Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

On 3/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, LesPes said:

Apologies jolah, just checked my parts in the garage it should be 1594594 and  as you say 1 594600. I also said in this thread that i have a heap of it left over. Send me a couple of small plastic screw top containers perhaps get em from a chemist with a post paid pouch and i will send anyone who wants any.

https://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/search.php?search_query=1594594    

https://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/ford/ford-1594600-activator-0-0/

On 4/4/2022 at 4:21 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Afaik this affected the Focus rather than the Fiesta.

Certainly a good idea to raise the turbo pipes issue with a Ford dealer. As you will see from earlier in this thread, some owners have succeeded in getting a new turbo out of Ford, others have had the epoxy coating applied.

If you stick to the Ford recommended 10 year interval, you will be needing that £1400 for a timing belt change in 4 years or so.

well i have seen a few like this in the fiesta mine the same as well as a friends 140bhp fiesta 16 reg

13 hours ago, 0bione said:

well i have seen a few like this in the fiesta mine the same as well as a friends 140bhp fiesta 16 reg

My reference to the issue affecting the Focus rather than the Fiesta, related to the degas hose, not the turbo pipes which is certainly a Fiesta issue.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know what temperature spec paint to get? Around what degrees celcius do those pipes get to

5 hours ago, Pigeon12 said:

Does anyone know what temperature spec paint to get? Around what degrees celcius do those pipes get to

I used Halfords gloss black high temperature engine paint says on 

tin 180  degrees Celsius,  did mine back in 2017 and I haven't had any

problems since , just repainted about 2 years ago. Always have look 

when checking oil etc, no sign of rust !

20200816_130724.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I went to Halfords and got some but this one is 300 degrees but the tin was similar.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, Hope it's not too late to revamp this thread haha. i’ve been reading through all the posts both here and different other platforms like the facebook group for failed ecoboosts. I recently acquired a 2013 (65k on the clock) 125hp petrol ecoboost titanium. Full stamps in service book (only a few at Ford though) and history. Driving yesterday, somewhat in traffic I saw the engine temp was up and went 1 bar above the limit, then came down with start/stop (i’m guessing?). Checked today and the coolant level was below minimum and can’t remember if i got the car like that but I’ve driven a good 400 miles already with no issues. In 2021 previous owner changed the expansion tank, water hose and turbo pipe (at a garage), guessing it still had the sh*t ones Ford fitted.

My concern is why has the coolant level dropped so much? I couldn’t see any obvious leak spots but haven’t checked the area under the clutch to see if the heating matrix (?) is leaking.

I can also see I have the mentioned rust spots on my turbo pipes and not sure if this is a rub down and paint situation or it’s too far gone and I should try to force Ford CRC to get this changed for free (lol free, right...) I thought the leak culprit could be the rusty spot on my coolant pipe joint?

spacer.png

Could something like this be the culprit for a leak?

spacer.png

The rust on turbo pipes.

spacer.png

I wonder if this topic holds the record for the longest thread 🙂

The corrosion on the pipes shown is minor. The pipes themselves are substantial (see pics).

Never heard of one leaking/failing - most 1.0 Ecoboost engines/turbos fail well before these pipes would ever be an issue!

As previous posters have said, the surface rust can be removed using abrasive paper/cloth and protected with a suitable high temperature enamel. Personally I would only do it for cosmetic reasons, not for fear of failure.

Edit: Forgot to say, get the coolant loss issue investigated soonest. The head gasket may already be failing but to drive it in that condition, with the temp gauge shouting too hot, could lead to a massive bill.

IMG_20230513_202420792[1].jpg

IMG_20230513_202411414[1].jpg

• Like 2

And - unless it's already been done - the car is due for a cambelt change which is very expensive on these engines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

And - unless it's already been done - the car is due for a cambelt change which is very expensive on these engines.

Off topic -  I thought this car was expensive but my friend was quoted 1700 by BMW to get the chain done on his MINI Cooper S lmao

• Sad 2