Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres for stock alloy

axesuso

Hi to all!

I have searched quite a bit but still nothing clear for me. First of all, i have never changed the tyres since i bought the car (2014), only one in front because it bursted. Anyways, i think its time to change all 4, already done 65.000KM!! and i feel the car very shaky after 120km/h and also while turning around. Right now, they are stock alloy and tyres; 

Continental contact sport 5, 205/40 R17 84V XL 

My question is, can i mount any different tyre? i mean, any R17 tyre? or its better to maintain the same profile, etc... and which one is recommended? by now, i have been offered michelin pilot sport 3, but i find it too expensive.

Thanks!

Any make of tyre of the same size will do price wise to suit your budget.

I have three options available:

- Hankook (k112 or k115)

- Pirelli pzero nero

- michelin pilot sport 3

looks like Hankook is quite good for price/quality. 

I have Uniroyal Rainsport 3's fitted. Great tyre, mean looking too. £70 a corner is quite a fair price considering that's fitted and balanced too. But yes you have to stick with 205/40/r17's

I have the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's fitted too.   They are brilliant in heavy rain; stick to the road like your on rails.

You need to stick with 205/40 R17.

Unless you change all 4, the width (205) will need to remain the same. Similarly the profile (40); also any variation of the profile would affect your speedometer recording unless you change the size of the wheels at the same time (in other words maintain a similar circumference to your present speedometer set up). The wheel size (R17) would have to be the same unless you change all 4 wheels as well as the tyres. You will also need to consider the speed rating of the tyre - your present tyres have a speed rating V (240kmh)

Most tyres are pretty good, but depending where you live, you may need to consider best tyres in wet weather. You may need to think about winter tyres if the weather where you live is very harsh in winter, so you can switch between the two types during seasons. In 'normal' weather the all weather tyres will suffice and the three you quote would be adequate

Thanks everyone for your replies! I forgot to mention that i live in paradise! Lol, i mean there is no winter here! It hardly rains, and mostly always sunny and good weather.

2 hours ago, CyprusPluto said:

You need to stick with 205/40 R17.

Unless you change all 4, the width (205) will need to remain the same. Similarly the profile (40); also any variation of the profile would affect your speedometer recording unless you change the size of the wheels at the same time (in other words maintain a similar circumference to your present speedometer set up). The wheel size (R17) would have to be the same unless you change all 4 wheels as well as the tyres. 

I will be changing the 4 tyres, that means can i change the width and the profile? And if i can, which is recommended for my car?

thanks to everyone again!

7 hours ago, axesuso said:

Thanks everyone for your replies! I forgot to mention that i live in paradise! Lol, i mean there is no winter here! It hardly rains, and mostly always sunny and good weather.

I will be changing the 4 tyres, that means can i change the width and the profile? And if i can, which is recommended for my car?

thanks to everyone again!

Remember if you start playing with widths and profiles you will change the handling of the car.

Depending on your wheel width, you can usually vary by about 10 each way, So for your 205's; a range of about 195-215 should fit. As an example, a wider tyre may offer more grip, but on the same wheel may mean more sidewall movement and so overall not only is the handling compromised, but the advantages of the wider tyre may be negated

The profile is as I said before; the total circumference of the wheel and tyre together is important. If you use 16" wheels, your tyre profile would need to be 50. An 18" wheel would require a profile of 30. In each case the speedo would be about 1% inaccurate and may need recalibrating; although inaccuracies of this amount in speedometers are common. Maintaining the same wheel and just changing the profile would change the speedo accuracy - each 5 point change in profile (a 35 or 45 profile instead of your 40) would mean a 2% inaccuracy in your speedo.

As for which tyre. That would depend on personal preferences, your driving style, your car etc. Do you want the quietest tyre? Do you want most grip/fastest wear (soft compound) or the opposite (hard compound)? Just like ultra soft, super-soft, soft, medium etc in formula 1. Wet weather performance is obviously not important in your case. Have a read of some reviews, but unless you drive your car like The Stig, it's unlikely you reach the limits of any tyre you buy anyway

To sum up @CyprusPluto, you have to know what you're doing to change the tyre size. See if you can find some tyre comparison sights then to get the best price. In the UK Blackcircles is quite popular.

Thanks @CyprusPluto for your great explanation. I think ill go for the michelin ones, i have spoke to few friends of mine and also recommend me this one. And the difference pricewise is very little. 

My driving is normal, mainly city, and very little highway. Some times i do the toreto lmao, but normal, relaxed driving. 

Thanks to everyone for your help! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club