Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound from one speaker only - Aftermarket HU

Nirvana Flux

Hi,

I recently purchased the following Eonon stereo and had it professionally fitted in my 2009 1.6 Focus Zetec. Audio wise all appeared to be fine during my initial drive home. The Radio worked and the sound was much much better than the factory 6000 unit. Later that evening I tried to listen to music via bluetooth and Google Play music and I am only getting sound from the front left speaker. No audible  sound from the two rear Speakers and extremely low sound from the front right. At least 90% less than what's being produced by the front left. If I switch back to the radio or cd player (so non android apps) I get sound again. Switching back to an android app or bluetooth it reverts back to playing solely from the front left. On closer inspection after messing with panning, I also realised that not all Speakers are playing in radio/cd mode as the rear left speaker produces no sound. To add more mystery, some days whilst driving along the front right will increase to it's full volume by itself. Though this does not happen often. 3 times in the week I've owned it. 

The unit is essentially plug and play, there is no rewiring or patching as such. So there is no chance of wires being crossed or reversed. Although I removed it to check today (everything was fine).

I appreciate it's not a common HU, as with the other Xtrons, Joying, Pumpkin and so on- but does anyone have an idea as to what could be the cause? The car audio shop that fitted said it's a problem with the stereo's amp and the unit should be replaced. Is there anything I should try before having it removed and replaced?

20170907_142009_HDR.jpg

Replace it while it is still under warranty, the fault is obviously inside the headunit. If you want to repair it yourself, you can try resoldering everything around the amps, and along the audio (analogue) path from the bluetooth chip to the amp. Without schematics it is hard to be more specific.

When you are saying Android apps are you still streaming via bluetooth, or connecting to the 3.5mm jack (assuming there is one)? Can you also connect to the USB on the bezel, how does audio work then?

• Thanks 1

Hi tomtom70,

Thanks for your reply.

Nope, the apps are playing directly from the unit. To confirm these are not apps streaming from my phone  to the unit. I should have made that clear sorry. Essentially the head unit is running android 7.1 as it would for your standard tablet or phone, with its own internal harddrive and a few car specific software and hardware modifications. So apps such as Spotify, SoundCloud etc are installed directly on the hard drive and play through it. 

The USB on the front can be used for screen mirroring, playing music directly from a device and so on.

Re-soldering is way over my head, so I'll just opt to push for a replacement. Or at least once I've done the usual song and dance trying all of their suggestions. I just wondered if there was something I was missing.  I know it can sometimes be due to external amplifiers but my car doesn't have one. And it's super odd that it works for some music modes and not others. Or that bluetooth music streaming plays through one speaker but bluetooth calls play through both front Speakers.

The last bit sounds more like a software than a hardware issue, so that's the first thing to test once you get a replacement unit. If it is software (and this obvious), this should be known to the manufacturer (and UK importer), and they should be working on a fix (as software update). If it doesn't work I'd get my money back, and look somewhere else.

**Update**

Eonon contacted me to say they are going to create a software patch for what they think the issue is. Will let you know how I get on

All these units can be grouped into varying different hardware revisions - Eonon, Xtrons, Joying, etc, all use similar hardware but just have slightly different software on them. There is a massive discussion forum over at xda-developers.com for them (search MTCB,MTCD, and quad/octo-core radios).

Hi Micro, 

Cheers I'll head over and check it out.  I did notice that at the time and Eonon 'seemed' to have the least issues.  To be fair, with general scouting even at this stage they still seem to be fairly decent taking my issue out of it.

I finally received the software update today... and it did nothing lol.  It's actually worse with hardly no sound coming from any other Speakers bar the front left.  At least before I could hear a faint whisper.  I've requested a replacement, and additionally requested they send the replacement before I send the faulty unit back to them.  As I don't fancy driving around with an empty hole.  I'm pretty sure they'll refuse the latter. I know how most of these Chinese companies can be.   Will keep you updated all the same.

Cheers