Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led headlight bulbs

Tealc2961

I'm going to let@stoney871 handle this one =)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Factory-fit xenon HID and LED lamps are legal not because they meet UK regulations (they don't), but because the car has been approved under European Whole Vehicle Type Approval with the lamps fitted, and the UK recognises this approval.

Therefore, unless the conversion uses all (and only) the factory parts (including the automatic levelling using sensors on the suspension), it does not meet the Type Approval, so is not legal in the UK.

• Like 2

Thanks Clive. You may go back to your doughnut now ;)

• Like 4

Thanks Clive. You may go back to your doughnut now ;)

Prefer croissants actually [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Prefer croissants actually emoji39.png

Oh well excusez moi Monsieur! 

Philips do some halogen bulbs called xtreme vision which says gives up to (from what I remember) 150% more light however the light colour is a little more yellow. There's also another pair called white vision which gives a nice xenon white light (4300k) however 60% more light. The problem with halogen bulbs are that the more you increase the kelvin the less light output. There are two other types of bulbs philips sell one gives I think 5000k and the other 6000k however there are not road legal and can justify that as people who used these did complain about the little light output. 

I use Osram night breaker laser on mine and then had them properly aligned huge improvement over standard and can see easily at night and has excellent cut off pattern

Oh well excusez moi Monsieur! 
Vous êtes pardonné bien sur

• Like 1

Vous êtes pardonné bien sur

Pardon my french lol!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pardon my french lol!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bien sur. [emoji41]

Je ne comprends pas. Je ne pas parlais un mots de français...

12 hours ago, zain611 said:

Philips do some halogen bulbs called xtreme vision which says gives up to (from what I remember) 150% more light however the light colour is a little more yellow. There's also another pair called white vision which gives a nice xenon white light (4300k) however 60% more light. The problem with halogen bulbs are that the more you increase the kelvin the less light output. There are two other types of bulbs philips sell one gives I think 5000k and the other 6000k however there are not road legal and can justify that as people who used these did complain about the little light output. 

I have the white visions in mine, in fact my profile pic shows then at night. They are much whiter than stock (compare them to my fogs lol) but nowhere near as white as led.

When driving at night they light they give off is nicely white but casts better than 5000k bulbs I had in my mk2 mondeo (bought like that and didn't pass an mot!)

I am tempted to try something a little whiter to match in with the DRLs but I'm not willing to cause myself problems at mot.

Top tip! I got my sets of white visions for less than £8 each from amazon. Look for 'damaged packaging' items sold by amazon. This only refers to the cardboard box that the plastic box with the bulbs in comes in! Both the h1s and the h7s for my mk3 came with a set of 501 sidelights. All for less than 16 quid. Best part is that the item is still guaranteed so if it arrives broken, you get a free replacement!

• Like 1

Je ne comprends pas. Je ne pas parlais un mots de français...
Vous devez le faire si vous avez compris ce que j'ai posté

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Vous devez le faire si vous avez compris ce que j'ai posté

Zut! Il semble que j'ai été découvert! 

J'aurais réussi si ce n'était pas pour ces enfants ennuyeux!

De toute façon, nous évitons le sujet.

En Anglais, s'il vous plâit!

The Phillips Xtreme are actually pretty good. Think I have had them in for a year now with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to add in on this conversation as I am someone very keen to upgrade their headlights. I got in contact with Autobeam about their LED headlights and have to say I was quite concerned about the response; as I know full well that you do need to notify insurance and fairly sure it is not quite legal. Anyone able to shed some light before I go and make a purchase? 

Thanks

EDAAC6BD-57D8-4A35-9AEA-F16530B4FBC2.jpeg

I've just fitted a pair of Philips RACING VISION bulbs, made a massive difference light up the whole road.

Highly recommended.(up to 150% extra brightness - stated)

That's a little concerning to read @Iwatson99

I'm almost positive that LED aftermarket kits are not road legal, I've never seen one that has type approved bulbs. I've also not seen any website that sells them as 'road legal', I have looked at many sets and sites and each one says 'sold for off road use'. If you are still in communication then ask if their bulbs are type approved, do they carry the 'E' mark. Ask them in very specific words 'are these lights sold as Road Legal' don't let them be ambiguous with their answer. Saying they are not aware of any issues is not a locked down answer. If they sell them as road legal then they are being much more clear about things. I'm going to guess that they won't confirm using answers that are not subjective. Very recently @Stoney871 made a very clear post which leaves nothing in doubt, kits are not legal.
You absolutely should tell your insurance company about upgrades to the vehicle, you're king quite a substantial change from Halogen filament bulbs.

17 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

That's a little concerning to read @Iwatson99

I'm almost positive that LED aftermarket kits are not road legal, I've never seen one that has type approved bulbs. I've also not seen any website that sells them as 'road legal', I have looked at many sets and sites and each one says 'sold for off road use'. If you are still in communication then ask if their bulbs are type approved, do they carry the 'E' mark. Ask them in very specific words 'are these lights sold as Road Legal' don't let them be ambiguous with their answer. Saying they are not aware of any issues is not a locked down answer. If they sell them as road legal then they are being much more clear about things. I'm going to guess that they won't confirm using answers that are not subjective. Very recently @Stoney871 made a very clear post which leaves nothing in doubt, kits are not legal.
You absolutely should tell your insurance company about upgrades to the vehicle, you're king quite a substantial change from Halogen filament bulbs.

Thanks, I posted it as I was concerned,

on their website it does state that they are road legal but I will get onto the E Mark etc as I have seen auto beam advertised a lot on this site and worried about the the risk it has.

Apparently the owner is a member on here. It's easy to get 10% off if you do go ahead.

To be completely honest I've heard there products are good quality, however no HID\LED bulb is type approved, it is the components that it goes into that are approved and there is some sort of agreement that that is enough for them to pass through and be used. That is what Clive's post was saying as far as I remember, and he ought to know. I'll see if I can find it to get a quote from it. Personally I would work on the premise that they are not road legal and it is a chance you take, being pulled over is pretty low risk though so they may be telling the truth when they say they haven't heard of it happening. I've had several HID kits in previous cars in the knowledge that they aren't strictly legal, it's a chance I was willing to take.

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Apparently the owner is a member on here. It's easy to get 10% off if you do go ahead.

To be completely honest I've heard there products are good quality, however no HID\LED bulb is type approved, it is the components that it goes into that are approved and there is some sort of agreement that that is enough for them to pass through and be used. That is what Clive's post was saying as far as I remember, and he ought to know. I'll see if I can find it to get a quote from it. Personally I would work on the premise that they are not road legal and it is a chance you take, being pulled over is pretty low risk though so they may be telling the truth when they say they haven't heard of it happening. I've had several HID kits in previous cars in the knowledge that they aren't strictly legal, it's a chance I was willing to take.

I’m in contact with them at the moment as they believe they have some paperwork which prevents the police being able to take action on it.

i am going to receive a copy of this and show it to a friend of mine who is a traffic cop and just get a second opinion. I will let you all know what I find out as I’m sure others would find it very interesting. :) 

• Like 1

I would love to hear what this piece of paper says and who it is written by. It would have to be a really weighty bit of documentation and not just a scribble from the shop. I found the post I was thinking about and it has this to say.......

"Factory-fit xenon HID and LED lamps are legal not because they meet UK regulations (they don't), but because the car has been approved under European Whole Vehicle Type Approval with the lamps fitted, and the UK recognises this approval. Therefore, unless the conversion uses all (and only) the factory parts (including the automatic levelling using sensors on the suspension), it does not meet the Type Approval, so is not legal in the UK."

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club