Share Your Car Experience
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

NeilRS

Auto gearbox indicator

I may be imagining this- but I'm sure the PRNDS next to the gear knob used to illuminate the setting you were in- in addition to telling you on the dash. They're still illuminated- but nothing highlighted what you're in.

am I imagining it?

thanks 

I think you are imagining it. Mine has never illuminated on the gear selector. Unless of course mine has always been faulty and yours has just become faulty !   

is there a need to move the gear lever into s mode if you can change the gears whilst in d mode? whats the difference?

S mode lets you rev higher before upshifts (when still in auto mode, i.e before you play with the paddles!) and it also changes your steering feedback (if set in the dash options. So you get a different, more sporty!!!, driving feel.

Also, D mode will  drop back into auto mode after avshort while, where as S mode stays in manual paddle mode until you switch back nto D. I use S a lot, as it gives better pickup after downshifting during breaking. In auto mode, the gearbox seems to preselect the wrong way not anticipating you are going to accelerate again rather than coming to a stop, i.e sharp bends, roundabouts, givecways, etc.

20 hours ago, simonb65 said:

S mode lets you rev higher before upshifts (when still in auto mode, i.e before you play with the paddles!) and it also changes your steering feedback (if set in the dash options. So you get a different, more sporty!!!, driving feel.

Also, D mode will  drop back into auto mode after avshort while, where as S mode stays in manual paddle mode until you switch back nto D. I use S a lot, as it gives better pickup after downshifting during breaking. In auto mode, the gearbox seems to preselect the wrong way not anticipating you are going to accelerate again rather than coming to a stop, i.e sharp bends, roundabouts, givecways, etc.

yes I've just experienced the preselecting the wrong way in the D mode. my first auto box car so thanks for your explanation. makes a lot of sense to me now!