Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help!! Transmission Malfunction Engine Malfunction and "Power steering Malfunction

Arthur_

Hello,

I picked up my 2008 1.8 Zetec Focus on Wednesday from a local used car dealer, its on 105k with FSH

When i was driving it home the car was telling me it was -50° outside which i thought was strange but didn't think anything of it.

I used the car a little bit for a day or two with no problems until i went to Sainsbury's on Saturday night, i filled it up with fuel then i did my shopping.. when i started it again i got a whole load of warning lights and flashing red light! it drove fine so i drove home.

The next day i started the car and had no warning lights, i turned it off and on again and they came back! they said - "Transmission Malfunction" "Engine Malfunction" and "Power steering Malfunction" all with the "!" in a triangle icon.

About an hour later i went to drive the car to see a family member and it wouldn't start! I'm assuming a dead battery not helped by starting the car twice and not driving anywhere?

I know NOTHING about cars but Its obviously an electrical fault? The engine bay is very clean... a friend thinks that maybe someone may of power washed the engine bay and perhaps water got into the ECU?

Anyway I'm obviously very annoyed, i have contacted the dealer and i was told they'd call me back tomorrow when the right person is in. i can't imagine they'd do anything anyway! i have a 3 months warranty but it only covers the engine & gearbox.

Id appreciate your thoughts... 

Thanks

Arthur

Just see what the dealer says as far I know they from what you mentioned sold you a vehicle not fit for purpose and should either try rectify the issues or let you choose another car of similar value.

"About an hour later i went to drive the car to see a family member and it wouldn't start! I'm assuming a dead battery not helped by starting the car twice and not driving anywhere?"

starting the car twice and not driving anywhere can not be blamed for a flat battery. It should be capable of starting a huge number of times and not driving anywhere if it good order.

Read this: https://www.whatcar.com/news/consumer-rights-act-2015-new-consumer-law-will-help/

don't let them fob you off. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, isetta said:

"About an hour later i went to drive the car to see a family member and it wouldn't start! I'm assuming a dead battery not helped by starting the car twice and not driving anywhere?"

starting the car twice and not driving anywhere can not be blamed for a flat battery. It should be capable of starting a huge number of times and not driving anywhere if it good order.

Read this: https://www.whatcar.com/news/consumer-rights-act-2015-new-consumer-law-will-help/

don't let them fob you off. 

Thanks for that, that is very helpful! i will print this off and bring it with me when i go see them! I take it this is a serious issue the car has?

Chances are the dealership will simply clear any fault codes and disconnect the battery first and say it's fixed if they don't come back immediately.

Ask for a worksheet after they are done and if this is the case, drive it a bit harder than you normally would on the way back home. Also try turning the ignition on and off several times while still at the dealer. Ratty fault codes like what these seem to be (rather than actual problems, though there could well be something amiss) do tend to come and go if the cause is not properly resolved.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

By the sounds of it, it is a dead or potential dead pcm. 

The ecu can cause all these issues but so can a fuse or wiring issue. 

It's a lot of work to track electrical issues, some just keep swapping parts until it's fixed.

Do as the other member have stated and get the dealership to solve it. As a new ecu is a lot of money, and it doesn't even come programmed to the car. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Yo having exact same issue man- what was your solution???

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anyone find the solution for this fault. I have it with a 2009 diesel. 
mot definately isn’t the terminals in the back of the clock cluster as some you tubers suggest. (I’ve repaired them all). 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club