Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Minimum litre engine for motorways

Dan_C

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

A guaranteed money back if you don't like it is great. Getting all the little jobs done is good, and getting the timing belt done is a bonus. Will they do the water pump too? Make sure you get the change documented as this may we'll be a clincher when you come to resell. When is the MOT due? If it is in the next 3-6months ask them to include that in the price when the time comes, they should have no issue with this if they are confident with the car. Unless otherwise agreed it will not have a valid RFL so be sure to check this and make arrangements if it doesn't. Glad you are happy with the car, enjoy. I take it you put the deposit down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah it's a nice thing to have, otherwise I'd be spending more time sorting it out myself. He didn't mention water pump but if it's being serviced surely they'd look at that? And MOT is March 2018 I think. There's been advisories of coolant leaks so they must address that if it's linked with the water pump?

And yes I put the deposit down, looks a good deal on a really nice car. I'm hoping I can take it away on Thursday when I go back. 

Just called and they said the coolant leak is coming from somewhere else but I said to change the water pump anyway, it's worth it if they going to be taking the engine apart when accessing the timing belt. More of a reassurance thing, as I expect engine replacements aren't cheap!

I wouldn't expect that to be the cause of the leak but it is good practice to change the pump at the same time as the belt, as you said they are so close they may as well do it.

thermostat housing is the most likley cause of coolant leak, quite common.

• Like 1

I can't remember where they said the leak was coming from but he did say he's ordered in a new part so it won't be an issue anymore. The car has done 80,000 miles and I beliee its the first cambelt change, so for peace of mind might as well do the water pump as it's only £30 or so more. How long do cambelts expect to go on for? 60,000 miles or something? 

According to Ford it's 10 years or 100k miles

Ah well that's alright then, should get loads of life from it in time I own the vehicle! 

Hello Dan_C,

I live in mainland Europe, so regularly take the Fiesta (Ecoboost 1l/100HP) out on the autobahn (no speed limits sometimes) and in other countries such as Switzerland, France and Belgium. Indeed I just did a 1000km road trip this weekend through the Alps, France and German in it. During the trip the highest speed limits were mostly 120 or 130kph, It can handle this without any problem what so ever. Outside of these more exotic trips, I use it for a daily commute which is a mix of city and motorway driving without any problems. In general as others have said you need to adapt your driving style to the car, in general this is only an issue when you need more sudden rapid acceleration which may require dropping a gear, at higher speeds this can effect the car's composure. However, cruising in 5th at either of the speeds above is fine. I gather the new Fiesta has a 6th gear which should make the experience even better (I hope).

If I were to buy it again I would go for the 125, just as it has a little more oomph. That said the 100HP is perfectly good for what I use it for.

Cheers,

Rod

Hi Rod thanks for the reply. I think someone mentioned there's a substantial difference between the Zetec and Ecoboost models. I just wanted to know the minimum I'd be wanting to survive 70 odd miles on the motorway, which isn't too often. I'm switching from a diesel where I'll miss the 1.9sdi with less revs in 5th. However as it's only once a month or so a petrol would be more wise, esp with me doing so few motorway miles in a year. It looks 90% Iikely I will be taking the 1.4 zetec home after a second test drive, but useful to know for the future if I save up in the meantime and want to upgrade.

Many years ago Fiat made a car with a 47hp engine of 903cc which was geared to 5000rpm at 70mph. It was just a matter with putting up with the noise and on the lightly trafficked and enforced roads of the day it could travel far greater distances at 80+mph than is possible now. I believe things have generally moved on in terms of occupant comfort.

Of course a 90hp 1.4 engine can go on a motorway. Just be prepared to drop to 4th occasionally to maintain momentum. Plan ahead and don't pull right up on someone's backside before overtaking. If you want to overtake, hold back and use that gap to build speed to blend with the other traffic before changing lane. 

1 hour ago, David73 said:

Many years ago Fiat made a car with a 47hp engine of 903cc which was geared to 5000rpm at 70mph. It was just a matter with putting up with the noise and on the lightly trafficked and enforced roads of the day it could travel far greater distances at 80+mph than is possible now. I believe things have generally moved on in terms of occupant comfort.

Of course a 90hp 1.4 engine can go on a motorway. Just be prepared to drop to 4th occasionally to maintain momentum. Plan ahead and don't pull right up on someone's backside before overtaking. If you want to overtake, hold back and use that gap to build speed to blend with the other traffic before changing lane. 

Its going to be a bit of a change moving from the diesel that's for sure. It'll just be more revs I suppose. One worry was getting onto motorways from a slip road with a 1.2 or something and it being difficult!

Just had a call from the dealership saying the work's been done and I can come and test drive it again. So hopefully should be taking it home the next time I see it. They didn't change the water pump as its in a different part of the engine, unlike VW's where its next to the cambelt. It was fine apparently so I saved £30 or so!

The coolant leak was coming from the expansion tank which they've ordered a brand new one so there'll be no issues for future MOT's.

• Like 2

On 15/08/2017 at 6:21 AM, CyprusPluto said:

The engine size in isolation is not the only key to motorway driving, but power of that engine. Remember the 1.0 Ecoboost comes in various power modes. My 125 is fine. One annoying aspect of M/way driving is someone that moves to overtake you and then simply drives at the same speed as you, but now along side you. You're both approaching a slower moving lorry ahead, but your boxed in so you either put your foot down to create a gap to pull out or slow down. I can usually pull ahead, a slower car would have to pull back. Both are possible.

