the plate on a lease car do you not also pass ownership of the plate to the lease company?

1 minute ago, Jonro2009 said:

If you then put the plate on a lease car do you not also pass ownership of the plate to the lease company?

I was thinking that too.

2 minutes ago, fraserrg said:

I'm sure Im not a lease, lets hope not..

If you have a balloon figure at the end it's not a lease.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club