Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Focus - does anybody know what this is for?

englishl1989

Hi All,

Just purchased my first ever ford. A 2012 Focus Zetec

Does anybody have any idea what these two blocks are above the rear view mirror? I assume they provide some sort of 12V feed. But what to? And what is it's intended purpose?

IMG_3871.thumb.jpg.380d27f3bbaa17a4accc8f4130d67232.jpg

IMG_3870.thumb.jpg.49b91bf868c6d8059ec48dd83d5d72ae.jpg

IMG_3869.thumb.jpg.5fca4d387a9ad21615c3facaa67d564f.jpg

These are the ground connections of the heated windscreen.

• Like 5

Is there meant to be something that covers them? Or do all focuses look like that.

What makes me ask is the cut out from the roof lining....

5 minutes ago, englishl1989 said:

Is there meant to be something that covers them? Or do all focuses look like that.

What makes me ask is the cut out from the roof lining....

Does the windscreen have Ford stamped on it, if not, the windscreen may have been replaced and someone's cut the roof lining to aid removal of the screen?

Yes the windscreen has been replaced before I purchased it. So I guess the cover has been removed and not replaced.

Does anybody know what cover / part number is meant to go there so I can order one ? 

Ive seen a rain cover which looks like it could go there but I am not certain. 

mine has got the rain sensor so slightly different. thatd the one part , then another small cover fits the other side of mirror in your case. will look on eBay and see if i can see what you need.

1503343013654.jpg1503343071360.jpg1503343089251.jpg

thats what ive got, but not sure if it will be the correct one for you, i will tag clive @stoney871 and see if he can identify the part numbers. if not, a can find out tommorow for you.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian. Appreciate it! 

Have a nice evening 

Thanks Ian. Appreciate it! 

Have a nice evening 

If you can P/M me your car registration or VIN then I'll search microcat for you and be 100% sure you are pointed towards the right part.

I'm pretty certain that the one you located on eBay is only for cars with rain sensors fitted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Having exhaustively scanned Microcat I have come to one conclusion-

Luke, There are no covers missing from the car.

What it appears to be to me is that the two black covers have been slid down or cut short, possibly you can slide them back up again?

That loom tape covered wire is most likely a non standard wire, likely run to that location for a dashcam or suchlike or possibly a non standard connection to splice the heater matrix as the original was damaged when your windscreen was replaced?

Slide the right hand cover down more to check or see if it is/not connected to anything?

That sticky pad marked bit (circled in picture) lends more weight to my theory that there was a dashcam stuck there.

I know this doesn't help to cover the chunks missing from your headliner but there really are no covers listed for the mk3 focus unless it has rain sensors fitted.

599b4a12a3c62_ModifiedPicLuke.jpg.91a0f7f65a715ff55b82c3d588a6e26b.jpg599b49f1eb544_WindscreenMk3FocusforLuke.jpg.be215e0d2b6b148c3bb9708318f1bcb0.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to look Clive and for your detailed explanation.

i will take a look tomorrow and report back...

i actually plan on installing a dash cam in that position - so that would be a result if that was a constant 12v feed. 

Thanks again, speak more tomorrow 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, englishl1989 said:

Thanks for taking the time to look Clive and for your detailed explanation.

i will take a look tomorrow and report back...

i actually plan on installing a dash cam in that position - so that would be a result if that was a constant 12v feed. 

Thanks again, speak more tomorrow 

So I've taken a look this evening, the wires are the same on both connectors and there doesn't appear to be any unused wires above the roof lining. So I assume they are the original wires. 

They connect to the windscreen pins. The windscreen is not a ford windscreen.

Will a rain sensor cover not just fit over the top of them? As long as I can make it look a bit neater I am not bothered if its not a perfect fit. 

You could probably fit a sensor cover but because that area is blacked out normally it may look a bit odd having an empty cover there.
Maybe get a bit of dark window tinting film put there and cut to size?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

im wondering if the windscreen is wrong? mine didnt have rain sensor but has the covers for it with the circle that sensor would sit blacked out. its a bit of a strange one. the cut outs in lining match my cut outs

• Like 1

think you need to find another focus of same age and zetec and have a look. see what covers there are.

• Like 1

Yeah I think you may be right. 

Thanks for your help. If I find a resolution I will report back...

Might be time to get my 3D printer out... 

• Like 1

unfortunatly i dont work at a normal ford garage anymore or i would have had a look for one by now. all i see are new ones now.

Luke

Just looked at my MK3 Focus 2011 Zetec, with Heated screen. ( Not been replaced )

Mine looks the exact same as your pics posted .

• Like 1

Ah really...thanks I was worried i was missing a part! 

Weird that they haven't made it flush with the lining isn't it !