Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noisy rear wheel bearing adjustment?

DaveinFrance

Hi all,

I have a Mk7 Fiesta 1.25 with only 40,000 kms (25,000 miles). The right rear wheel bearing has become noisy.

I haven't had a look at it yet but can anyone tell me...

1. Can the bearing be adjusted?

2. If the only solution is to replace the bearing...does it require pressing out and new one pressing in? Any special tools required?

Thanks, Dave.

By the way...its drum brakes on the rear.

cannot be adjusted,  ,new bearing required and will need pressing out and in.

5 hours ago, DaveinFrance said:

Hi all,

I have a Mk7 Fiesta 1.25 with only 40,000 kms (25,000 miles). The right rear wheel bearing has become noisy.

I think I have the same on the OSR of my Fiesta. Same mileage as yours, 2012 model. I only get the noise some of the time, and it gets louder when I go round left hand corners. It doesn't sound like the normal rumble of a bad wheel bearing but I've had the drum off and even swapped over the rear drums but the noise persists on the same side.

You don't need to press out a bearing. Ford have made it easy. You just need a new hub kit. I was looking at a Comline one at just over £50GBP from an online motor factor. You need to make sure that it has the hole for the ABS sensor to fit - not sure in your location if the Mk7 was ever available without ABS?

It looks like you don't even need to remove the brake shoes to swap the hub out - but that is only my opinion from looking at it - it might not be like that in practise!

Car bearings are generally sealed, the grease inside should last the life of the bearing, there's no topping it up.

I think I have the same on the OSR of my Fiesta. Same mileage as yours, 2012 model. I only get the noise some of the time, and it gets louder when I go round left hand corners. It doesn't sound like the normal rumble of a bad wheel bearing but I've had the drum off and even swapped over the rear drums but the noise persists on the same side.

You don't need to press out a bearing. Ford have made it easy. You just need a new hub kit. I was looking at a Comline one at just over £50GBP from an online motor factor. You need to make sure that it has the hole for the ABS sensor to fit - not sure in your location if the Mk7 was ever available without ABS?

It looks like you don't even need to remove the brake shoes to swap the hub out - but that is only my opinion from looking at it - it might not be like that in practise!

my bad, i didnt look at ops version as mk7. the later 2008 onwards fiesta is different to the 2002-2008 firsta. the later bearing assy only comes as a hub assy. earlier is bearing replacement with pressing out and in

• Like 1

Thanks for the information/advice, I've found the hub kit now for around £50. I've just ordered one and hope to get it fitted shortly.

1. Anyone know the torque setting for the 4 mounting bolts?

2. Anyone know where I can download the workshop manual for a Mk7 Fiesta?

Thanks, Dave.

12 hours ago, DaveinFrance said:

Thanks for the information/advice, I've found the hub kit now for around £50. I've just ordered one and hope to get it fitted shortly.

1. Anyone know the torque setting for the 4 mounting bolts?

From the Haynes manual:

Rear hub bearing assembly to trailing arm:

Stage 1 - 65Nm

Stage 2 - Slacken by 90°

Stage 3 - 65Nm

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Anyone know where I can download the workshop manual for a Mk7 Fiesta?

Thanks, Dave.

On 31/08/2017 at 10:12 PM, DaveinFrance said:

Anyone know where I can download the workshop manual for a Mk7 Fiesta?

Thanks, Dave.

I believe etis has them. That's what ford dealers use anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

My new wheel bearing arrived this morning...I'm in France and ordered it from eBay Germany, 30 euro plus 10 euro postage.

Can't believe how quick and easy it was to fit, took about 15 minutes!

No real special tools needed -

• Thread lock liquid
  • 13mm socket on an extension
  • Torque wrench
  • T40 Torx key for the two screws that secure the brake drum.

I torqued the bolts to 65Nm as per instructions by muinatiT, see his earlier message.

Many thanks to everyone.

All the best, Dave.

hub.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/13/2017 at 4:20 PM, DaveinFrance said:

Can't believe how quick and easy it was to fit, took about 15 minutes!

Great. Thanks for update. I'm glad to hear that it all went okay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, muinatiT said:

Great. Thanks for update. I'm glad to hear that it all went okay.

Thanks Trevor, for giving me the torque settings, big help. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club