Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car insurance renewal

lloydyyy

Looking for some advice. My car insurance is due for renewal in a few days. The cheapest quotes are:

Hastings Direct
£378 total premium - £55 cashback = £323 after cashback

Adrian Flux
£300 total premium - Markerstudy

Direct Line
£367 total premium (renewal)

All companies have offered a courtesy car, PNCB, legal cover and for the same estimated mileage.

What are your thoughts?

Ive had to make a claim this year because of some twit on a roundabout and the experience was easy with Direct line.   So IMO Id go with Direct Line.

• Like 1

Just now, Gaskell71 said:

Ive had to make a claim this year because of some twit on a roundabout and the experience was easy with Direct line.   So IMO Id go with Direct Line.

The policy before last they brought the renewal price down after haggling over the phone because Hastings were cheaper. I'll ring Direct Line later and see if they can match Hastings.

The policy before last they brought the renewal price down after haggling over the phone because Hastings were cheaper. I'll ring Direct Line later and see if they can match Hastings.

Why?

Just switch to someone cheaper.  Insurance companies need to learn that people will leave them if their insurance is too high.  Especially on a renewal. 

They don't reward loyalty these days so why be loyal to them

The only way they are ever going to change is if people vote with their feet. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Carl123 said:

Why?

Just switch to someone cheaper.  Insurance companies need to learn that people will leave them if their insurance is too high.  Especially on a renewal. 

They don't reward loyalty these days so why be loyal to them

The only way they are ever going to change is if people vote with their feet. 

Thanks for the reply. Markerstudy via Flux were the cheapest last year but a couple of the Ford Owners Club members warned me off.

Hastings has a compulsory excess of £95 and a voluntary excess of £50, Direct Line has a voluntary excess of £150 and Markerstudy has an excess of £250. Flux asked Markerstudy if they could lower the excess but they wouldn't because I'm younger than 30.

Go with Hastings.

I was with them a few years back and they were as good as gold with me even after some nubbin smashed a bike into my car while it was parked.

Courtesy car was delivered within 12 hours and car was picked up at the same time.

• Like 2

Just spoke to Direct Line. The best price they can offer is £332.64, down from £367.36.

I can't comment on Hastings nor Adrian Flux as I've never used them. But have used Direct Line many times and always found them very good. They are also by far the cheapest for me. I only stopped using them years ago, because they wouldn't cover vehicles on Shetland (they had no approved repairers on the island and so had to ship cars to Aberdeen for repair and that was obviously too expensive)

The key to any insurer is what are they like when you need them. A lot are problematic or use repairers that you wouldn't want to use even if they were free, but my experience of Direct Line when someone ran into the back of me was excellent (helped by the fact that the other driver was also a Direct Line customer)

Saga also offer me a reasonable quote, but you have to be ........ well, you know! :smile:

Just rang Direct Line. They've dropped my estimated mileage to 12k from 13k because I calculated it at 11,700 per year, and the premium came down to £324.80. For the sake of £5.81 I might as well stay. Saves the hassle of switching and waiting for cashback to track with Hastings. The excess is £25 more with Direct Line but I don't think it's worth the hassle over.

Hi,

I'm sorry we couldn't help out with your insurance but I'm glad you managed to get it sorted satisfactorily.

Regards,

Dan.

Wish my insurance was that price! The lowest I got offered (3rd year of driving and no claims) £1.1k. I'm hoping this will go down next year by a hell of a lot though!

39 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

I'm sorry we couldn't help out with your insurance but I'm glad you managed to get it sorted satisfactorily.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan. I appreciate you getting in touch. The price offered by Adrian Flux was very competitive and the cheapest, but for £25 more I was offered better cover by a much more reputable underwriter. I intend to try Adrian Flux next year to see what prices are offered and by which underwriters.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club