Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De-tangoing

Newblet

I have a mk6.5 (56) fiesta and I bought some osram py21w bulbs to change out my old front indicator. They are a 581 but the fitting is (12 o'clock/7o'clock) and I needed (12o'clock/6o'clock).

I'm going to buy some p21w 382 bulbs and just want to be sure I'm not doing something stupid replacing 581 with 382.

Note: I have removed the plastic cover (tango) already and can't put it back. I forgot to try the bulb first (I know idiot).

PY21W 581 have offset pins while P21W 382 have opposite pins. They are both 12V 21W bulbs and have the same dimensions.

The 'P/PY' and '382/581' are just specific to the position of the pins, everything else is the same. You can make a 382 bulb fit a 581 socket easily by just filing down one of the pins. So if you can't take the bulbs back you can do this and you won't have wasted your money.

Excuse my ignorance but what 'orange cover' have you removed? Have you taken the headlights glass off and removed the orange lens? If so, apart from making sure you seal the headlights properly you will need to make sure you order the Silvatec type bulbs that flash orange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I removed the indicator housing and pushed out the "orange cover" with my thumb and used two pairs of needle nose pliers to breaking it and remove it through the small hole. It took forever lol

I bought osram ones which are basically the same and since all my other bulbs (now) are osram I kept it all the same.

Will filing down the pin not make it fall out and or fail a MOT?

Also cheers for the reply :-)

Edit: the rear bulbs are py21w and the lenses are clear so I'll just use them in the rear so not really losing any money.

• Like 1

I can imagine that would have taken forever and a lot of patience. If you filed the pin down then it has the potential to fall out and therefore fail an MOT but in practice it isn't likely. If you file the pin but leave it protruding a little it will be a tighter fit so should stay in OK.
You said you have stuck with Osram, which bulbs have you got? Have you got bulbs that will flash orange? It is essential the bulb itself flashes amber, so the bulb will need to be from their DIADEM range.

Will ask but did your indicators flash faster when you put the LEDs in because I'm planning on putting LEDs for my indicators but am thinking of getting a resistor to slow the indicator speed to normal 

Some bulbs have built in resistors and will be described as 'error free' or 'CANbus compatible'. If you buy bulbs with this label then you shouldn't need to buy resistors. They only flash faster because the car thinks one of the bulbs is out. Tricking the car into thinking the Halogen bulbs are present eliminates this, LEDs draw a considerably lower current than their Halogen counterparts. A 21w Halogen bulb will draw approx 1.75amps while an LED equivalent, approx 3w will draw 0.25amps.

• Like 1

Thanks Jonro, I'm planning on putting these indicators in for the rear. However have to see if they are canbus free. 

I've seen these LEDs (second picture) which I may use for the reverse lights. Only thing is I have to see if it will fit into the whole which goes into the reflector

Screenshot_20170810-143218.png

Screenshot_20170810-143237.png

I have used the bulbs below in the past and they were good quality and didn't throw up any errors, that's not to say they won't on your car though. They are bright and light up your behind [emoji87] very well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201914734827 the bulbs you posted are something I have not tried in my own cars.

The Osram signal bulbs are not CANbus friendly and will most likely flash quickly and throw a light up on the dash. You can buy load resistors for them to fool the car though. A standard bulb draws 0.25a and these would only draw 0.17a. I am a fan of the following bulbs even though they are not LED they are still decent. Especially when they are in a clear lens housing, sometimes even the most expensive LEDs can look cheap when turned off.
Philips 12496SVB2 12496-SV PY21 Silver Vision (2 x Bulbs) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K695OGU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6khJzb4W4DRV6

• Like 1

Those reverse lights will look terrible once mounted. The black really stands out (ask me how I know). Try to get some with a white surrounding. 

• Like 2

Those reverse lights will look terrible once mounted. The black really stands out (ask me how I know). Try to get some with a white surrounding. 

Agreed, the ones in my link have a white base and a chrome casing which should blend with the inside of the unit. Black does look horrendous, as do the bright yellow chips on the bulbs with 40odd LEDs

• Like 2

That is a good point ThaiFiesta. When I think about it now the black may reflect off the reflectors making it look dark. May be best then to get those LEDs Jonro has. Was also looking at autobeam the other day and they look like a good company also. Overall I just want something bright. 

i quite like my Tango lights :wink:

My 125 is as stock as it comes and goes like a bomb :laugh:

Actually no, as of today, the  washer reservoir, brake fluid, oil and water levels are now fuller than stock.

Just waiting for the engine seizure which had better happen before the guarantee expires:biggrin:

I just lurve that lil turbo.

