Do Not Sell My Personal Information

clutch issues ?

mrmetallica

ive been having issues with the clutch.sometimes it seems as if its slipping .it doesnt happen all the time . i sometime change from first into second i excelerate and the revs rise fater then they should do other times its ok i thought it wa my age and i wasnt letting the clutch out fully but i have been .the car has only done about 48000 miles . is there a way of testing the clutch to see if it is going ?

You can try a gear that's way too high for accelerating so for example for me 6th gear would be pointless as it won't gain me any speed and the engine will be struggling at 30 mph but if your revs climb your clutch is on its way out. Bad explanation on my part but I couldn't think of a way of putting it.

to elaborate on the first reply, i normally try it on an upwards incline, say in third, but also touching the brake with my left foot to hold the car back. if the revs go up and car does not get faster then definitely slipping.  getting the braking just right with your left foot can be tricky, it's all too easy to jab it too hard. So best to do this without other cars around.

Mileage is not all that relevant to clutch wear, it is more about how it has been used.

I suppose there is a very slim chance it might be a hydraulic or pedal problem not fully releasing the pressure but very unlikely

1 hour ago, isetta said:

to elaborate on the first reply, i normally try it on an upwards incline, say in third, but also touching the brake with my left foot to hold the car back. if the revs go up and car does not get faster then definitely slipping.  getting the braking just right with your left foot can be tricky, it's all too easy to jab it too hard. So best to do this without other cars around.

Mileage is not all that relevant to clutch wear, it is more about how it has been used.

I suppose there is a very slim chance it might be a hydraulic or pedal problem not fully releasing the pressure but very unlikely

im hoping hydraulic or not releasing .could it be the clutch needs bleeding ? where is the bleed nipple if there is one .

any other thougts ? and wheres the bleed nipple ?

if it needed bleeding it would have the opposite effect. it would not slip. It would not disengage properly.  I can't advise where bleed nipple is

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, isetta said:

if it needed bleeding it would have the opposite effect. it would not slip. It would not disengage properly.  I can't advise where bleed nipple is

im wondering if it its not disengaging

If it wasn't disengaging you'd have trouble getting gears and they'd crunch in, complete opposite from slipping which is when gears go in easy but revs rise without speed increase as you said above.

If it's slipping there may be contamination on the plates, oil or water can get in if you've got any leaks above the gearbox.  Or more often the clutch slave cylinder leaks (weeps) a small amount of brake fluid onto the clutch plates.  Check the gearbox to engine join underneath (if possible) for signs of brake fluid leakage.  How does the pedal feel to use?  Is it spongy?  Does it return fully when you let off or does it stick down an inch or so?

Tbh it may just be that it's had a hard life, a lot of stop start traffic, drag races or a previous elderly owner can kill a clutch at low mileage.  Motorway miles are best for a clutch.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If it wasn't disengaging you'd have trouble getting gears and they'd crunch in, complete opposite from slipping which is when gears go in easy but revs rise without speed increase as you said above.

If it's slipping there may be contamination on the plates, oil or water can get in if you've got any leaks above the gearbox.  Or more often the clutch slave cylinder leaks (weeps) a small amount of brake fluid onto the clutch plates.  Check the gearbox to engine join underneath (if possible) for signs of brake fluid leakage.  How does the pedal feel to use?  Is it spongy?  Does it return fully when you let off or does it stick down an inch or so?

Tbh it may just be that it's had a hard life, a lot of stop start traffic, drag races or a previous elderly owner can kill a clutch at low mileage.  Motorway miles are best for a clutch.

the pedal seems to return properly it doesnt feel spongy .ive had the car from a year old from gates im not a boy racer and try to drive sensibly

Ok, well there probably isn't a fluid leak if it's not spongy, usually air would replace the lost fluid in the hydraulic system.  Full pedal return is also good, there were a few issues with the pedal getting stuck down on some Focus' which meant the clutch wasn't fully re-engaging and wearing the clutches out within a year from new, caused warranty issues as clutches are classed as wear and tear parts so not usually covered.

Speed is fine as long as the clutch is fully engaged when you boot it.  The wear comes from slipping or riding the clutch, sometimes it's unavoidable in traffic, especially following an auto that can creep slower than I can roll at idle in 1st or having to edge forward round a blind junction at the top of the hill.  Also did you see the lady with the Micra on 100 year old drivers last week?  I'd imagine she's had quite a few clutches despite never doing more than 30. :laugh: Does seem odd that yours should be slipping at that mileage with you knowing most of the history of it though. Think I'd check for any signs of leaks under the gearbox myself, could even be that the crank oil seal is leaking though usually they last higher mileage than that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club