On 70mph roads I would suggest at least 100bhp in a small car (Fiesta) or 120 in a medium car (Focus). For easier driving another 20bhp on each of them is better. Anything less is okay, but you have to adapt to the cars abilities, for yours and everyone else's safety. You can't simply pull out into faster moving traffic with a low powered car that accelerates in geological time, but all modern cars easily travel at 70mph once they get to that speed.

I did drive an 82bhp Fiesta, which I believe is a larger 1.25 engine on a 70mph dual carriageway. I put my foot down to overtake a coach and had to look at the speedo to see if I was actually accelerating  - I couldn't tell. (I was use to driving a much faster car though)

Thats a pretty perfect answer you know, I previously have driven a Prodrive Impreza, and since that 3 Smart Cars - all on the motorway.  The Subaru would simply do anything you ask of it, the Smarts will happily cruise along the motorway but you have to be aware of their limitations.

Any modern Ford will happily manage motorway miles and speeds.

• Like 2

The car is most likely to be loaded up with equipment (I play in a rock band) and 1-2 passengers depending how much gear there is. So I will have to be careful when doing high speeds.

What's ironic is that now I'm switching back to petrol there may be increased needs to drive on motorways more regularly! But its only on weekends anyway, so still wouldn't be over 10,000 miles a year.

49 minutes ago, TomBoyNI said:

Thats a pretty perfect answer you know, I previously have driven a Prodrive Impreza, and since that 3 Smart Cars - all on the motorway.  The Subaru would simply do anything you ask of it, the Smarts will happily cruise along the motorway but you have to be aware of their limitations.

Any modern Ford will happily manage motorway miles and speeds.

Cheers

The car is most likely to be loaded up with equipment (I play in a rock band) and 1-2 passengers depending how much gear there is. So I will have to be careful when doing high speeds.
What's ironic is that now I'm switching back to petrol there may be increased needs to drive on motorways more regularly! But its only on weekends anyway, so still wouldn't be over 10,000 miles a year.

With that being said it might actually make more sense to get a diesel then. As you aren't buying new then you may not have to worry about DPFs and the like, and the cost doesn't have the same petrol/diesel difference with it not being new. You will have more torque on the motorway then, just a thought.

To reiterate many of the people on here, it is not impossible or unsafe to drive a less powerful car on the motorway but you need to be more aware of what is going on ahead of you as well as around you, and plan your overtakes and lane changes. Thinking about it, after driving cars in excess of 100bhp for many years I would not like to go back down to less powerful engines.

Hmmm not sure, I'm currently doing less motorway driving than I used to. Maybe not every weekend but at least once a month I reckon. It's only if the van we usually travel in isn't available, or if I'm working late and have to meet the guys at the venue.

The rest of the time it'll be short trips of less than 10 miles. Normally to the van which is 4 miles away from me lol.

i wouldnt want to use a fiesta to ferry around band mates + their kit  up and down the motorway if im being honest , a focus will be a bit more suitable by virtue of being more spacious inside and smoother at longer distance cruising.

something like a 5 door focus in zetec trim with an earlier DPF free 1.6 / 1.8 turbo diesel engine might make gig night journeys alot less cramped and tiring..........

and i'm guessing the drummer + his kit will be making his own way to the battle of the bands ? lol

no room for him in a fezza otherwise you'll be needing an estate as a minimum  :-D

Lol we split the gear up between 2-3 cars, so I'm not taking everything. The drummer has his own car thankfully, I'm not taking his kit! Haha.

Usually I'll take a coupe of guitar amps, guitars and pedalboards, maybe some merch boxes. And 1 other person. 

I do about 700 miles a weekend in my 1.0L ecoboost, the 123bhp one and its more than capable, i do Portsmouth to Liverpool on half a tank and thats without driving that economical really. the 1.0L's are a surprising little engine. It handles overtaking nicely aswell.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, biff55 said:

something like a 5 door focus in zetec trim with an earlier DPF free 1.6 / 1.8 turbo diesel engine might make gig night journeys alot less cramped and tiring..........

I would hold off getting an old diesel for the minute. The government are probably going to being in new tax measures on them in the not too distant future. Some cities have also banned them from going through town centres etc.

Just a word of warning, the boot is the size of a postage stamp, 5 door isn't too bad, but don't expect to be lugging stuff around and still have the back seats. Focus would be better suited.

22 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

I would hold off getting an old diesel for the minute. The government are probably going to being in new tax measures on them in the not too distant future. Some cities have also banned them from going through town centres etc.

Just a word of warning, the boot is the size of a postage stamp, 5 door isn't too bad, but don't expect to be lugging stuff around and still have the back seats. Focus would be better suited.

LOL I went back today to look at the car again with all the repairs done, and had a peek at the boot size. Its really not that small as you say it is! It'll easily hold what I usually take if we ain't got the van. My old car was a certain german brand (not sure if its a curse to say the name on here!) and it was a 3 door. It easily fitted two guitarist's rigs and a bit of drum hardware.

The main boss guy wasn't there however to do the driveaway insurance and I didn't my existing insurance documents with me so I decided to come back tomorrow. Need to speak to him personally about the repairs as his assistant wasn't much use.

Only thing is the old car is still on the road and covered by the existing insurance, I'm still going to try and shift it but if I transfer the insurance over and it gets damaged  by chavs/thugs its done isn't it? I know there'll be an admin fee for changing vehicle but it is still cheaper than buying new from another company?

You can't just not insure the old one these days it has to be taken off road (SORN).

Well I don't want to pay for two cars to be insured. I know of some insurers that may let you have 30 days tide over insurance to allow you to sell the car in that period.

Its still taxed for another 6 months. Just with the new car I'll be insuring I want to transfer it to that, but still looking to shift the old one.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club