Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which is the best petrol

spurswes

My Zetec S 1.8 09 plate is petrol but is it any advantage in putting in dearer petrol or will this engine won't see any benefits.

i have put the dearer stuff in odd times but if it's not worth it then I will stop it

Not enough of a gain to warrant it on a regular basis.

The odd tank may help on a long run to "clear the pipes"

I would recommend sticking with the big brands - my Focus was never happy on cheap supermarket petrol.  Asda and Morrison's especially.  Shell was my preferred choice.

Standard engines see no real benefit.
Something like the ST will because it's tuned with premium fuel in mind.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know people often say do not use supermarket fuel. I do not know if any real tests have been done to see if it is worse or not (by a car magazine etc under controlled conditions). My previous diesel fiesta did 146k miles in my ownership. I only ever put cheap asda fuel in it other than a handful of times when I put cheap tesco fuel in it. Now belongs to another family member and now mileage is approaching 160k. He only ever puts cheap supermarket diesel in it. It runs superbly well and no signs of any ill effect from 160k miles of supermarket fuel. perhaps we have just been lucky

• Like 2

I'm with you isetta.i only ever use Sainsbury's diesel and my car never misses a beat and pulls like a train.

2 hours ago, isetta said:

I know people often say do not use supermarket fuel. I do not know if any real tests have been done to see if it is worse or not (by a car magazine etc under controlled conditions). My previous diesel fiesta did 146k miles in my ownership. I only ever put cheap asda fuel in it other than a handful of times when I put cheap tesco fuel in it. Now belongs to another family member and now mileage is approaching 160k. He only ever puts cheap supermarket diesel in it. It runs superbly well and no signs of any ill effect from 160k miles of supermarket fuel. perhaps we have just been lucky

The diesels aren't as fussy.  My Mondeo will run quite happily on whatever is in the tank.

My Focus used to be sluggish, unresponsive and idle was a bit lumpy on Asda or Morrisions petrol.  After a couple of tanks of Shell Fuel-Save Regular, the car was back to its normal self.

No lab/controlled tests, but when your Mother says "What's wrong withthe car? It doesn't seem right!" then it's a fairly good indicator lol

• Like 3

Personally I only use Sainsbury's super unleaded on my 2010 2.0 Titanium. It's only 1-2p more than regular unleaded. I avoid Morrison's like the plague! Every 5 tanks I stick a tank of Shell v power nitro into it. But I do use miller's additive with every tank.. 

Got an ST. Used to only run on VPower. But switched to Tesco momentum and seems to run better. Also saves 6p a litre which is welcome. But like others said. In a 1.6 the difference is negligible. There's certainly not an mpg increase like they all say. Just burns hotter so hopefully keeps the carbon build up down.

• Like 3

Got an ST. Used to only run on VPower. But switched to Tesco momentum and seems to run better. Also saves 6p a litre which is welcome. But like others said. In a 1.6 the difference is negligible. There's certainly not an mpg increase like they all say. Just burns hotter so hopefully keeps the carbon build up down.

Totally agree.
Momentum 99 is good value and ST's run really sweet on it.

i lost 20hp if i didnt use tesco momemtum on my previous mazda3 mps.

• Like 1

I mainly use BP,the others I use depending where I am is Texaco and Esso

I've always used supermarket petrol in my cars, currently drive a focus 2010 1.8 Duratec, never ever had issues with it in 35 years of driving.

I've recently started to use tesco momentum to try and free up some suspected sticky oil control rings (different story) seem to be using less oil though, and  have definitely noticed a slight increase in MPG, used to get around 28mpg but now getting around 32mpg with the same driving habits.

I can count on one hand the times I've filled the tank up though, in all my years of driving. Don't see the point.

Currently mileage on 102,000, hope this helps 👍

• Like 1

On a vaguely related note....Morrisons diesel is utter crap (seeing as it's priced comparably to other supermarkets diesel).

Morrisons use the full 7% permissible bio-diesel content when others only use 5%, meaning the fuel doesn't burn as well as the others and it does a marvellous job of coking up a diesel (even quicker than would usually be the case running diesel with a maximum of 5% bio-diesel content).  (RANT OVER) lol

Too much biodiesel is bad for seals & gaskets too.

