Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

Having read this thread I checked my engine late last week and have rust on the surface on both pipes (doesn't look to have gone deep at the moment. I took the car to my local Ford dealer for them to take a look and they said they were unaware of any issues and had never seen anything like it on an Ecoboost before. Their initial advice was to "keep an eye on it" but when I made my concern more clear the recommended rubbing the surfaces clean of rust and to apply some VHT paint to prevent further corrosion. I'll be sending an email to Ford UK to get their view on the problem, and I'll include these pics together with the link to the Danish info posted earlier. Given what appears to be a low number of cases I won't hold my breath for a positive response. The car has done 45k and has had 4 services since new.

IMG_0145.thumb.jpg.5d9785fb0a90e6400268ddf0e56d2eda.jpg

IMG_0147.thumb.jpg.182b7033af325d80dc6c3f1b1b846752.jpg

your dealer i would have thought should be looking at these pipes when in for service/repair and cleaning/coating as required.

unfortunatly it seems the inspection and repair is only for denmark . bit strange as surely the corrrosion wouldnt stop at the denmark border??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've sent an email to Ford and am waiting to be allocated a 'Case Manager' who will deal with my issue (i.e. probably tell me to get lost!). I'll update the thread when they get in touch.

• Thanks 1

Hmm. Bought a Fiesta for my wife 2 years ago and the salesman actually talked us out of buying an ecoboost car stating "reliability issues".

He probably just wanted to sell you the other car (Ecoboost's pretty much sell themselves given their popularity; other versions may need a bit of a push). :wink:

• Like 1

I visited my dealer this morning for them to take a look. They hadn't seen this issue before and weren't aware of the Ford Denmark announcement. They did however agree that it really ought not to happen at such an early age/mileage and managed to find a TSB (16-2088 I think if anyone has access to them?) which references the problem and, in cases where the corrosion is only slightly as in mine, the fix involving the application of a water-based epoxy primer and paint.

They took some photos and sent them off to CRC with a report and a request for warranty cover. CRC have just called to say that the warranty department have not honoured the request (with it being out of warranty and not a recall issue) but that they (CRC) will send me an £80 voucher to cover the cost of the repairs (£71?).

I'm obviously disappointed that the pipes rusted in the first place but accepting that they did I'm quite happy with the resolution.

• Like 1

what does the repair consist of? application of a water-based epoxy primer and paint? is that what costs £71? 

I didn't get the opportunity to read the TSB in detail but did my best to glean what I could on a angled screen! But, yes, that is likely essentially it. I'm sure there's some prep work to remove loose rust, masking off, perhaps a couple of coats (it's obviously important to create a non-permeable coating) etc. Thinking about it now I definitely saw two items to order and whilst I've assumed one of them is paint I'm thinking now that it might be tannic acid - the likes of Kurust and similar products, some of which can be quite expensive even in small amounts and so the primer could be left as the outer coating.

Do we have any Ford mechanics (or others with access to ETIS) that might be able to dig out the TSB?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

its the epoxy primer and the activator. only 1 coat needed

so is this some extra special ford stuff or is this something that can be bought under some other brand name that people can buy and do it themselves?. For example if it can be got for a tenner and someone has eg a 5yr fiesta with rust on these pipes they might rather do it themself rather than mess about with contacting ford, particularly if ford is 50 miles away for example

Is there any other useful information from the TSB you can share Ian? 

nope, thats about it, clean off rusty bits, wipe clean , apply the primer to both pipes and the hose clips if neccasary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MJNewton said:

I visited my dealer this morning for them to take a look. They hadn't seen this issue before and weren't aware of the Ford Denmark announcement. They did however agree that it really ought not to happen at such an early age/mileage and managed to find a TSB (16-2088 I think if anyone has access to them?) which references the problem and, in cases where the corrosion is only slightly as in mine, the fix involving the application of a water-based epoxy primer and paint.

