Do Not Sell My Personal Information

security

shocks

hello all

my ford edge is on the way. cant wait!!

this is my first car with keyless entry and was wondering if anyone has added extra security to their car to have some piece of mind when you leave it parked up!

are they easy enough to break into and bypass the ford security?

thanks

An easy security option is to hide or deactivate the obd port.
You can buy fake ports off eBay to defeat would-be thieves.
Other options are pedal locks or steering clamps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

[Not helpful]
You could always Mr. Bean it and take the steering wheel with you...
[/not helpful]

Fake obd ports are a great idea or I've seen some mini safes for them but they are expensive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Back to the days of hooks around your break and steering wheel is probably the easiest.

Clive, how do you deactivate your OBD port?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if you're looking for a really cheap way of temporarily disabling it then I wound find the supply wire, cut it and crimp or solder male and female bullet connectors on either side. Leave it disconnected when not in use and just connect it when needed.

A thief isn't going to hang and round trying to figure out your wiring while your alarm is going off...

Although there are things you can do. Don't get too paranoid about it. 

If I was a car thief with the right equipment I might fancy a keyless entry St or something, not so much an edge.

I've had 4 keyless entry/start cars over the recent few years (including an ST) and haven't given it a moments thought. 

But if it bothers you then a few extra precautions won't hurt. Just keep things in perspective.

• Like 2

thanks everyone for your replies.

maybe I am getting a bit paranoid about it, with it being my first car with keyless entry.

I've been watching too many youtube videos of car stealing obviously!!

I fancy investing in a pedal lock and a steering wheel lock of some sorts though maybe in time I will get confident in the cars security

• Like 1

I've decided, I want one of these

or even just the alarm will do

• Like 2

So, just a quick thought off the back of this video. How easy is it to change the siren? could you keep the OEM setup and change the siren, to one like the one heard at 01:50?

On 26/08/2017 at 10:55 PM, Stoney871 said:

An easy security option is to hide or deactivate the obd port.
You can buy fake ports off ebay to defeat would-be thieves.
Other options are pedal locks or steering clamps.

I've actually bought one of the fake ports off eBay but still to fit it yet. 

• Like 1

Hi

Had my car take the 1 year interim "Service/Check Over" my dealer came back saying had found start of leak from transfer box (on further questioning dealer, found out was actuallyrear diff badically). This being sorted next week on warrenty.
Service/Check Over did not cost me anything.

Dave

Hi

Had my car take the 1 year interim "Service/Check Over" my dealer came back saying had found start of leak from transfer box (on further questioning dealer, found out was actuallyrear diff badically). This being sorted next week on warrenty.
Service/Check Over did not cost me anything.

Dave

Great, but which bit of 'security' does this relate to? [emoji23][emoji12]

• Like 1

So just to check I've got this right, the OP wants more security on his first keyless entry car. The viper alarm system as per the video above provides this but it has to be disarmed by the viper fob ?  Great, but kind of defeats the purpose of being keyless if you have to press a button, or is it just me??

Edited by Edge of Reason
Spelling
  • Like 1

You're quite right, it does defeat the purpose. I think though, the person on the video is more concerned about security than he is about the car being keyless.

12 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

You're quite right, it does defeat the purpose. I think though, the person on the video is more concerned about security than he is about the car being keyless.

Yes I agree. For me, if they want my car that badly, they can have it. I don't want it back after they've thrashed it either. I'd rather it was burnt out than returned to me. 

• Like 2

I've got the autowatch ghost immobilizer fitted to my st,it's a great bit of kit for key less cars if you're looking for extra security.

if you're interested there's plenty of you tube videos showing you the basics of how it works.

• Like 4

Looks handy.
How much was the kit and did you fit it yourself?

i paid £320 for mine fitted,it's probably not one of the cheapest options,but i was looking for an extra layer of security and the ghost seemed to tick all the boxes.

not sure but i think it's installation only by one of their approved fitters,i got mine fitted by chris at veil tuning in Northampton took about 45 mins.

• Like 1

I use to have a Renaultsport Megane that was keyless entry, I never worried unduly about it. Although I did fit the car with a tracker.

One of, if not the best security gadgets you can get is a full steering wheel lock like the one from Disklok. In tests they were always the most difficult to bypass, although they are cumbersome. I've had one for years and still use it every now and then depending where I have to park the car

disklokimages10.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tootles said:

I've got the autowatch ghost immobilizer fitted to my st,it's a great bit of kit for key less cars if you're looking for extra security.

if you're interested there's plenty of you tube videos showing you the basics of how it works.

I've just had a quick look on youtube and it looks like an ideal solution to at least keep your car from disappearing. thanks

• Like 1

I've just had a quick look on youtube and it looks like an ideal solution to at least keep your car from disappearing. thanks

No pun intended [emoji16]

Looks like a really smart system @tootles thanks for sharing. Their GPS tracker looks good too.

Your profile pic has taken on a different picture @Stoney871 , odd....

789a9d0192f9a1e617acb3934478c732.png

• Like 2

A momentary glitch I think.
All displaying properly now.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2017 at 8:25 AM, Jonro2009 said:

Great, but which bit of 'security' does this relate to? emoji23.pngemoji12.png

Ooops just realised posted this in wrong section.

On subject of security though, my alarm has gone off twice now for no apparent reason. This has been added to my faults diary that is on going.

Dave

• Like 1

Ooops just realised posted this in wrong section.
On subject of security though, my alarm has gone off twice now for no apparent reason. This has been added to my faults diary that is on going.
Dave

No worries.

I've heard a few stories of this happening throughout the range of Fords and other manufacturers. Ford can plug it in to their diagnostics and each time the alarm has sounded it should have left a code as to what triggered it, you can find out yourself if you have Forscan. The alarm has been known to get triggered by something as simple as a fly or spider inside the car that sets off the interior sensors.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club