Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 CarPlay has died

stevekdavis

Has anyone else had this. Sync 3 system no longer detects any apple device via either USB (I don't have Android to test). 

Has all been working fine but when connecting an iPhone now a message briefly appears stating (cannot connect apple device via USB at this time). Carplay doesn't kick in.

There is no CarPlay icon in the Sync 3 settings any more either, it used to be next to the Android auto icon.

I've reset the phone and done a master reset on the Sync 3 with no luck. bluetooth still works as does charging via usb.

Booked in to be looked at next week but was wondering if anyone's seen this before?

Steve

1 hour ago, stevekdavis said:

Has anyone else had this. Sync 3 system no longer detects any apple device via either USB (I don't have Android to test). 

Has all been working fine but when connecting an iphone now a message briefly appears stating (cannot connect apple device via USB at this time). Carplay doesn't kick in.

There is no CarPlay icon in the Sync 3 settings any more either, it used to be next to the Android auto icon.

I've reset the phone and done a master reset on the Sync 3 with no luck. Bluetooth still works as does charging via usb.

Booked in to be looked at next week but was wondering if anyone's seen this before?

Steve

Only time I've seen this is when the lightning socket connector on the phone was full of cr4p! Mine wouldn't charge the phone either, so if yours is still charging, it is probably something else. If it's not showing the settings option, then maybe it can't detect the USB hub (wiring/faulty?) and determine its capabilities! Just a thought.

If you got to the info page on Sync, what version does it show?

Is it the same cable you have always used?

Some cables (usually cheap ones) do not carry data well as they are primarily designed for charging.

• Like 1

Can you try a different apple device? However if you don't have the icon anymore then it may need a dealer to take a look. Is it under warrant?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried different lightning cables, including a genuine apple one, also tried a different phone. Same issue. 

Sync 3 version is 2.0 apparently.

yes, car still under warranty, only purchased in May this year. 

Same on mine. Not too bothered because I didn't like it much anyway- prefer the car nav system. Can still get Spotify though- but the screen of apps has gone 

Just a thought, had there been an IOS update on your phone around the same time?

I used to religiously plug in my phone to use Apple CarPlay, purely so I could respond to text messages via voice command. Unfortunately this meant that the car navigation system stopped working in favour of Apple's navigation, which is pretty pants really. 

It turns out you can use Siri on your iPhone without being connected to CarPlay, so I can see no real benefit in connecting it up now. It was a bit of a faff anyway, so I turned CarPlay off and only connect by cable to charge now. 

• 4 months later...

Just an update to this which first went wrong in August last year. local ford dealer had the car on diagnostics and said it was a known fault and needs a new Sync 3 update, which was not available. They couldn't tell me when so put me onto Ford UK Customer relations team who I've been hounding every few weeks. 

Finally, after almost 6 months, they emailed me last week that the update has finally been released. Booked in and had the update applied yesterday (took over 6 hours to update!) and guess what?! Still not working :-( - It's now v2.3 (was v2.0)

I still cannot connect an iPhone via USB. Sync 3 refuses to see it so as well as not being able to use Apple CarPlay, I also cannot use any of the AppLink apps. (same with multiple iphones and cables)

This is especially annoying as Waze have finally announced AppLink support from March this year and I use Waze all the time.

Also annoying is I cannot charge my phone via USB either as the port just 'pulses' any power connection. I had to buy and fit a USB security filter (designed to strip out the signalling side of USB and make it power only, eg for connecting stuff to laptops) to be able to charge my phone.

Randomly it does sometimes work if I reset the phone and the sync 3 but this is maybe 20% of the time and then will only work for maybe a day before failing again.

I know it's a minor annoyance but it's functionality I wanted (unlike many, I do like CarPlay), it was part of my decision making when choosing the car (had a cheaper, sync 2 version available when I was buying) so I don't think it's unreasonable to want it to work when I paid £42k for the car. I've now gone back to Ford customer relations to see what they say but am not holding my breath.

I can see from looking around the Internet and speaking to someone at a Ford dealer that Sync 3 USB  is a big issue for Ford UK across their range, including the Mustang and the brand new Fiesta (apparently his general manager has the same issue in his mustang)

So word of warning, if the Sync 3 functionality of CarPlay or AppLink is key to you, think very carefully before buying a Ford.

its an apple issue unfortunatly in ios 11.2.5  and apple  need to bring out another update to fix this issue. 

The 11.2.5 ios issue is *another* sync 3 problem, admittedly more widely known. I've had this one since the last ios 10 released version through all the iterations of ios 11 through to ios 11.3.0 beta (which is supposed to fix the known issue with 11.2.5)

Also across 4 phones and multiple cables.

Strangely carplay sprung in to life during a journey over the weekend and asked for permission to run on both sync and the phone while i was driving. It ran fine for the remainder of the journey..and then failed when I next started the car. I get a random Carplay connection maybe once a month but nothing for the remainder of the time.

The big issue seems to be Fords software development lifecycle seems to be upwards of 6 months whereas apple is around a month for a new version (inc minor releases)  so it seems likely they're never going to be good partners with that disparity.

• 8 months later...

Well some good news finally. After 1 year 1 month and some days this has finally been fixed by Ford. Took a total of 8 visits to the dealers, lots of complaining to Ford customer care and having to convince them their diagnostic computer is wrong. (it didn't need a software update to fix it - Sync 2.2, it's not a problem in iOS, a later finding)

It took a while but I did eventually eliminate the "apple" component entirely with this issue as I saw it wasn't reading USB keys with MP3 either. It point blank refused to see any USB connection.

After upgrading Sync 3 to v3, trying ios 10,11 & 12 - 6 different models of iPhone, 4,8,16GB USB keys and an android phone and presenting them with my findings I said to them it's hardware, not software. The kicker was that randomly, in the middle of a journey, a USB connection would suddenly spring in to life.

With Ford technicians on the phone they could reproduce the issue a few weeks back (not sure they ever tried that hard to reproduce it in the past, did did a sync reset and hoped for the best!) Firstly they replaced the USB hub (my suspicion) and that didn't fix it. The only thing left was the Sync 3 module itself. Ford approve a replacement order which was fitted yesterday.

And it worked. CarPlay is back, AppSync Apps are back and I finally get to use Waze in CarPlay.