• Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

The real question is why would you?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because I find my current headlights are awful and, if legal, i would much prefer stronger lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I'm also disappointed by the dipped-beam on my mk7.5. They really are awfull for a nearly new car. On par with the tyre roar and cheap plastics inside. However, the main beam is more than adequate, which makes returning to dipped a bit scary sometimes. 

Was considering trying led as I can't imagine a halogen upgrade making much, if any difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wiggy! said:

I'm also disappointed by the dipped-beam on my mk7.5. They really are awfull for a nearly new car. On par with the tyre roar and cheap plastics inside. However, the main beam is more than adequate, which makes returning to dipped a bit scary sometimes. 

Was considering trying led as I can't imagine a halogen upgrade making much, if any difference. 

If that's all you are disappointed with on your car, you're lucky!

Upgraded halogen lights make a big difference apparently.  However, their longevity is questionable.  I mean 6-12 months normal lifespan for the 150%+ bulbs kind of questionable.  I don't know about you, but I would find spending £30-40 on bulbs every 6-12 months rather annoying!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Because I find my current headlights are awful and, if legal, i would much prefer stronger lights.


It does not matter what you do to the car in preparation for an LED/HID upgrade, nothing at all would make it road legal. All of these kits, without exception are not type approved, they do not carry the correct 'stamp'. It is the same with higher wattage bulbs (over 55W). Assuming you fitted some kind of self levelling system, headlight washer/cleaning setup and changed out the units for those type approved for LED/HID use the upgrade would still not be road legal because of the bulbs.

You can upgrade the bulbs for upgraded Halogen ones, and as a rule they have a much shorter life expectancy than standard bulbs. I've got Phillips Xtreme vision in my Mk5 Mondeo and they have been going strong for over 12months now. The Phillips are the equivalent to the Osram Night Breaker Lasers. In the past I have found Phillips to outlast Osram.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

 


It does not matter what you do to the car in preparation for an LED/HID upgrade, nothing at all would make it road legal. All of these kits, without exception are not type approved, they do not carry the correct 'stamp'. It is the same with higher wattage bulbs (over 55W). Assuming you fitted some kind of self levelling system, headlight washer/cleaning setup and changed out the units for those type approved for LED/HID use the upgrade would still not be road legal because of the bulbs.

You can upgrade the bulbs for upgraded Halogen ones, and as a rule they have a much shorter life expectancy than standard bulbs. I've got Phillips Xtreme vision in my Mk5 Mondeo and they have been going strong for over 12months now. The Phillips are the equivalent to the Osram Night Breaker Lasers. In the past I have found Phillips to outlast Osram.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Thank you for that that was extremely interesting.

The only thing that confuses me is how so many are on the road if they are not road legal, there aren’t any stories of people getting cars seized etc for LED headlights so it makes me wonder the possibility of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really interesting reading all the posts on this thread...and am also very thankful for the advice and shared experiences.

I think ultimately the answer to my original question appears to be that they are all as good as each other, depending on how and where they are used.  Based on the suggestions and previous posts I've decided on the following...

I've ordered a HID H1 Conversion Set, because I have projector style dipped beam headlamp units and they certainly appear to be the best option, and although not strictly legal I will be checking my headlamp alignment with my local mechanic so foresee no issues with this...

Osram Nightbreaker H7 Unlimited for the high beam, as this is housed within a reflector type headlamp unit, so HID not an option here and this has to be a vast improvement of the very poor standard bulbs...

Also went for Osram Diadem Chrome PY21W (x4) for front and rear indicators, along with the matching WY5W (x2) for repeaters within the wing mirrors completing the de-tango look...

And picked up a varied selection of LED's to swap for the standard bulbs within the interior and number plate lights...

Have yet to pluck up the courage to "split" the headlamp units and blacken the interior...maybe one day though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank you for that that was extremely interesting.
The only thing that confuses me is how so many are on the road if they are not road legal, there aren’t any stories of people getting cars seized etc for LED headlights so it makes me wonder the possibility of it


You're right, there are hundreds if not thousands of them running about. Several of my old cars included, I've converted all my previous cars for the last 8 years at least. I would do my Mk5 Mondeo if you didn't have to take the bumper off to change a ***** bulb! SWMBO won't let me do her Fiesta, she gets all nervous that it will break her car lol.

I guess it's hard to Police and not really the best use of their time, can you imagine the public bleating on about solving 'real' crime. It's a shame really because some of the retro fits are ridiculous, either shining too high with a scattered beam and blinding oncoming traffic, or they look purple. I favour HID over LED personally as they have a better throw when using a retro fit.

The only reason that it would fail and MOT is if the beam pattern is incorrect. A tester is not allowed to move things out of the way so hidden ballasts are the way to go. All the regs regarding washers and self levelling only applies if these things are in situ so you wont be failed if they are not present.

If you fit a kit then it's a good idea to take it to your local tester and have them check and adjust the beam for you. Also if HID you will need to make sure you get the return wire in the correct place or you will get a shadow in the beam.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Sounds like you have made a good choice @LocheeBhoy but, and I may be wrong but isn't the dipped beam H7 and the high beam H1?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think so Jon, at least I hope not...but can't check as I'm sitting out in the North Sea just now.

I'm sure the projector lens is the one that's on constantly during normal use and it's the reflector lens that comes on when I select high beam...at least I hope I'm remembering it correctly! 🙄

No doubt someone a little closer to their car than I am can confirm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just triple checked what I've ordered...

yes, H7 is dipped, and that's what's I've ordered as HID conversion, and what I can remember is what's mounted within the projector lens housing...

panic over...I hope! 🙈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H1 is high beam, Osram Nghtbreakers purchased, and located within the reflector type housing...

panic now officially over! Hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Do you have the units with LED DRLs in them?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes...

