Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ongoing issue with my ford focus driving me crazy

Jdixon

Hello All,

I am having a large issue with my Ford Focus 2013 1.6 TDCI.

A Few months ago I was driving when i suddenly got the dreaded engine management light and a constant message of ENGINE MALFUNCTION service NOW. It continued to drive fine but then dropped into limp mode. I took it took my independant garage who done a regen and it fixed the issue. Month later the issue came up again. This time i took it to an official ford company who diagnosed 3 Faults.

one with the grill system which i have no idea what they mean, they mentioned taking it apart which could be costly to find the broken part.

they then mentioned that might not even fix it and that there is a glowplug in the DPF which may be causing the problem

then of course the usual DPF clogged up with SOOT mainly because of the other issues.

obviously to get all this fixed and the labour is going to cost me alot.

Is there anyone who can help with my understanding of the issue and if it is possible for an independant garage to fix.

Thanks

Jamie

the grille system is probably the grille shutters that have either jammed or the motor that operates them is malfunctioning. not that difficult to remove and inspect, takes 15-20 mins to get out.
the glow plug in dpf is actually called a fuel vaporiser, didnt know the 1.6 tdci had them. also this is easy enough to diagnose if that is indeed the fault. im off to find out if it does have a vaporiser now.

according to my info the 1.6 doesnt have a vaporiser/glow plug in the dpf.

Thank you for your reply.

I have the fault codes which ford have given me and will post them up once i get home and have them to hand. This may help with any diagnosis .

How would i go about taking the grille shutters off and finding which bit is broken ? Also what parts am i looking at if i was to replace. Want to get a rough estimate of price before i start.

I am usually switched on when it comes to cars but these modern ones confuse me needing specific tools to correct.

one garage even said i needed a new battery and glow plugs which i now have wasted £200 on getting and no longer need

grille shutters is a complete assy to remove, then you will have to inspect. you can check grille shutter operation before taking it out. the shutters cycle open and closed when ign first switched on. takes 2 people though as it cycles to quick for 1 person to switch ign on and run to front of bumper to watch

This is the codes I received from ford IMG_0489.thumb.JPG.8b15f7ad3fc8c82781c0d0cc2294c7cd.JPG

I will see if I can find out if the 1.6 has a glow plug. I've never noticed one . If it has then first check will be the fuse for that circuit.

Checked wiring diagram and not listed on parts. So ignore that dtc. Regen probably aborting due to grille shutter fault code.

Okay I will bet the shutter fixed first thing and see if that will get the regen working again and hopefully fix it , what sort of price do you believe I will be looking at 

No idea, depends what's wrong with it.

3 hours ago, iantt said:

I will see if I can find out if the 1.6 has a glow plug. I've never noticed one . If it has then first check will be the fuse for that circuit.

On the Focus MK3 the 95 HP and 105 HP versions of the 1.6 TDCI do have the vaporiser/glow plug. The 115 HP version does not have them.

Malfunction of the vaporiser/glow plug assembly is a known problem on the 95 HP and 105 HP versions of the 1.6 TDCI. This prevents the DPF from regerating. Another known problem is the fuel line between the pump and the vaporiser/glow plug assembly. During time this fuel line can become clogged which also prevents the DPF from regenerating.

On the Focus MK3 the DPF of the 1.6 TDCI is maintenance free and does not have a specified (fixed) replacement interval. This type of DPF needs to be replaced when it is saturated with ashes that stay behind after regeneration. A defective vaporiser/glow plug assembly can cause premature DPF failure. 

• Like 1

learn something new every day, i couldnt find a vaporiser on the ford ecat for any hp version . even etis doent mention it .

It sounds like the DPF sensor at fault I had a similar issue with my old Ford Kuga

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club