• Like 1

What happened to the old fuel suppliers, the likes of National Benzole, Cleveland, Fina.  Nothing could touch National Benzole.

• 3 weeks later...

I regularly use BP and the motor returns 10.4 miles to a litre on average, always over 10.  On a couple of occasions, not consecutive, I filled up with Tesco Momentum which returned 8.9 miles to the litre, a considerable difference.  It seems unlikely the Tesco pumps are delivering short: maybe they shut off differently.

On 23/08/2017 at 10:38 AM, Devonboy said:

What happened to the old fuel suppliers, the likes of National Benzole, Cleveland, Fina.  Nothing could touch National Benzole.

Aye, and the conical Redex dispensers. I remember my dad asking for "4 gallons and 4 shots please", then entering it into his little notebook that he kept in the map tray.

Awaiting on my other thread "super or normal" for a Ti-VCT I reported that Tesco Momentum made my car stutter/jerk when cold engine starting and trying to accelerate. (but fine when warm) 

However that could be skewed because I had a new oil and air filter plugged in plus an oil change when I changed to Sainsburys Premium and it stopped. (Since they are the same price I could go back to Momentum but I dont want to risk ruining my engine further if Tescos was no good. I need to find out if other issues could be causing the stutter/jerkiness first really.)

Edit: I do get a much better fuel range on high octane though, my readings shot up to around 420 miles per tank than before using cheap fuels it used to say around 370-380 miles per tank.

Edited by CrazyInWeston
add more info.

13 hours ago, trailertrash said:

Aye, and the conical Redex dispensers. I remember my dad asking for "4 gallons and 4 shots please", then entering it into his little notebook that he kept in the map tray.

Then you must remember Esso "Put a tiger in your tank"  I still use the shots to this present day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devonboy said:

Then you must remember Esso "Put a tiger in your tank"  I still use the shots to this present day.

Absolutely! I've a keyring somewhere with the Tiger motif. What benefit are you getting from 'the shots'?

I have a 1.6 petrol N/A engine. I find that none of the premium fuels (above 95 RON) give me greater power, or MPG (or at least not to a noticeable extent). The only thing that does change is that the engine seems slightly quieter and smoother when under load, and is quieter during idle as well.

I've been using Shell vpower for a few hundred miles now to clean up the fuel system. Not a Focus but I recently put in a new Lambda sensor and shone a torch down the empty  sensor boss. I could see right into the cat and not a speck of carbon or dirt anywhere. Like it had just left the factory.The old lambda sensor was just slightly brown.

I use Tesco Momentum. The main reason is that it effectively costs less. With standard unleaded I get about 47mpg and with super unleaded about 51. That means despite the higher cost per litre, it costs £10.82 per 100 miles for standard and only £10.60 for super. On top of that it's better for the engine, the throttle feels more responsive and power delivery is better. WIn! Win!

I drove my Focus ST on standard unleaded for 5 years when I lived in Shetland, because you couldn't buy super unleaded; as soon as I moved to Caithness it was back to the super and you could definitely feel the difference when pushing on. At the higher rev end, the car comparatively felt like it was being strangled using standard

• Like 2

On 09/09/2017 at 6:08 PM, CyprusPluto said:

I use Tesco Momentum. The main reason is that it effectively costs less. With standard unleaded I get about 47mpg and with super unleaded about 51. That means despite the higher cost per litre, it costs £10.82 per 100 miles for standard and only £10.60 for super. On top of that it's better for the engine, the throttle feels more responsive and power delivery is better. WIn! Win!

I drove my Focus ST on standard unleaded for 5 years when I lived in Shetland, because you couldn't buy super unleaded; as soon as I moved to Caithness it was back to the super and you could definitely feel the difference when pushing on. At the higher rev end, the car comparatively felt like it was being strangled using standard

You can definitely feel the difference using higher octane fuel with you're driving a turbo.

For naturally aspirated engines I would expect any real increase in day to day performance but with the extra detergents in the fuel it is likely to help keep the engine "clean" internally relative to standard fuel.

My old 2.0 mk1 petrol definetly felt like it had better throttle response and better mpg out of the higher octane petrol. Not tried the new 1.6 yet but I'm hoping to get the same. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club