Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Streetka Interior Heating Issue - Full details of symptoms

evilempire13

I have had my '05 plate Streetka since June but only now have I had to turn the interior temperature up - and nothing! No heat, no matter where the dial is. I have tried a number of things (see below) and this has become a matter of pride! Here is what I have done, and other points to note:

Changed Heater Control Value with two different units (2nd hand genuine Ford, and brand new Genuine Ford)

Changed the heater control panel cleaning contacts

Bled the system (coolant cap off, up to fan running temp with heating on full)

Put a brand new cap on coolant expansion tank

Both hoses coming out the front of the Heater Control Valve are hot to the touch

There has NOT been a problem with the engine overheating

What should I be looking at next? - I am dying to sort this problem out!

Thanks in advance for your advice

I had not considered the heater core - I will have to do some research!

A member on here has offered some kind advice in relation to making sure the hoses going into the Heater matrix are the right way round. From the engine there are two hoses one above the other. What side of the valve should the "top" hose be connected to? Google images cannot seem to help!

The attached image shows the current state of play with the "top" hose connected to the right hand side connector

HCV.jpg

Well as an update I have taken the car apart again! Tested the voltage going to the HCV - on when dial on hot, off on cold, on and off with it is half way. The connected the HCV to it and could see the internal workings moving as they should when a current goes through. Flushed through heater core - no issues. Put back together. Kept coolant tank lid off and then left the car running until the fan kicked in with the heating on full. Hoses going into HCV red hot - those at the back luke warm. Took the hoses off to expel any air which took a few minutes. 

Long and short of it is there is still no heating. Hoses coming out at the back still cool to the touch. The only thing I can think of is an airlock, but I have tried everything, including massaging the pipes, revving the engine and gentle easing the hose off with the engine running...

Any other ideas?.......

If both hoses going to HCV are red hot that is odd because with the heater fan running full on the "return" hose should be cooler. It seems the HCV is in cold mode and the hot water hoses are by-passing?

Try with the power supply to the HCV unplugged.

Edited by kpat
Extra info

I would test the power supply to the HCV. Turn ignition on and check the voltage when set to hot and to cold. If it is the same it is the heater control switch that needs replacing. I can see you tried changing it but it may have been a duff one.

With the power supply unplugged it should force the HCV to fully open. Then you know you have a supply voltage problem.

Well I have finally got it working perfectly - following the changing of the HCV, and heating control panel, I went to replace the thermostat - and to my surprise there was not one there! Put a new one in and for some reason then only getting hot air through. Went on to change temp sensor and thermostat housing and it works like a dream. Thank you all for your tips!

No thermostat!  Who would have thought. That explains the no flow because there would be no pressure differential across the heater hoses. They are barely an inch apart on the thermostat housing. Well done!