Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrapping/Grinding noise when driving

Dave_TDCI

Hi all,

Have an issue with my father in law's diesel mk2 Focus. When driving the car makes this horrible scrapping/ grinding noise which seems to be coming from around the Left Hand front wheel area or low down to the front of the engine bay, hard to distinguish which. The car only makes this noise when cold. Once the engine is warmed up strangely enough it gradually disappears. It only happens when driving and starts to develop above 1500rpm. I do not believe it to be the dual mass flywheel as I know what these sound like and also this does not occur when idle, nor is there any vibration through the clutch pedal.

The noise itself is kind of hard to describe, it sounds like a shovel being moved along gravel or something to that effect.

The car started to make this noise occasionally about 2 months ago but it is becoming consistently louder and more pronounced. I have trouble getting a garage to diagnose it as by the time I get it into them the engine is warmed up and the noise is gone.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm at a loss as to what is the cause.

Only thing I can suggest is parking the car up near a garage the night before so that you can get the car to them cold and they can witness the noise...

I left the car with a garage to try identify the noise and they have suggested they believe it is the clutch or flywheel. A bit surprised with this as I would have thought if it was the flywheel it would be felt through the clutch pedal and more noticeable at idle than driving?

I'd also be surprised if it's the DMF considering what you've described.  I'd suggest taking it for a 2nd opinion (it can't hurt) but don't tell them someone has already suggested DMF otherwise they might just quote for the work i.e. best part of a grand! :wallbash:

3 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

I'd also be surprised if it's the DMF considering what you've described.  I'd suggest taking it for a 2nd opinion (it can't hurt) but don't tell them someone has already suggested DMF otherwise they might just quote for the work i.e. best part of a grand! :wallbash:

Glad to hear someone agreeing with my skepticism, cheers Damian. Yeah agreed, think I will have to get a second opinion.

I was looking up videos on youtube to see if I could find one similar to the sound I'm hearing. The one I came across below sounds almost identical to the noise I'm describing from 8seconds on (that rusty metal sound). The only difference is mine doesn't really seem to do it on idle and is a bit louder.

Oh all Vauxhalls sound like that [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Oh all Vauxhalls sound like that emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

LOL, that's if they start at all :whip:

Joking aside I can't help with what that sound could be but it certainly doesn't sound healthy.  It should like metal rubbing on metal and shouldn't ever happen inside an engine (that's what oil and clearances are for).

3 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

LOL, that's if they start at all :whip:

Joking aside I can't help with what that sound could be but it certainly doesn't sound healthy.  It should like metal rubbing on metal and shouldn't ever happen inside an engine (that's what oil and clearances are for).

Haha fact, Fiat engine in those Insignias sure :smile:

Yeah I'm at a loss also. Seriously doubting it's the DMF, possibly clutch related although there is no slippage or issues getting into gear.

Other than that I would expect some sort of a belt but really does sound like metal on metal. Sounds absolutely horrible the first few minutes and then completely goes away.

Hopefully some of the gurus on here will be able to help you get to the bottom of it!

• 6 years later...

Hi,

I’ve got a very similar problem as to what you described, with the only difference being that I have an automatic. Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of what the problem was. Cheers

After more than 6 years, I'd like to think the problem was fixed.

@Dave_TDCI last visited the forum 27th June 2018 so don't expect an answer anytime soon 🤣

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club