Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6.5 window regulator

lloydyyy

The window regulator on my 3-door Mk6.5 is knackered - seems to be chewing its own cable. The electric window does wind down but it struggles. Is it worth replacing just the regulator or would the motor need replacing as well? I couldn't find a guide on here but would be very grateful if anyone has any knowledge to share, and possibly a list of tools I'll need.

I made a tutorial on here on converting manual windows to electric and it will show you how to strip your door down to get to the regulator, so I'm sure it'll help...... http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43131-guide-mk665-manual-to-electric-window-conversion/

• Like 1

That's great, thank you. Hopefully I have the correct Torx sizes! I don't fancy buying another set...

I bought a window regulator for my mk6. 5 fiesta as the driver side sounds like it's on it's way out. Have to see when that will be done and give feedback about changing it

• 1 month later...

Bit of a nightmare situation...

On the drive home from work yesterday, my friend tried to wind down the passenger window and forgot it was faulty. The window got stuck halfway down, so we just left it. Then it slowly slid down and then dropped completely into the door before we could catch it. So last night I decided to take the outer door card off to access the window. I dropped a few fasteners but I'm fairly certain I retrieved them all. In the red box in the picture below, I couldn't find a fastener for - I'm not sure if there was one in the first place. Any ideas?

20171010_102016.jpg

You will need to remove the black panel as your window regulator is attached to the other side of it, did you manage to get your window out from inside the door?

I forgot to mention that it started to rain and get dark when I was working on the door, so had to stop. I haven't taken the inner door card off - didn't have time. The window is back up but keeps sliding down, so I've had to cellotape it in position lol. The job of changing the regulator (and possibly the motor) seems tedious, so I was thinking of booking the car in for the work to be done. I struggled to get the outer door card to fasten back in place last night; as I pushed one side into position the other would pop back out.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it'll be too difficult to fix myself, come to think of it. GMF can order a new regulator in for £72 and Day's can order one in for £124. The motor seems fine, just the regulator that's knackered. Is it worth getting a genuine new Ford part or would one form GMF be fine with the existing motor?

You will get a used genuine oem part from eBay delivered for £20-£25 which probably includes a motor

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fiesta1.25 said:

You will get a used genuine oem part from Ebay delivered for £20-£25 which probably includes a motor

I was contemplating a used part but I'm a bit hesitant as apparently Mk6 Fiestas are renowned for the window regulators failing (chewed cables). I thought maybe a used part would be more prone to failing.

I bought a regulater for about £60 from eBay. Still need to get it fitted so can't really say anything about it at the moment. 

_20171025_135219.JPG

I was contemplating a used part but I'm a bit hesitant as apparently Mk6 Fiestas are renowned for the window regulators failing (chewed cables). I thought maybe a used part would be more prone to failing.

I totally get why you would be a bit hesitant of used parts, especially as it’s a bit of a nightmare stripping down the door. I did fit used ones to my old mk6 which never let me down (had them for over three years)

I'm a bit weary of buying a non-genuine part from GMF (apparently non-genuine regulators have a higher failure rate). I suppose it's a toss-up between £40-ish for a used OEM part and £124 for a new OEM part.

I'll need to buy a few clips for the door card as well - about £1 each from Day's. I did find these on eBay but feedback from other buys has put me off. They look identical to the OEM clips, though.

Good news - just had the motor off the door and it's fine; it spins fine and the plastic cog is intact. Looks like just a new regulator is needed. Still trying to decide between a used or new OEM part.

Bit of a nightmare scenario. I was checking the inner door card moulding earlier and noticed the top right-hand slot for one of the fasteners had been damaged - by me when I tried to put the door card back on a few weeks ago after trying to get the glass from out of the door. There's a white popper clip that is supposed to slot into the hole (attached photo) but looks like I tried to push the door card too hard and thus damaged the opening for the clip - so now the white popper clip does still slot in but it's loose and doesn't stay secure. I have a feeling I'll need to look for a new inner door card moulding.

20171028_155452-min.jpg

Right, found a new inner door card moulding from a local breakers yard. But I've noticed there's no wiring loom included. I think I can re-use mine but it doesn't seem easy to remove, especially with the rubber grommet - I've highlighted the area on a photo of mine. Any advice would be great!

20171010_102016.jpg

I removed my original loom and replaced it with an upgraded loom which included electric windows/mirrors, very easy to remove, just pop the grommet out the hole and keep it attached to your loom and swap it over to your new inner panel

• Like 1

I've just realised I'll also need to buy more clips. The white ones are £1.04 each from Day's - I'll need a couple more for the passenger door as some broke when I took the door card off. Does anyone know where I can get cheaper replacements?

I may also need some of the grey clips with the plastic sheath that goes around the thread. The new passenger door card comes with the plastic sheaths for the grey clips, so I may be able to re-use the remaining 2 from my passenger door for the driver door, if necessary (as that's lose from when my local garage tried to fix it before and broke some of the clips). The grey clips are £1.60 each and the plastic sheaths are £4 each from Day's!

20171030_191852.jpg

20171030_191929.jpg

Go to your local car breakers, you could get handfuls of them and you probably wouldn’t even have to pay anything for them [emoji106]

1 minute ago, Fiesta1.25 said:

Go to your local car breakers, you could get handfuls of them and you probably wouldn’t even have to pay anything for them emoji106.png

It was one of the first things I asked for at Pic-Up Spares in Swansea; they said they don't keep any of them. I'll ring around a few more in the area tomorrow but I don't have much hope.

• 1 month later...

After finally getting around to ordering the parts, I'm ready to fix the window. But I noticed a bit of damage on the back of my door card (pic attached) where it hooks onto a lip on the metal door frame. The very, very small broken section won't seem to affect the door card holding onto the door itself, but I'd like to glue it. Can't use plastic glue because the door card is polypropylene, but I have some Loctite superglue to hand. I've heard mixed things about Gorilla Glue, so I'm wary of buying it.

2017-12-09 15.52.53.jpg

Bit of a nightmare situation. The door latch fell down and got caught in the door when my friend closed it, so the door latch has snapped. Is it possible to replace that small plastic part or does the whole locking mechanism need replacing? I've highlighted the part in red, and the damage in yellow.

20171211_085622.jpg

You should be able to get one of those door latches from a car breakers yard,

27 minutes ago, Fiesta1.25 said:

You should be able to get one of those door latches from a car breakers yard,

Just had a quick look on eBay and the closest thing I could find is this.

The plastic isn't available separately.  The cable is separate from the latch mechanism though.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Fiesta-MK-V-Front-Door-Lock-Control-Cable-1372497-/182409541708

That's for 3dr I think (would be worth double checking) 5dr ones are different.

• Like 1