Do Not Sell My Personal Information

brakes

antward91

40 minutes ago, Siye-ZS said:

Another way to check this is get a friend to stand at the end of a road and listen to you braking to idenify the noise. I have had the same issue, it can sound like the front and its the rear. So you can spend lots of time on the front and it wont even be the front. Although it doesnt matter how many people do the job, some people dont do the job properly. The slightest deposits of dirt etc can cause a noise. Copper ease can attract dirt over time, so if everything is not cleaned properly when fitting new pads, it may cause an issue. The smallest thing can cause this.... I have instances where everything looks all good and clean and its not. So give everything a proper clean and going over and the noise goes. Its annoying but if your thurra you should be fine. Before you do this make sure you know exactly where the noise is from.... Dont want to be doing the front drivers side wasting all your time and its not even that.

Hard braking may just stop the noise because of heat etc, i wouldnt be slamming on anyway when pads are first bedding in, this can cause noise in itself. Try this, put your handbrake slightly on maybe half way and then come to a stop . Make sure its just slightly on and engaged dont want to be doing as 360 on public roads. This should help you figure out if its the fronts.

ive 100 percent got it down to which side of the car it is, frobt or rear seems harder to get though.

the squeaking isn't all the way through braking so it would be hard to test like that? once I've pressed the brakes hard enough to get from 30mph to 20mph the squeal has gone?

I get what you're saying about dirt though, I ran water through the gap in the rear drums around a hour and half ago, lots of gritty looking prices were sat inside the alloy afterwards.

1 hour ago, Siye-ZS said:

Another way to check this is get a friend to stand at the end of a road and listen to you braking to idenify the noise. I have had the same issue, it can sound like the front and its the rear. So you can spend lots of time on the front and it wont even be the front. Although it doesnt matter how many people do the job, some people dont do the job properly. The slightest deposits of dirt etc can cause a noise. Copper ease can attract dirt over time, so if everything is not cleaned properly when fitting new pads, it may cause an issue. The smallest thing can cause this.... I have instances where everything looks all good and clean and its not. So give everything a proper clean and going over and the noise goes. Its annoying but if your thurra you should be fine. Before you do this make sure you know exactly where the noise is from.... Dont want to be doing the front drivers side wasting all your time and its not even that.

Hard braking may just stop the noise because of heat etc, i wouldnt be slamming on anyway when pads are first bedding in, this can cause noise in itself. Try this, put your handbrake slightly on maybe half way and then come to a stop . Make sure its just slightly on and engaged dont want to be doing as 360 on public roads. This should help you figure out if its the fronts.

just tried the handbrake, 3rd click it still squeaked, 4th click got alot quieter squeak

1 hour ago, antward91 said:

just tried the handbrake, 3rd click it still squeaked, 4th click got alot quieter squeak

Ahh so maybe it is the drums, this is something ull have to make sure off.

8 hours ago, Siye-ZS said:

Ahh so maybe it is the drums, this is something ull have to make sure off.

maybe,but, why would the noise stop for 800 miles after having the front discs and pads changed if it was the rear? doesn't make sense.

I think I'll go with having the front brakes cleaned and greased at the weekend.both sides just to make sure.

if that fails I know quick fit do a full brake check where everything is stripped down and inspected for faults, discs,pads, drums,piston etc, for £25 , would that be worth doing?

2 hours ago, antward91 said:

maybe,but, why would the noise stop for 800 miles after having the front discs and pads changed if it was the rear? doesn't make sense.

I think I'll go with having the front brakes cleaned and greased at the weekend.both sides just to make sure.

if that fails I know quick fit do a full brake check where everything is stripped down and inspected for faults, discs,pads, drums,piston etc, for £25 , would that be worth doing?

No that wouldnt be worth doing, the issue is not the caliper. if the piston is gone the brakes would be seezed and wouldnt not push back in. Just have the drivers side cleaned, sanded and greased it should solve the issue. If not spend money on some better pads. Maybe your drums need doing too even if the noise isnt just from the front.

26 minutes ago, Siye-ZS said:

No that wouldnt be worth doing, the issue is not the caliper. if the piston is gone the brakes would be seezed and wouldnt not push back in. Just have the drivers side cleaned, sanded and greased it should solve the issue. If not spend money on some better pads. Maybe your drums need doing too even if the noise isnt just from the front.

thanks mate what do you do with the drums?

On 21/09/2017 at 9:41 AM, Siye-ZS said:

having them cleaned etc on Saturday, would this grease from euro car parts be suitable .

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/maintenance-fluids-and-greases/grease/?526770250&0&cc5_150&gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xMFC_nMcAQ7B7Bjl_VmIzpJr-XpjlWU4jKEY7uL7xDbuqEhQD6kRnuxoC59kQAvD_BwE

looks good to me as it would be applied to slides aswell as back of pads , where as copper grease can't be applied to sliders can it?

12 minutes ago, antward91 said:

copper grease can't be applied to sliders can it?

yes it can , without any problems whatsoever.

although that stuff you linked to looks pretty good.

15 hours ago, biff55 said:

yes it can , without any problems whatsoever.

although that stuff you linked to looks pretty good.

I've bought some of that stuff to use as I refurb my 12 year old rear calipers, the reviews seem good and it's highly spoke of in forums for a few different car manufacturers.

Copper grease is an anti seize compound rather than a lubricant.  It's not designed for constant movement really.

I always use red rubber grease on slide pins.  And use that cera-tec on pad backs, it doesn't pick up all the dirt like copper grease does and doesn't seem to dry out in the same way either.

had brakes stripped down , cleaned and 're greased yesterday morning, the noise went away, until today, back to the same again.

one of the pads was dry and full of brake dust where it fits into place, is their a reason why it wouldn't be getting through the grease and drying out causing the noise?

or could it be another issue?

Hi,reading the posts,one thing that hasn't been mentioned from what I can see is the caliper piston.Is the piston running smoothly and no lateral play?Maybe some time should be taken to have a closer inspection?Just a thought buddy.

8 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Hi,reading the posts,one thing that hasn't been mentioned from what I can see is the caliper piston.Is the piston running smoothly and no lateral play?Maybe some time should be taken to have a closer inspection?Just a thought buddy.

can't say I've inspected It, but surely any piston issue would lead to either a seized piston or the car pulling to the side when braking? 

I'm really inclined to think that something is causing the grease to wear away, new grease = no squeal , but only for a limited amount of time.

to me if it was anything other than that the brakes would have carried on squealing regardless of the grease being 're applied 

What I'm thinking is when you press the pedal lightly there is a vibration and then when more pressure is executed onto the disc the vibration is lost but I could be way off the park.I've serviced all my brakes and never had a squeak,ever,maybe I've been lucky.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club