They took some photos and sent them off to CRC with a report and a request for warranty cover. CRC have just called to say that the warranty department have not honoured the request (with it being out of warranty and not a recall issue) but that they (CRC) will send me an £80 voucher to cover the cost of the repairs (£71?).

I'm obviously disappointed that the pipes rusted in the first place but accepting that they did I'm quite happy with the resolution.

I've had a reply from Ford today who are going to discuss the matter with the dealer who looked at my car last week and they've promised to get back to me by Monday at the latest with an answer. Given that the rust on the pipes is similar to yours I'd be happy to have the same resolution.

I'm sure things will work out the same way for you, but if for some reason they don't send me a PM and I'll give you my case reference, the name of the person I spoke to etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJNewton said:

I'm sure things will work out the same way for you, but if for some reason they don't send me a PM and I'll give you my case reference, the name of the person I spoke to etc.

Cheers, will do.

Update on mine - dropped the car off at Ford Walthamstow this morning. Guy at reception didn't say much other than i asked him the cost of a replacement turbo and he said roughly £1k including labour. Obviously i'll be asking Ford CR to contribute to this cost, but if you have minor rust on these pipes i'd get it sorted before it becomes a problem like this.

I can't help but think that the suing culture of our colonial friends is the real reason behind this rather interesting and unexpected turn up for the books. Sign of thinks to come globally perhaps?

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/28/ford-ditching-three-cylinder-ecoboost-fiesta/

I think that's a very cynical view Gary. I honestly believe the demand for such small engines just isn't there in the US - indeed I've always been surprised to see the Fiesta itself, regardless of engine size, on sale over there as in my view it seems so out of place given the space, distance people drive, fuel prices, ubiquity of oversized vehicles and even the average size of an American all being factors that don't lend themselves to make small cars/engines all that popular.

My cynicism is entirely down to Ford themselves. And you have to admit that it's odd for a company to withdraw the engine it claims will be the saviour of us all with the word revolutionary used a lot in brochures (their own branding crap, not mine). It's a potential PR nightmare as it either shows that Ford have no faith in the EcoBoost or they don't care about the environment.

Oh, and I finally chuck something substantive in about my suspicion of the EcoBoost and that's wrong too?

Also worth noting that other manufacturers seem to be doing quite well there with small engines... Fiat Chrysler are selling more 1.4 turbo engines than they are 2.4 "tigershark" engines even though the 1.4 has a lower headline grabbing power output and the rather bland name of "multiair".

The level of care that Ford has in the environment, and the impact this consideration has on the design of its products, will be exactly proportional to that expressed by their buyers. In the US it's just not high up on the list as it is elsewhere... indeed for many I suspect it's not even *on* the list! Incidentally, I'm not saying you are wrong (how could I?) - I just think you are taking a cynical view by not taking this revelation at face value. For the reasons stated it is not unexpected to me - if anything my only surprise is that it didn't happen sooner.

• Like 1

This is why i will never buy a new car as every car gets there problems when new so they have to be sorted out,i will always go for around

a 3 year car so at least most problems have popped up.

This would never turn me off the eco-boost if i wanted one as i have the 1.6 ti-vct which does me fine.

I hope you get this pipe sorted out as rust on a turbo is not a good thing.

The thing is, this thread is talking about 2013 cars, all of which are coming up for 4 years old now with problems present at the time of manufacture still being found! 

@MJNewton any photos of the repair work?  Do you know if it a high temperature product or just standard epoxy? Thanks 

I've yet to have the work done as the goodwill voucher only came through yesterday. The thing is, the voucher can actually be used for any servicing/parts (excl. fuel and lubricants) and so I'm wondering if I should perform the work myself and spend the voucher on something else. The main driver is actually that I'm not keen on the thought of a mechanic chucking paint around my engine bay as even the photo in the TSB didn't seem to suggest that neatness of application was of any importance!

If I do do it myself I think I may just go for a standard Hammerite paint as it ought to exhibit all the required properties in terms of temperature (upto 150ºC), longevity, corrosion resistance etc. Available in a variety of colours too! ;-)

• Like 1