Why?  I can feel an learning curve about to begin...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes...
Why?  I can feel an learning curve about to begin...


haha, I was just checking as the fiesta lights have remained unchanged, bulb wise has not changed since 2013 but there are 2 variants, one with LED DRLs and one without. Your unit uses H1 as the main beam, and the other uses H15 bulbs with a single filament. You can get an H15 with a double filament just to confuse things further.

You have chosen right. An H7 HID conversion kit for the dipped beam which is housed behind the projector lens and H1 Osram NB Unlimited bulbs for the bulb inside the reflector.

I would have gone with the Philips Xtreme vision bulbs for the main beam, purely because I have found them to have a better lifespan and they offer 130% better vision. It's horses for courses to be honest though.

What colour bulbs have you chosen for the HIDs? And did you get the slim pro ballasts?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

 


haha, I was just checking as the fiesta lights have remained unchanged, bulb wise has not changed since 2013 but there are 2 variants, one with LED DRLs and one without. Your unit uses H1 as the main beam, and the other uses H15 bulbs with a single filament. You can get an H15 with a double filament just to confuse things further.

You have chosen right. An H7 HID conversion kit for the dipped beam which is housed behind the projector lens and H1 Osram NB Unlimited bulbs for the bulb inside the reflector.

I would have gone with the Philips Xtreme vision bulbs for the main beam, purely because I have found them to have a better lifespan and they offer 130% better vision. It's horses for courses to be honest though.

What colour bulbs have you chosen for the HIDs? And did you get the slim pro ballasts?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Waves of relief washing over me now! Hahaha

Went for 6000k HIDs, and paid a little extra for the "Premium" version...link below...

https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/premium-h7-35w-hid-xenon-conversion-kit-smart-canbus-system/

Maybe next time I'll go for the Philips, really only went for Osram because I went for NB Unlimited bulbs so stuck with same manufacturer for indicators.

Will be interesting to see how long the bulbs last as I've never actually had any of the original bulbs fail, just replacing them because I feel they are so poor at what they claim to do...produce light!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waves of relief washing over me now! Hahaha
Went for 6000k HIDs, and paid a little extra for the "Premium" version...link below...
https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/premium-h7-35w-hid-xenon-conversion-kit-smart-canbus-system/
Maybe next time I'll go for the Philips, really only went for Osram because I went for NB Unlimited bulbs so stuck with same manufacturer for indicators.
Will be interesting to see how long the bulbs last as I've never actually had any of the original bulbs fail, just replacing them because I feel they are so poor at what they claim to do...produce light!


Cracking kit and company, I have bought from them before. They come with a good reputation. Did you speak to them and ask them for a cheeky 10% off? There is normally something they will do for you.

6000K is the best colour IMO it's what they say is closest to OEM, so either that, or 5000K is usually ok too. 8000k looks purple and 4000K looks Amber.

Philips do silver vision bulbs, that's what I have in my indicators. Well worth the money, for something that looks/sounds silly to some people. It changes the look of the unit. Glad to see you haven't tried to put LED in there, the car can throw a real hissy fit with them.

The lights on the Fiesta are better than the lights on the Mk5 Mondeo. When I take the fez to work I really notice the difference driving home. It's like Ford have spent all their time looking at their dynamic LED lights and don't give a stuff about halogens now.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

 


Cracking kit and company, I have bought from them before. They come with a good reputation. Did you speak to them and ask them for a cheeky 10% off? There is normally something they will do for you.

6000K is the best colour IMO it's what they say is closest to OEM, so either that, or 5000K is usually ok too. 8000k looks purple and 4000K looks Amber.

Philips do silver vision bulbs, that's what I have in my indicators. Well worth the money, for something that looks/sounds silly to some people. It changes the look of the unit. Glad to see you haven't tried to put LED in there, the car can throw a real hissy fit with them.

The lights on the Fiesta are better than the lights on the Mk5 Mondeo. When I take the fez to work I really notice the difference driving home. It's like Ford have spent all their time looking at their dynamic LED lights and don't give a stuff about halogens now.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

I did get the 10% off, but in the form of a voucher code I found online 😉👍🏻

Defo looking forward to fitting them, and defo taking before and after photos!

Read too many posts about how bad the LEDs can look within the lens, even when they do work properly...so many others have taken them out and ended up opting for a silvered/chromed bulb, who am I to repeat the mistakes of others!

Totally agree with your re Ford original bulbs, I've actually stopped the car a few times and got out to check the headlights were on, the light from them is so poor.

Really looking forward to seeing the difference the HIDs will bring, especially as the darker nights will soon be upon us again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a similar kit (From Autobeam H7 HID 6K) on the way whilst i wait for the car to arrive at dealership for collection so i can't check quite yet.....  quick query regarding Ballasts... where did you put them/how did you affix them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have a similar kit (From Autobeam H7 HID 6K) on the way whilst i wait for the car to arrive at dealership for collection so i can't check quite yet.....  quick query regarding Ballasts... where did you put them/how did you affix them? 


The ballasts usually come with brackets so you can use them with a self tapping screw, or you can pop them in the brackets and then use either cable ties or double sided foam tape instead. I have always used tape as it's easier. You can put them anywhere the wires will reach. I favour sticking them to the wing as its usually pretty dry there and the wires reach easily. Make sure you secure your wires too as you don't want them to drag on the ballasts. I don't mean to patronise anyone reading this but I'm going to say it for the 0.1% of people that need the warning labels on dishwasher tablets etc.... Do not stick them to any moving parts or parts that generate heat, for obvious reasons.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now