Actually, i've done 7k5 in 2.75 years, I don't hang around and its been fine so far. I'm 69 and drive like a 17 yo,

Best car i've owned, not too bothered about the bulbs in the indicators..

I have a discount code for the LED sidelights from Autobeam, gives 12% the £7.90 premium LED replacements

So to clarify removing the lense (tango) and replacing the white bulb with a amber will not fail a MOT?

On 10/08/2017 at 10:41 AM, Jonro2009 said:

I can imagine that would have taken forever and a lot of patience. If you filed the pin down then it has the potential to fall out and therefore fail an MOT but in practice it isn't likely. If you file the pin but leave it protruding a little it will be a tighter fit so should stay in OK.
You said you have stuck with Osram, which bulbs have you got? Have you got bulbs that will flash orange? It is essential the bulb itself flashes amber, so the bulb will need to be from their DIADEM range.

It did actually take about 30 minutes each light, I have the patience of a saint. The only issue I came across was that the manual said 581 (py21w) which is the right bulb for the rear and not 382 (p21w). I removed one of the lenses (snapped it up) then tried the bulb, didn't fit so I had to run to my local auto shop (available Taylor's) and buy some cheap 382 amber halogens.

Very surprised the police never pulled me because my left indicator flashed white lol

The 581s fit in the back and make the rear lights look alot better.

Anyone got a MOT safe suggestion for the fronts (382 amber p21w)?

There is no reason for the car to fail an MOT if you have indicators that flash Amber. Removing the lenses is not a problem as long as the bulbs flash Amber and the light cluster is intact.

What are you running at the front at the moment? As above, the bulbs must be functional and flash amber. Fit whatever bulbs you need to fit when it comes to 382 or 581, just make sure that when they flash the colour you see is Amber. LEDs need to have either built in or inline resisters. If you are going for Halogen then get diadem bulbs.

What exactly is concerning you?

Sleep is over rated

• Like 1

12 hours ago, winemart2 said:

I'm really gonna lose heaps of sleep about my non de-trango'd lights.

Heaven help the de-tango'd  _rick who cuts me up at ALDIDL.

What has the colour of his indicators, when they are off got to do with cutting you up? 

On 12 August 2017 at 1:55 AM, winemart2 said:

i quite like my Tango lights :wink:

My 125 is as stock as it comes and goes like a bomb :laugh:

Actually no, as of today, the  washer reservoir, brake fluid, oil and water levels are now fuller than stock.

Just waiting for the engine seizure which had better happen before the guarantee expires:biggrin:

I just lurve that lil turbo.

Actually, i've done 7k5 in 2.75 years, I don't hang around and its been fine so far. I'm 69 and drive like a 17 yo,

Best car i've owned, not too bothered about the bulbs in the indicators..

You don't have to be bothered about the indicators, you don't have to be bothered about anything someone else does to their car.

Aslong as you enjoy your car, that's all that matters, let them enjoy theirs.

So has your fiesta been as reliable as you thought? IE not very and the new electrical bits failing all the time? 

• Like 2

What has the colour of his indicators, when they are off got to do with cutting you up? 

Seems to be an ongoing theme with posts from this self proclaimed 69yr old boy racer, they are all of equal irrelevance, interest and not welcome on the threads. #troll #fishing

• Like 1

Newblet I think it would be fine as all the indicators would be flashing amber then. I can't remember for certain if the MOT says anything about an indicator flashing white. 

On 13/08/2017 at 2:48 PM, MarksST said:

So has your fiesta been as reliable as you thought? IE not very and the new electrical bits failing all the time?

Hi Mark, seems i'm not expected to have an opinion.

The only thing I don't like with fords are that they are prone to rust underneath. My dad's friend has a 2010 fiesta and just wanted to have a peak underneath and found it was more rusted than my 2006 fiesta. 

Been under my 56 fiesta and didn't see much rust.

The 382  lights I installed are amber in color and flash amber, I plan on getting chrome which flash amber in the future that was just a quick fix due to the mistake I made.

I'm installing fog lights and since you (johnro) referred to LEDs would these be ok.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282438242666

Been under my 56 fiesta and didn't see much rust.

The 382  lights I installed are amber in color and flash amber, I plan on getting chrome which flash amber in the future that was just a quick fix due to the mistake I made.

I'm installing fog lights and since you (johnro) referred to LEDs would these be ok.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282438242666

Do you already have fog lamps fitted and you are upgrading the bulbs or are you fitting fogs on a new fused circuit, new wiring and new switch.
Jon

I have a mk6.5 style so the wires for the fog lamps were included behind the trims. I have installed some fog lamps off a 07 fiesta and was just curious if them led h11 bulbs would be fine to replace the nasty yellow halogen bulbs already installed