Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My cars previous owner is keeping me busy. :(

Trillionz

Fitted my dash cam to find that the auxiliary socket was dead. I had a bag of fuses from my last car and it was indeed just a blown fuse.

But I am "Like I can not believe they did not just fix that!" it would have annoyed me to know it was there and not working:angry:

Then I discovered the delights of the dash top storage bin that would not open........because they had set about it with a glue gun:angry::angry:

It is now drying out on my conservatory floor after "I" attacked it with a hot air gun and a scrapper.

Dilemma now is do I spend £10 on another standard catch or invent something myself that I know will just work forever.:wink:

The previous owner just basically botched it then crap when that happens mate, hope it sorts out ok

Many people glue the storage compartment when the latch breaks. The upper part of the latch is an integral part of the storage compartment that can not be changed. Only the bottom part of the latch is available as a spare part from ford. Instead of paying an arm and a leg for a new storage compartment many people decide to close it permantly using glue or by removing the spring.

23 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The upper part of the latch is an integral part of the storage compartment that can not be changed. Only the bottom part of the latch is available as a spare part from ford. 

Thanks for that,I think that part is broken as well on mine so I have had a look on toolstaion and screwfix and the only kind of "push catch" they do is for lofts and at 80mm it is too big.

But I have found thousands of "touch latches" for cabinets on eBay starting at just 99p so will get one and give it a go. Will report back my findings.:wink:

It is a shame to take the spring off as it is damped as well so a similar catch would be ideal.

This is what I replaced my broken latch with (focus 2010)

The bottom part clips in, ignore the screw holes on the top part just glue it on.

A perfect fit

Latch on ebay

2-catch-latch-compatible-Brabantia-1-free-replacement-striker-pin-touch-bin-lid

• Like 2

That is very similar to the one I have ordered a "beetle cabinet latch" I did not think that the magnet type would work as the lid is sprung and would defeat the magnet.:wink:

I have been experimenting on the kitchen table with the storage box. I glued a magnet to the lid and placed a magnet in the hole where the catch had been.

It worked perfectly!:w00t:

BUT the 1" square magnet filling the catch hole I bought for a wind turbine project and it cost £5 so I will not be using that. Plus its is so large and powerful it could interfere and damage electrical equipment in the car.

The "beetle catch" I have ordered would appear now to be too big at 44mm wide(just seen this on another advert) so I was about to order the catch above when I see that it is only 8mm x 7mm so isn't that too small?

No it's a perfect fit for mine, no adjustment or glue was needed

It just slots straight in and clicks into place 

Just ordered one without a striker for £1.10 will engineer my own striker or maybe adapt existing. :wink: Cheers!

Well it works!:smile:

It is so tiny the catch that if you sneezed you would loose it!:smile:

It fell into the hole on my 2009 but it sits nicely in the old catch with its insides removed(plus glue and blu-tack). Had to drill a 3mm hole and square up its top for the new catch to secure itself in the old catch on one side though.:wink3:

Because I am so tight I only ordered half the catch and used an M4 screw in a 3mm hole that I drilled to mount it. It tapped the thread itself and I left it overnight with Araldite on as an extra measure.Sprayed it black by putting one of those pesky charity bags over it as they have punched holes in already that fit perfectly over an M4 screw.:devil2:

dzf2p0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 3:17 PM, Trillionz said:

Fitted my dash cam to find that the auxiliary socket was dead. I had a bag of fuses from my last car and it was indeed just a blown fuse.

How did you fit your dash cam? I brought a hard wire kit off eBay for about £7. wired it straight to the fuse box using one of those piggyback fuses (supplied in the kit). ran the wire up behind the pillar and under the roof lining. looks neat and tidy and you don't loose a auxiliary socket!

2 hours ago, Jordan99 said:

How did you fit your dash cam? I brought a hard wire kit off eBay for about £7. wired it straight to the fuse box using one of those piggyback fuses (supplied in the kit). ran the wire up behind the pillar and under the roof lining. looks neat and tidy and you don't loose a auxiliary socket!

The car I just sold had a piggy-back fuse and an extra auxiliary socket that I fitted but I couldn't be bothered to take it off for this car so I am just using the the standard auxiliary. I push it in when I set off and pull it out when I put the car in the garage. Sometimes I leave it running when I leave the car just in case something happens. Its no hardship.

Got another in the centre console. Got satnav and bluetooth phone all built in.

All the cable but for about 6" is hidden,it runs just under the rubber seal to the top NS corner of the windscreen. I couldn't get it up near the mirror because it is all dimpled and wouldn't grip.

152636077543 - eBay 

this is the one I brought (my dash cam is not nextbase) 

doing it this way frees up all your aux ports & you can choose weather to have it constantly recording or only when the car is on. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club