Get Your Club gear
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

ScaniaPBman

Would my Focus pass the MOT with the back seat down?

This is one for a MOT tester really..........

My Focus hatchback is used frequently to carry things with the back seat folded down.

For my MOT today I cleared everything out, put the seat up and buckled up the belts in preparation.

Now if I had left the seat down, or even left all my stuff in, would it have failed because the tester could not access the belts?

IT's a bit of an academic question now really since it passed OK, but next time I could save myself some time clearing out and then putting all the stuff back.

Thanks in advance,

ScaniaPBman.

Hi Mike, I had a Mondeo estate 3 yrs ago which I used for my work and it passed at least 2 MOTs with the rear seats down and stock in the back. I haven't got the old certs but from memory they just mark 'Not Available' or some such. I can't imagine that the law has changed...

it would be pass and advise in your case if there was difficulty in fixing seat back in the upright locked position due to large or fragile items in the way.

" this is not mandatory where it would be unreasonable, such as due to the presence of heavy, fragile or numerous passenger effects or other articles"
that applies to rear seats and belts.

Surprisingly, if there is a child seat fitted on a rear seatbelt, they don't check that belt. I can see why, but just find it odd that the most important belt in the car is not checked for safety.