Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct oil for MK2.5 1.6 TDCi (DV6) engine

FatHead1979

Hi all,

As discussed on my recent other thread, my father in law has bought a late model MK2.5 1.6TDCi and as I'm (apparently) his "Ford Guru" it's down to me to source the service items (he's mechanically competent and happy to do the service himself).

My Focus doesn't have a dpf so I've not had to worry about it, however his engine has a cDPF and it's the standard DV6 variant of the engine.

My question (finally) is that I know Ford have specs for appropriate oil (FORD WSS-M2C-913-B, FORD WSS-M2C-913-C, FORD WSS-M2C-913-D etc) but the oils officially recommended by Ford don't have a C rating i.e. C1-C4 for "low ash content" and this seems vital to protect a DPF.  It appears that although it's a PUG engine and PUG specify low ash oil Ford don't?!?

Could the guys who have have been running this engine over the last few years confirm specifically what oil they use?

Cheers

I had the same engine my C4 vtr+. Non dpf and I used Total Quartz INEO 5W-30 Low saps. It was Citroen recommend for my car but since the engines are the same ud think it wud be fine in the focus.

i have used magnetec for years in my fiestas. I have always bought it at asda or tesco when it's on special. I always have a spare one in case it's not on special offer when I buy it. Normally about £24-25 when on special offer for 4 litres.

eBay? there is fake top branded oil around. I don't know how you tell if it's the real thing or not

54 minutes ago, andypsp said:

5w30 is what you need on offer at halfords at the mo :smile: but may be found even cheaper on ebay etc

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-magnatec-5w30-a5-oil-4-litre

@isetta is the DV6 engine on the Fiesta the DPF version because I under the impression that the 90 BHP variant didn't have a DPF?

@andypspThat's standard 5w30 A5 grade oil, not low ash.  I'm currently leaning towards "Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5W30 " as it's C2 rated for ash and is designed AND recommended by PUG for Citroen/PUG engines.

On a vaguely related note I still find it strange that all the other companies that used the DV6 engine with DPF spec a low ash oil but not Ford?

what grade oil does it say in your your ford owners book ? i didnt think dexos low ash stuff was for ford cars

35 minutes ago, isetta said:

ebay? there is fake top branded oil around. I don't know how you tell if it's the real thing or not

how do you know the stuff your buying in the stores is real or fake. you don`t thats the joys of trusting the brand names and stores :smile:

Cud be just ford bein ford not recommending low ash oil. But it won't hurt Ur engine to run it.. 

Personally I'd run the Total Quartz.. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

Cud be just ford bein ford not recommending low ash oil. But it won't hurt Ur engine to run it.. 

Personally I'd run the Total Quartz.. 

It's what I'm going to recommend to the father in law, all the other car companies that run this PUG engine now recommend low ash oil and I can't see how it will cause any harm.  It's not like Ford have made major changes to the engine from the HDi variant. other than changing a few metal bits for plastic parts (making it more crappy/less durable....but cheaper to manufacture) the engine is the same as the HDi unit fitted by Peugeot/Citroen etc.

• Like 1

Mobil 1 Super 3000 FE 5w30 was the recommended one on here when I first joined, pretty sure it's low ash as well.

Main dealers just use the Formula F 5w30 in the DV6 engines, nothing special.  I'm now running that as well due to price.  

Tbh, how much oil does a DV6 really burn anyway?  Short journeys and stop start traffic will have a much bigger impact on the DPF imo.

Also, if you're securing a full service kit for a mk2.5 1.6TDCi, be prepared to pay more than a tank of fuel for the fuel filter on these! :ohmy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Mobil 1 Super 3000 FE 5w30 was the recommended one on here when I first joined, pretty sure it's low ash as well.

Main dealers just use the Formula F 5w30 in the DV6 engines, nothing special.  I'm now running that as well due to price.  

Tbh, how much oil does a DV6 really burn anyway?  Short journeys and stop start traffic will have a much bigger impact on the DPF imo.

Also, if you're securing a full service kit for a mk2.5 1.6TDCi, be prepared to pay more than a tank of fuel for the fuel filter on these! :ohmy:

I noticed!  A top quality fuel filter for my 1.8 TDCi is just a few quid, the cost of the filter for the DV6 was a bit of shock to me.

