Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Has anyone had this happen?

Phil21185

I've just been to a local Jet station (and at £1.20 a litre I doubt I'll be going back but needs must)

I put in £20 and hit it exactly so I put the pump back and went to pay, not really taking notice of the price gauge after letting go of the trigger.

Lady at the till asks for £20.01.

I've had this a few times before in different places but not for a while. I brought it up and she sent someone who must have been called Malcolm (if you watch Lee Evans you'll know what I mean) to go and 'check' the pump.

Malcolm goes out to my pump, takes a glance at the readout and returns to the shop saying 'yep, 20.01'.

Thanks Malcolm, couldn't have done that without you...

Anyway, what gives?

• Haha 1

The last drip can tip it over sometimes as you pull the nozzle out and put it back on the pump.

I just fill up now, so don't really notice anymore.

I just pay by card now so like Alex, don't notice.

But I had a shock when I filled up my Fiesta quite soon after buying it. The petrol just pumped out all over the floor. It turns out the nozzle has to be pushed quite deeply in and through what must be a perfectly sized gap for it. After about 50p worth of fuel ended up dripping out I stopped and found that the nozzle wouldn't go in any further; it turned out that the end of the nozzle had been damaged and a small part had been bent outwards. I complained and didn't pay for the split fuel and just filled up with an undamaged nozzle, but I'm always wary of that issue now.

Hm. I have had it happen before though where I am about 95% certain (not deliberately paying close attention though) that the reading was, for example 20.00 when I put the nozzle back but when going to pay it's been a penny over...

Oh well...

My local Morrisons is the only petrol station near me where this happens, I'll put 20 quid in, jiggle the hose EXCESSIVELY (I always do that at any pump to get any last drops) it'll say 20 quid TILL I place it in the holder and suddenly 20.01p

I can't for he life of me remember where I saw this but I did see a video where the guy lifted the nozzle out of the 'holster' and just stood for a second and the screen started to very slowly count upwards. So after maybe 5 seconds the sale amount read £0.01 then after another 10s it read £0.02
I'm sure it was on some official programme

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I can't for he life of me remember where I saw this but I did see a video where the guy lifted the nozzle out of the 'holster' and just stood for a second and the screen started to very slowly count upwards. So after maybe 5 seconds the sale amount read £0.01 then after another 10s it read £0.02
I'm sure it was on some official programme

At £1.20 per litre, you've got 0.12p per ml. So for a penny, the pump has to pump out 8.3ml - that's quite a small amount in the grand scheme of things. If they used a dosing pump (metered by the actual pump), it would be ridiculously slow. I expect that the remaining fuel in the hose (moving through the sensing equipment, or pulling by siphoning effect) causes it to register another penny.

• Like 1

That's the one I was talking about

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club