Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 Tdci stalling on start up

Gallantfive

Hi,

My diesel fiesta has just started stalling on start up. It now does it every time when the car has been left a while i.e., when the engine is cold. It will fire on the first attempt but immediately run down and konk out, with immediate repeated attempts seeing the engine turn over vigorously but not firing. At this stage there is an engine malfunction warning. If I return after 30 minutes and warily keep the engine turning over with a little pressure on the accelerator the engine usually fires. When it fires I maintain high revs until it warms up. Once warmed up the car, engine, idle speed, etc., are excellent in every way, and should I stop when warm it will restart without any difficulty. When warm the engine malfunction warning disappears..

It seems to me that as the car works perfectly when warm it must be a heat as opposed to lack of fuel, computer or pressure issue, leading me to suspect the glow plugs. The car and its glow plugs have done 80k miles.

I see online that many Ford diesel car owners have suffered a similar start up issue to this but alas I cannot find a posted solution to the problem.

Can anyone help with a diagnosis? The car is regularly serviced, has a brand new battery and wants for nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there 

Have you had a good look at the fuel filter area and the feed lines to the pump ,sounds like the fuel is running back to the tank ie not holding vac ,when your cranking it over it is then pulling the fuel back up and starting 

Thank you so much for your reply. I will check it out over the weekend.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club