(It'll be a bigger shock to the father in law....lol) :whip:

Regarding what main dealers might use, Ford has a history of not giving a crap when design elements of the vehicles are below par.  I can just picture the conversation with Ford "customer services" when a customer who is still within warranty calls about a blocked DPF.  "Sorry sir, it's a consumable so it's not covered under warranty.  Sorry sir, it must be your driving style"  They had loads of issues with the clutches leaking fluid onto the clutch plate on MK3's, never recalled them and just played dumb when people had problems.  "No sir, no-one has EVER contacted us about this issue, there is definitely not a design fault/common issue, it's not covered under warranty so that'll be £1000 thanks". :wallbash:

Don't get me wrong, I love driving Ford cars but Ford UK's approach to customer service is appalling (the filter won't let me put what I really think) :angry: although I'm not sure any of the other manufacturers are any better when it comes down to it!

(RANT OVER...lol) :blush:

Daft thing is, it's not even a specific DV6 filter...it's literally specific to the Mk2.5 Focus DV6...the Mk3 Focus and the Fiestas use a different, much cheaper one lol!

Yeah, I totally agree regarding Ford customer service, it does seem to be noticeably worse than German customer service for example.  One of my mates sent his brand new Mk3 Focus back to Ford 46 times in 2 years... :laugh:  That had the 1.5TDCi engine which is basically a slightly smaller DV6...Ford still haven't been able to map the DPF and EGR in properly which caused a lot of the problems, diesel filling the sump and EGR causing a pull away jerk, same issues my 2008 model came with!  He has finally swapped it for something else now lol.

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Daft thing is, it's not even a specific DV6 filter...it's literally specific to the Mk2.5 Focus DV6...the Mk3 Focus and the Fiestas use a different, much cheaper one lol!

Yeah, I totally agree regarding Ford customer service, it does seem to be noticeably worse than German customer service for example.  One of my mates sent his brand new Mk3 Focus back to Ford 46 times in 2 years... :laugh:  That had the 1.5TDCi engine which is basically a slightly smaller DV6...Ford still haven't been able to map the DPF and EGR in properly which caused a lot of the problems, diesel filling the sump and EGR causing a pull away jerk, same issues my 2008 model came with!  He has finally swapped it for something else now lol.

It's a shame really because most Ford models are great to drive, look good and most parts aren't too expensive.  But they make odd decisions like the fuel filter choice and not doing recalls when they should do to save $$$$$$. :wallbash:

If Hyundai/Kia ever manage to produce cars that are a good to drive as a Fiesta/Focus I'd say they'll be in trouble.  Then you'd have similar cars to drive but one has a warranty that is more than double the other.  (Warranty length isn't the only important thing obviously but it sure would reduce the chances of any unexpected big bills).

but they don't do the quickclear windscreen.  I have my fiesta because I want a quickclear windcreen. If other makers did the same quickclear windcreen or the quickclear windscreen had never been invented  I would probably not have bought a fiesta. 

The bad news for Ford is their patent for the QuickClear windscreen has expired so other car manufacturers could make an exact copy now and there wouldn't be anything Ford could do about it.

They still have DAMN GOOD chassis engineers though!

• Like 1

Very true. I do like the handling on mine. Yes I miss rwd but I do like a nicely balanced fwd car esp with a bit of Lift of oversteer lol

Just now, Dave1981 said:

Very true. I do like the handling on mine. Yes I miss rwd but I do like a nicely balanced fwd car esp with a bit of Lift of oversteer lol

Problem with RWD in the UK is when we get a proper winter you need a 2nd car for getting to work i.e. a FWD vehicle.  The Focus ST (MK2 and MK3) are great for lift off oversteer :wub:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

The bad news for Ford is their patent for the QuickClear windscreen has expired so other car manufacturers could make an exact copy now and there wouldn't be anything Ford could do about it.

They still have DAMN GOOD chassis engineers though!

has it expired expired or have they "tweaked" the design a little to make it similar but different enough to have the patent renewed?  be surprised if they let that one go without a fight, Quick Clear front window is a god send. the number of mornings ive got up to a ice covered car to be clear and away before the neighbours even get a small patch of glass clear. i love it whatever car i buy in the future, it will have quick clear, no question.

My father in law was always impressed with my MK2 saloon from the day I got it (handling and the quickclear windscreen) even though he has driven BMW's for the last 15 years.

I got him over the Ford in the end :laugh:

Plenty of cars come with heated windscreens these days.  Admittedly it's usually an option or part of a 'winter pack' whereas Ford fit it to anything above the most basic trims.  Most VAG, JLR, Volvo, BMW, Fiat, Nissan, even Vauxhall and probably more.  

The issue I have with the Focus Mk2 quickclear screen is you can't clear the side windows by just opening them like you do on any other car, so need to get out and scrape those so it doesn't save carrying a scraper or much time... :sad:  It does work well as a demister though, when you get in the car with a wet coat on, drive for 5 mins and then the screen fogs over.