Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Using mobile as sat nav

yunii

As long as you don't actually touch it while driving, you should be able use it as a sat nav.

I.e. set the destination before setting off, or pullover and stop if you need to change it.

No different to using a proper sat nav. You can be done for driving without due care and attention if trying to touch it while driving.

• Like 1

Yea I usually set my destination(s) before setting off although in the case of needing to change route during the journey I just do it on the go, without pulling over. No Biggie as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I set and forget. Luckily has a feature that turns off all messages etc while driving. But I can see the temptation of trying to read a message

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i used my phone to go and come back from my holiday to Cornwall as iv got a vent holder, if i had a call my missus answered it and put on loud speaker, i see no problem in using the phone as a sat nav as long as its not handled by the driver during driving 

• Like 2

Uh oh. The Lack of Common Sense Patrol are on the march again.

Obviously don't use your phone like a phone. That's stupid and dangerous. But also don't use a phone like a satnav. That's dangerous too.

Use a much safer method of using an actual satnav, which has all the same requirements of input and attention that the satnav on your phone has and can potentially demand of you if you are an imbecile.

Problem sorted by Black and White Britain.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

With what the cars having inbuilt touch screen satnavs these days, I dont get the difference. The only difference I can see is that the police may potentially see you using a phone than the lower in car sat nav screens while driving... Both distract you, both should be banned. Why one rule for one and another rule for another? For example, you're not fined for using sat navs if its ONLY a sat nav... but using a mobile as one is a different story!!

Not to mention the current trend within car manufacturers now, all going more and more towards putting every control like air con etc via the touchscreen. Surely thats more dangerous, with real knobs you can keep your eyes on the road and feel for the knobs. Touch screen makes you take your eyes off the road. In 2019 a new Mercedes-Benz EQ is released, everything from opening doors to air con to cruise control will be all touch screen controlled, yet its NOT an autonomous vehicle, so you're taking your eyes OFF the road.

I always plan my routes the old way, maps before driving and then trying by memory, if I get lost so be it, just park up somewhere and look again to set you back on track. At least I have the option of knowing exactly where I am thanks to mobiles when looking up while I've lost my way, you all think it cant be done? We used to get along fine with paper road maps, even when lost without a mobile showing your current position!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club