Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Supercharging my MK2.5, Can it be done?

Gavin01

As per title, can it be done?  I've been looking at the various options (supercharging or turbocharging) and while both will require some amount of work to it, I'm interested to find out if anyone has seen it or done it before to a MK2.5 1.6 Zetec.

I'm sure I could fit all the gubbins in the engine, but looking at the air intake, the 1.6 zetec has, from what I can see, a main intake pipe which enters a distribution block (presumably where the MAF is located) and then 4 separate air feed pipes into the crank case.

598dc675537db_myfocus2.thumb.jpg.aacbb923bd6d0afb55c1bc31d17d7093.jpg

I wont be undertaking this project for a while, as I want to do my research so thought I would start here on FOC, home of the wisest and cleverest ford owners anywhere. :biggrin:

I know there uses to be a rotex kit for the zetec se found in the mk5 fiesta and I think OC Motorsport used to do the conversion but I think they stoped doing them now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Think your current electronics will stop you. Your dash will look like a Christmas tree:biggrin:

I am from an age where it was possible to take the Blower off a Commer 2 stroke lorry and graft it between carbs and the inlet on a V8 and then go drag racing but modern cars are designed to keep the owner out.:sad:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trillionz said:

Think your current electronics will stop you. Your dash will look like a Christmas tree:biggrin:

I am from an age where it was possible to take the Blower off a Commer 2 stroke lorry and graft it between carbs and the inlet on a V8 and then go drag racing but modern cars are designed to keep the owner out.:sad:

Are you referring to the fact I will need a remap or new ECU?

Despite both being part of the Ford Sigma engine family the older 1.6 Zetec-S(E) engine and the newer 1.6 Duratec engine do have loads of technical differences.

A supercharger or turbocharger kit that is designed for the 1.6 Zetec-S(E) will definetely not be a direct fit to a 1.6 Duratec. As far as I know there are no supercharger or turbocharger kits available for the 1.6 Duratec. Even if you manage to find yourself a supercharger or turbocharger kit for the 1.6 Zetec-S(E) it will require major modifications to make it fit.

In case of a supercharger you need at least a custom build intake manifold which is capable to handle the extra pressure. The stock plastic intake manifold is not strong enough for this. Another problem may be the size of a decent supercharger. A decent supercharger usually takes quite some space. I doubt there is enough space unless you get rid of the airconditioning system. You can use the intercooler of an existing engine type (for example TDCI or 2.5 ST) but this also requires modifications. All pipes and hoses to connect all parts need to be custom made.

In case of a turbocharger your basically facing all of the above and on top of this a custom made exhaust manifold.

Next to the supercharger/turbocharger setup itself you should also look at the engine itself. It is recommended to perform an engine rebuild using uprated engine internals that are capable to handle the extra force/power. same applies to the fuel system (pump, presuure regulator, injectors, etc.).

The biggest point of concern will be the software. After installing a supercharger or turbocharger you need custom designed software. The development of this software can take a lot of time and money. 

The whole process involves a serious amount of money. The total costs to get everythinp up and running perfectly can easily be twice the value of the car. 

An 2.5 ST conversion will be cheaper and also results in more power. A complete totalled/scrap Focus ST with running engine can be found for low prices these days. Another possibility will be installing a 1.6 ECOboost engine. The 1.6 ECOboost is also based on the Sigma engine family. However this also needs modifications to make it fit and run correctly. 

• Like 2

I was afraid it would be more complex than I had hoped. I knew a custom intake would be required, and uprated injectors. But you mentioned a whole host of stuff there I hadn't even though about.

So parking this idea to the side, how difficult is it to swap the engine for an ST engine of the same / similar era??

Any Focus MK2/MK2.5 (including the estate) can be technically converted into a ST or RS without any problems. The only problem is basically the spare wheel well (which as ST/RS does not have). However this can easily be solved by installing a custom made exhaust system or welding the spare wheel well.

An ST or RS conversion involves (at least) the following parts:

* Engine including all auxiliaries. 

* Gearbox including all linkages, cables and mechanisms.

* Driveshafts.

* intercooler.

* Full exhaust system.

* Full suspension system.

* Brakes front and rear.

* Air filter housing and hoses.

* Radiator and coolant hoses.

* Wiring harnesses (both engine bay and interior).

* Instrument cluster and additional gauges on top of dashboard.

Finding a donor car will be the easiest way to obtain all needed parts. 

A Focus ST or RS conversion inside a "normal" Focus MK2/MK2.5 body is a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

• Like 1

And everybody keeps saying "it would be easier just to buy an ST" lol....

• Like 1

I'd be one of those people who would just say buy an ST; might not be whats in your mind but it'd be cheaper and easier in the long run.

Don't forget that the ST also runs bigger brakes, stiffer suspension and other uprated parts to deal with the power other than just the engine upgrades.

Maybe time to start saving for a nice ST or just put up with what you've got.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iFocus said:

I'd be one of those people who would just say buy an ST; might not be whats in your mind but it'd be cheaper and easier in the long run.

Don't forget that the ST also runs bigger brakes, stiffer suspension and other uprated parts to deal with the power other than just the engine upgrades.

Maybe time to start saving for a nice ST or just put up with what you've got.

I love my focus. I'm treating it as my do-er-upper as well as my daily drive. I certainly want to do things like lower it, rear disc conversion, among other things. It would be nice to give it some more power too. Supercharging or turbo charging ain't going to be easy, nor an ST conversion. And without a garage and a second car to use, it seems this would be a step too far for me at the moment.

I appreciate the advice everyone. Suppose I can always get a remap done to squeeze out a few of those MIA horses.

I wouldn't waste your money on having a naturally aspirated engine remapped, you'll be VERY lucky to even see 10 extra BHP for your £350.

As little as that eh? :sad:  Sigh, I guess it will be just all show and no go lol....

12 minutes ago, Gavin01 said:

As little as that eh? :sad:  Sigh, I guess it will be just all show and no go lol....

No turbo basically means very little gain I'm afraid mate.  At least it'll look nice :smile:

ST Conversion is best choice.

As JW said you will need some of them parts others you can do at a later date. 

You cannot use the RS gearbox as the driveshafts will never fit and you wheels will come way out. As RS is wider. ST or RS engine with ST gearbox, and front subframe from ST. 

ST standard is 225BHP, RS is 300BHP and you could stage 1 the ST and get around 260-270bhp But ST engine would need a Block MOD. RS Cam get away with it but these engines are 1. Hard to find and 2. Worth loads of money. 

Wiring is easy once you old engine is out. You may also need to swap the abs module unless you find a ST1 wiring harness. The only reason you need to swap the engine bay wiring is for the power steering and some other connections for sensors. 

You could pick up ST engines for around £2000, including the gearbox etc. 

Breaking ST for around 1500+ but that's if your lucky. 

It's cheap if you do the work yourself, if not your out of luck this can cost 1000+ to get a garage to do it. 

You may also if you have the heater core which has a black clip in the piping need to replace that with complete version without cut, as the ST or RS engine do run coolant alot faster and more pressure.

You will also need the top strut mount. 

All in all this is a engine you can have fun with. BTW its a VOLVO derived T5 Engine. 5 cylinders of pure power and sound. If you crazy enough to beat others to the 600bhp mark. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club