Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expansion tank/resevoir

thakrsun

Hello

I had the degas hose on my 2013 Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost replaced in March this year as it split. I noticed the other week that the expansion tank has a very small crack that is dripping fluid at a very slow rate. Does anybody know the part number for the expansion tank? I bought the car second hand in '14 and had it serviced with Ford in '15, then serviced independantly in '16 & 17 so doubt Ford will replace the tank for free. I'm also assuming replacing the tank is straight forward job I can do myself. 

Thanks in advance

Others will no doubt be along shortly with the part number but to answer your other question, yes it's a very straightforward part to replace.

• Like 1

The coolant reservoir has Finis number 1717053 and part number 8V61-8K218-AE and costs approximately €20,-.

You should also replace the coolant reservoir cap. The coolant reservoir cap has Finis number 1301104 and part number 3M5H-8100-AD and costs approximately €15,-

A cracked coolant reservoir is a known problem of the 1.0 and 1.6 ECOboost engines. This problem is basically caused by the relative high coolant temperature which causes the plastic material of the reservoir to age prematurely. It also causes the coolant to crystallize. Crystallized coolant can cause the pressure relief valve in the coolant reservoir cap to become seized. Even very low mileage vehicles can show these symptoms. You should check the coolant inside the reservoir for chrystals/solid material and if you find any of these the coolant should also be replaced.

• Like 4

Thanks JW. Yes, we've only got 23k on the clock so I was surprised how quickly its deteriorated. 

Another point of concern is the additional electric coolant pump. The purpose of this pump is to circulate the coolant after the engine is switched off while it is still above a certain temperature value. The electric coolant pump circulates the coolant through the cooling system until the temperature drops and prevents excessive heat build-up inside the turbocharger and the coolant reservoir.

On the Focus MK3  1.0 ECOboost produced before 05-05-2014 the additional electric coolant pump is only present on vehicles that are equipped with a factory fitted towing hook. When retrofiiting a towing hook to a 1.0 ECOboost produced before 05-05-2014 Ford prescribes to also retrofit the additional electric coolant pump.

On the Focus MK3  1.0 ECOboost produced after 05-05-2014 the additional electric coolant pump is always present.

Ford must have had a very good reason to start installing the additional electric coolant pump as standard. I suspect that the reason for this were the cooling system problems of the 1.0 ECOboost. When I discovered discoloration and microcracks inside the material of the coolant reservoir my car was less than 3 years old and only less than 20.000 KM on the clock. I decided to not only replace the coolant reservoir, coolant reservoir cap and coolant but also to retrofit the additional electric coolant pump system.  

• Like 2

before i fitted i fitted the additional coolant pump , my coolant level slowly kept dropping . pressure tested ,never found a leak and just kept topping it up every 3 months or so(only a small amount required every time)
but as soon as i fitted the pump then my coolant loss stopped.

• Like 1