Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much more fun is the St to Zetec-s

pompeydave1967

Evening all,

As title suggests I,m in the market for an st or 140 st-line / Zetec s.Before I head off to the dealerships to test drive I would like your valued opinions on the st or st line / Zetec s 140. Insurance and running costs arnt a problem now as my title name sort of gives away my age ! Yes I am far too old for one of these but what the hell. I traded in a 100 ecoboost last year for a Astra k 1.0 but change in circumstances means I no longer need a 5 door medium hatch and also would like to return to ford. There seems quite a jump in price between the 2 but I,m looking around a 16 plate. I have seen 140,s on dealership websites and they seem good value for money against I suppose probably the best small hothatch st . How many 140 owners wished they stepped up to the st? Not a position I want to get myself in later..changing cars has cost me a small fortune in the past.should I just go for it is the question. Thanks all.

I'd go for the ST coz sure as eggs are eggs you'd wonder time after time after time again should you have gone ST if you ended up with a 140.
The beauty of the ST is you can drive it slowly knowing that when you floored it you'd be flying.
I test drove one and loved it. (I've a mondeo titanium x sport with the same engine by the way). Oh and I'm older than you lol. Go get a ST. You Won't regret it.

• Like 1

If you are undecided then I'd go for the ST. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it, the engine is pretty special! As your username gives away your age I would suggest you think long and hard about the ride and the ease of getting in and out. My username bears no correlation to my age [emoji12] I hope that comment hasn't offended you. My dad bought a Seat Leon Bocenegra mainly for the twin turbo engine and speed. 6 months later he chopped it in because the ride was too hard, he lost thousands so I'm going off his experience with my comment. He has 10 years on you but he bought the car about 8-10 years ago. So engine and styling are superb but the ride isn't going to be anywhere near what you are used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i got my son the st-3 . its a brilliant car and so comfy and takes the bumps etc really good and is east to get in and out of. if i were you go for the st-2 or the better st3.they have more power that the st or s or st line. definately st-3 for me.

dont buy new as they are about 20k new and a 2 year old as we got with under 20k on the clock was 12.5 k and its immaculate in the bdeep blue colour and get one with the sty pack added if you buying new you should get it for free so make sure its added .

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/ford-fiesta-st-1-vs-st-2-vs-st-3-009

• Like 2

I'm just older than you and I have a mapped 125PS. If they had STs here I'd have one of them. Getting in and out is fine unless you've got some kind of disability. While the ride isn't the softest, the fun you'll have driving more than makes up for it. A change of rear dampers will improve the ride significantly, as the STs are over dampened in the rear. 

• Like 1

Blimey I thought I was the oldest member on here ! Nice to hear there are older members that drive nippy fiestas.

some very valid points all round, thanks guys. I've heard the ride is on the firm side but as thaifiesta said the fun factor will make up for this. Roll on the weekend !

• Like 3

Blimey I thought I was the oldest member on here ! Nice to hear there are older members that drive nippy fiestas.
some very valid points all round, thanks guys. I've heard the ride is on the firm side but as thaifiesta said the fun factor will make up for this. Roll on the weekend !
I'm not exactly young at 51 but if i could buy an st3 i would , infact one further i'd buy the RS. My old saying ' go do things you could not due to what ever reason as a teenager even at older age but dont act as a boyracer .
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I bought an ST3 (new) last year and absolutely love it. So much fun and really good value for money IMHO. 2016 onwards (after they introduced the ST200) have improved ride quality (I believe this is due to a change in the dampers) and I find mine firm but comfortable even with lower springs. If you can afford the MP215 upgrade then you should seriously consider it too. General consensus among the ST owners is that it's great fun and always puts a smile on your face. If a soft ride and fuel economy are priorities then it's not the car for you, but if you want something fun that you can use every day then it's a great choice.

• Like 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dont buy new as they are about 20k new

FYI I bought my ST3 (frozen white with reverse sensors and spare wheel for under £16.5k).
  • Like 1

Test drive both on a mixture of roads THEN make up your mind.
The Fiesta ST corners like it's glued down and goes like a stabbed rat but can still take granny to church in comfort [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 hours ago, yunii said:

Blimey I thought I was the oldest member on here

Nope I beat that by a bit ,as I say to my grandkids I'm old enough to grunt and dribble if I want  they look at me as if I've gone daft  and that is another thing I can pretend to do,and I  still drive a 340 BHP Mk2 the fun with that never gets old.And I'm still looking at mods for it even today.

• Like 4

Nope I beat that by a bit ,as I say to my grandkids I'm old enough to grunt and dribble if I want  they look at me as if I've gone daft  and that is another thing I can pretend to do,and I  still drive a 340 BHP Mk2 the fun with that never gets old.And I'm still looking at mods for it even today.
+1
Yunii

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys , I feel a bit better now looking at an st at 50 yrs of age lol.

Always see a 66 plate blue st on the morning run to work and must say it looks smart.  Strangely enough I was looking at insurance comparisons today and a 16 plate st comes out the same as a 14 plate Astra Vxr ! About £280-300 fully comp.

sensible head on I,ll go for the st.

• Like 2

I'm 47 and love my Focus ST. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FYI I bought my ST3 (frozen white with reverse sensors and spare wheel for under £16.5k).
I loved th fiesta ST .but just not keen on boot space. So focus ST for me. Our mk7 tdci titanium is nippy for what it is. Quiete impressed.
Yunii

• Like 2

I loved th fiesta ST .but just not keen on boot space. So focus ST for me. Our mk7 tdci titanium is nippy for what it is. Quiete impressed.
Yunii

It does look tiny, but even with a sub in the boot I can fit a week's shopping in there!
  • Like 2

It does look tiny, but even with a sub in the boot I can fit a week's shopping in there!
When you own a mk2.5 then it is.
Yunii

When you own a mk2.5 then it is.
Yunii

Valid point! Mrs P still has the Mk2 Focus (Eve) and whenever I open the boot it looks immense!
  • Like 2

so did you go for the st3 pompeydave as you have not got back to us

btw im 54

• 4 weeks later...

Hi delboy , sorry for late reply , got a test drive today in a 16 plate st-2 and 1 hour later was the proud owner.

pick it up Tuesday evening , can't wait. Was £11995 7k miles in white.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club