Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alloys change Insurance?

Zektic

No one from my insurance company has ever seen my car. If I change my steel wheels to genuine ford alloys will I need to declare it or can I say they came with the car?

1 minute ago, Zektic said:

No one from my insurance company has ever seen my car. If I change my steel wheels to genuine ford alloys will I need to declare it or can I say they came with the car?

Yes you will still have to tell them, they can get all the information on your car including wheel type as how it left the factory

• Like 2

Have you had it from new? If not then you could just plead ignorance and say they were on when you bought it, previous owner must have done it and because they were Ford alloys you assumed they were originals. That would be dishonest of course, something I wouldn't advocate when it comes to insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put it this way. Even if your insurance is £500 a year and they double it because of your alloys, is it going to cost less than £500 to completely repair your car and possibly someone else's if you have an at fault accident? Worse still and heaven forbid should you injure somebody...

Insurance companies are not your friends. They are there to make money. If the line on the chart in the boardroom doesn't go up then they are not happy so they will look for ANY excuse to not pay out.

The following is a true story. I don't need sympathy - it's just to illustrate the point:

When I was 4, my mum, dad and I were in the car coming home from seeing a house my parents wanted to buy. A woman driving a double decker bus was late picking up the kids for the school run and was using an unapproved route as a shortcut. This unapproved route happened to be the one we were travelling on and was unapproved as there happened to be a nasty bend on it unsuitable for double decker buses. Anyway, she came round the corner on the wrong side of the road and slammed head to head with our Sierra. Dad was killed and mum was in a coma for 3 weeks.

When she finally got around to sorting everything out mum was told by the insurance company that there was to be a 6 month wait on any payouts until they could determine whether or not my dad had committed suicide.

They will use any and every tactic to not pay.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So as not to offend I am not offering sympathy but I am acknowledging a truly sad story and hope in time your mum recovered well. You are right, insurance is a business. They are there to make money, not give it away. If there is a get out clause they are going to use it, something as stupid as not declaring a bean can exhaust is enough in some cases. I do know of one guy who had a saxo (back in the day) who hit a tree. He had bucket seats and a 5 point harness up front. His girlfriend suffered a punctured lung and she claimed off his insurance for her injury and loss of earnings. The insurance didn't pay out because he didn't declare the seats, the police even agreed that they saved her life and they were a safety upgrade but the insurance used the non disclosure as a way of not paying out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No offence taken but I didn't want it to come across as a sob story! She did recover but has facial neuralgia from time to time, finds fresh bits of glass embedded in her hands and left ear sometimes and has only just (26 years later) suppressed her agoraphobia enough to enjoy life again.

The bus driver was back at work the following day.

Interestingly as well police at the scene were asking witnesses if they saw "the bus get blown across the road" as it was a windy day. This was another factor the insurance company tried to not pay anything.

That's awful about your friend. Just goes to show that businesses and money are fundamentally immoral...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1