Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet lock

Freddy42

Disaster!  After removing and replacing the bonnet lock on the other car, 2010 Focus 1.6TDCi, the bonnet is now closed but the key will not open it, something is not engaging as the key turns with no resistance.  Advice welcome; preferably not referring to a 14lb hammer!  Thanks.

Oops!  Just discovered there is more info on this elsewhere on the site.  Cracking up slowly here.

18 hours ago, Freddy42 said:

Disaster!  After removing and replacing the bonnet lock on the other car, 2010 Focus 1.6TDCi, the bonnet is now closed but the key will not open it, something is not engaging as the key turns with no resistance.  Advice welcome; preferably not referring to a 14lb hammer!  Thanks.

got the exact same problem with mine mate, got quoted £300 from a garage as they said they'd have to break the grill etc. tried the screwdriver trick but it didn't work for me.

I found that you can remove the under tray, move the radiator out of the way and undo the catch from under the car. 

a family friend is doing this for me this morning so I'll let you know how it goes.

Hope you are successful.  I shall be offline for several days - please let me know anyway if you sort it.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, antward91 said:

I found that you can remove the under tray, move the radiator out of the way and undo the catch from under the car. 

Did you get it sorted?

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/08/2017 at 7:09 PM, Freddy42 said:

Did you get it sorted?

sorry for the late reply, not signed in for a while.

didn't manage to get into the bonnet myself, 

a local garage did and charged me £103 parts and labour, faulty cable was to blame.

103 quids is very reasonable.  New grille and lock cylinder cost me 50 and then almost 2 hours to fit them.  One positive though - the satisfaction of sorting it myself!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Freddy42 said:

103 quids is very reasonable.  New grille and lock cylinder cost me 50 and then almost 2 hours to fit them.  One positive though - the satisfaction of sorting it myself!

didn't need a new grill mate God knows how they managed to open it, probably should have asked, I think they charged 56 for the whole lock mechanism with vat plus an hour labour , I was happy with the price and just to open the bonnet again, but like you say I wish I could have managed it myself 

The bonnet lock mechanism is disastrously frail on these model Focuses.

I have had the pleasure of replacing 2 of them on a previous car.

For future reference anyone looking at changing or removing the grill should place a coke can or something under the mechanism once the grill is removed to try keep it in place. They seem to disengage very easily.

• 9 months later...
On 18 September 2017 at 4:51 PM, antward91 said:

sorry for the late reply, not signed in for a while.

didn't manage to get into the bonnet myself, 

a local garage did and charged me £103 parts and labour, faulty cable was to blame.

Hi, I have today found the same problem that my bonnet lock is just turning in my 2010 Zetec s tdci focus. I've been to ford today to get a price on parts. Apparently there are two types, a cable one and a mechechinsm one. They quoted around £60 for each but £228 labour.

my local independent garage has quoted £50 plus vat if I supply the lock. I was just wondering if you knew which part number the lock is you bought? So I make sure I get the right one .

thanks in advance

scott

mine went wrong, having spent 3 weeks searching every ford forum, stripping it down 3 times obviously following total rubbish about the problem (much like the radio reception issues), I went to my ford dealer bought the repair kit for £40 and followed this brilliant video

before 1/4 turn (max travel) and a fight wouldn't do anything,

with the new cable 1/8 turn pops the bonnet catch every time and still going strong 4 years later.  with every MOT man happy do dent the bonnet trying to release the catch, I would recco anyone who needs to move the key the full travel, does this before the bonnet is trashed by some muppet

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 7:50 PM, Scottwizz1981 said:

Hi, I have today found the same problem that my bonnet lock is just turning in my 2010 Zetec s tdci focus. I've been to ford today to get a price on parts. Apparently there are two types, a cable one and a mechechinsm one. They quoted around £60 for each but £228 labour.

my local independent garage has quoted £50 plus vat if I supply the lock. I was just wondering if you knew which part number the lock is you bought? So I make sure I get the right one .

thanks in advance

scott

Sorry for the delayed reply I've not logged in for a while.

http://www.vospers.com/parts/genuine-ford-focus-mk2-bonnet-lock-repair-kit.html

That is the part which was the same as mine, should be the same as yours given it's the same year.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can unlock the bonnet by own also without taking help from any locksmith. It can be done with the help of using bonnet opening manual.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club